Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Feb 2, 2008, 8:26 PM   #1

Anyone know where this term comes from?

Who it started with?

Just looking for a different opinion, as I first saw it used on this forum.

Dal

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2008, 12:08 AM   #2

Hi Dal,

It's generally accepted that LanceB, a very good amateur photographer from Australia on the DPR Pentax DSLR Talk forum, coined the phrase which at first was used as Lens Buying Addiction. This affliction only infects Pentaxians, though other brand owners sometimes show similar symptoms. The treatments are usually more expensive for them though.

There were later references to it also as Lens Buyers' Anonymous which is an organization to treat LBA (the affliction). Early references mentioned owning at least five lenses (for either the M42 or K mount) that covered 50mm to automatically qualify for membership. Sometime after that, the requirements were lightened to include just about anyone who was looking for or was wanting another lens for his/her Pentax. Posting the first shot from a newly acquired lens used to be required of members, but few, if any really follow this anymore.

Members of the organization help each other with their disease by offering support, usually in the form of humor, but always with understanding. It usually doesn't do much good, but what other than offering cheap lenses, really would. . . :-)

Pentax USA legitimized both IIRC, last year at Photokina when they printed up a bunch of official Pentax LBA stickers (I was able to score a few at the time!) and used the term in some of their ads.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2008, 3:48 AM   #3

i've seen the ads recently.
fortunately i've never had the affliction so can not attest to the accuracy of scott's post..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2008, 3:57 AM   #4

robar wrote:
Quote:
fortunately i've never had the affliction
ehrmm, I mean, interesting fact, Roy :bye:

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2008, 8:57 AM   #5

Interesting information, Scott. Roy - ah, one symptom of an addiction is denial. I figure I've controlled mine fairly well (limited budget and a love for quality lenses) but perhaps not. I do have 5 lenses that cover 50mm in some way or other - does that qualify me? And here I was thinking all my lenses (well, exept two of them) were all different.

I did a google search for lens buying addiction and almost all of the results had to do with Pentax cameras.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2008, 10:23 AM   #6

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Interesting information, Scott. Roy - ah, one symptom of an addiction is denial. I figure I've controlled mine fairly well (limited budget and a love for quality lenses) but perhaps not. I do have 5 lenses that cover 50mm in some way or other - does that qualify me? And here I was thinking all my lenses (well, exept two of them) were all different.

I did a google search for lens buying addiction and almost all of the results had to do with Pentax cameras.
Hits ha Pintax Thang fer sher!! Know a lod uv folkses wit udder brandz han nun uv theam hev hit!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2008, 12:20 PM   #7

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
robar wrote:
Quote:
fortunately i've never had the affliction
ehrmm, I mean, interesting fact, Roy :bye:

Kjell
guess i'm in denial kjell..:O

lets see...i haven't bought or sold a lens in at least a month..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2008, 12:52 PM   #8

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
* Roy - ah, one symptom of an addiction is denial.*

I do have 5 lenses that cover 50mm in some way or other - does that qualify me?*
Roy -- I hate to be the one to tell you, but I looked up the term in the new Webster's Unabridged, and your picture holding one of your BTs was the first thing in the definition. . .:-)

Harriet -- You definitely qualify -- Ya don't have to buy them all -- just wanting them -- all of them -- gets you a seat. . .:blah:

I'm including a shot of the official LBA sticker for any who might be interested. Using LBA in Pentax advertising was probably the brainchild of Ned Bunnell, who was, at the time, VP in Marketing for Pentax USA who occasionally posted on DPR, and is a surfer and photographer. Last year he was promoted to Pres of Pentax USA. He's a good guy. . .

Scott
Attached Images

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2008, 7:08 PM   #9

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
There were later references to it also as Lens Buyers' Anonymous which is an organization to treat LBA (the affliction). Early references mentioned owning at least five lenses (for either the M42 or K mount) that covered 50mm to automatically qualify for membership.
I guess I have then been officially cured since I just gave my son my Series 1 35-85 f2.8 to use on his K100...meaning I now only have four lenses covering the critical 50mm point. Whew! LBA sounds like it could be a serious addiction. Guess it's also good that I gave him my Vivitar 28-200 andmy 50mm f2.0 earlier. Wait....with his 18-55 kit lens, that means he's getting close to catching this disease..........
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2008, 7:55 PM   #10

I guess I am imune to LBA in that I only have a single lens at 50mm.

Now if you count the range of 16 - 17 - 18mm then I am going on to nearly 4 lens (counting a soon to be acquisition).
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote