Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Feb 4, 2008, 4:34 PM   #1

thought i'd do a quality test at different aps. the truth is this lens is sharp enough wide open. nothing a little usm can't handle. all shot in raw, used ACR auto and a fixed crop of 400x600 pixels. no resizing or PP after the images are opened. should have used a tripod as at f16 the speed got me.. i'm impressed with it especially being a 35 year old uncoated lens. or were the super taks coated once?? here's a shot of the full scene.
Attached Images

robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2008, 4:35 PM   #2

and the 100% crops. i can't tell the difference from f8 and f11..
Attached Images

Old Feb 4, 2008, 5:38 PM   #3

Hi Roy,

Is this a screw mount lens? I know next to nothing about "K" Takumar models, but I believe that the M42 Super Taks were SMC, and dust and weather sealed as a nice bonus! They were, if I understand correctly, the precursors to the K mount * lenses.

Here's a link to features and specs for the M42 Super Takumar 300/4:

http://whitemetal.com/pentax/st_300_....htm#construct

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2008, 6:43 PM   #4

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi Roy,

Is this a screw mount lens? I know next to nothing about "K" Takumar models, but I believe that the M42 Super Taks were SMC, and dust and weather sealed as a nice bonus! They were, if I understand correctly, the precursors to the K mount * lenses.

Here's a link to features and specs for the M42 Super Takumar 300/4:

http://whitemetal.com/pentax/st_300_....htm#construct

Scott
Super Takumars were coated lenses but not the Super Multi-Coated lenses of the early K mounts. They did use rare earth materials in the Contruction of the glass for the lens and this helped with the CR much as the SMC does. The bad part as Roy knows is the lens of the Supertakumars with age will yellow somewhat and require UV Rays to bring them back. The sharpest 135mm and 200mm lenses I've owned were Super Taks. There is something in the feel of these lenses that you don't quite get from K mount lens. Just saw a Super Takumar 300mm F/4 sell on Ebay. Nice price too. That is one I'm looking to get either the Super Takumar or a M* or an A*. I have a decent Vivitar 300mm F/5.6 TX screw mount but the Super Tak is calling to me...One Day...One day soon....

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2008, 7:44 PM   #5

scott and dawg,
it's the super tak M42 model. there is absolutely no yellowing in this lens and i've never seen it in others. i know the m42 50s have this problem but i don't think the 300s had the same glass in them.. it's still a great lens for the buck..

roy
Old Feb 4, 2008, 8:15 PM   #6

robar wrote:
Quote:
scott and dawg,
it's the super tak M42 model. there is absolutely no yellowing in this lens and i've never seen it in others. i know the m42 50s have this problem but i don't think the 300s had the same glass in them.. it's still a great lens for the buck..

roy
The one on Ebay was a K-mount M model and it went for 205.00 plus 16.00 shipping I think! I like the Super Takumars a lot and have several I'll never part with no matter how much the wife keeps hinting.

Dawg
Old Feb 6, 2008, 3:46 PM   #7

dawg, look for a viv200/3.5.. you'll like it. i've gotten 6 and haven't spent more than $23 on any of them.. delivered

roy
Old Feb 6, 2008, 6:09 PM   #8

robar wrote:
Quote:
dawg, look for a viv200/3.5.. you'll like it. i've gotten 6 and haven't spent more than $23 on any of them.. delivered

roy
Roy there are 2 or 3 up for bids right now at about that price...wife won't let me bid on any for another month or so!

Dawg
Old Feb 6, 2008, 10:00 PM   #9

he!!,
how can she bit^% about 20 bucks ??

roy
Old Feb 7, 2008, 12:23 AM   #10

She still has the first penny she ever saw pinched between thumb and forefinger!

Dawg