Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Feb 11, 2008, 12:51 PM   #1

Hi, I'm thinking about getting a used MF 135mm off Ebay, but there're several of them like Takumar Bayonet f/2.5, Pentax M f/3.5, Pentax A f/2.8... But I don't know which gives the best IQ to get.

I really appreciateif someone tell me their experience with any of those lenses. Is there any better one beside those (with the price range of less than $100).

Thanks ahead.
Ken T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2008, 1:49 PM   #2

I've had a Pentax SMC M 135 f/2.8 and I imagine the A would be slightly better IQ! The Screw mount Super Takumars are good too especially the f/2.5's. The Takumar Bayonet is one of the lower priced Pentax line but still have good image quality. If it was me I'd go for the A in Kmount! Just my opinion!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 6:09 PM   #3

I have the Takumar Bayonet f2.5 lens - it came as part of a kit with the Pentax ME camera my (then) boyfriend bought me.Mine quite sharp, but low contrast (works in its favor for really bright flowers as it shows more detail than brighter lenses will, but it takes lousy sunset pictures) and since it doesn't have the SMC coatings, it suffers from flare if shooting into the sun. I rather enjoy going out occasionally with mine as it is sharper than my DA 50-200, even before I started having trouble with it. The lens has a poor reputation, and should be very cheap - if you can get one for very little, it might be worth taking a chance on it.

The SMC M 2.8 and SMC A f2.8 would both be better lenses (and should be more expensive).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 6:53 PM   #4

the Takumar Bayonet f/2.5 is a toss up if it will be good or a paper weight. i've had 1 of each both gotten for under 20usd delivered. the A is actually rated poorer that the M or the K. the K ,58mm filter is probably the best of the bunch but sells for 200+usd.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 12:56 AM   #5

Wow! Thank you all Dawg, Mtngal and Roy. That's alot of informations that may take me a long time to find (by myself) without your help.

So the K is out of my reach, then I better eying on the M and A because I can't neither afford to have a Takumar Bayonet as a paper weight (a rock is cheaper :G)

Today at work, when me and my co-worker were talking about our hobbies in life,I told him how recently I interested in photography andalready jumped into it and got a K10D. He told me one of his old friends may had some old Pentax lenses left, and may sell them. I asked him to call his friend to see what those lenses were, and if he wanted to sell then how much. Found out he had aPentax M 50mm f/2 and a Pentax A135mm f/2.8 and some Chinons (?), but I only put attention into the A 135mm. When asked, he only wanted to sell both the Pantaxes together, and the asking price was$120 delivered. I told him tolower the price, but hesaid the price was firm because both the lenses were in mint condition. I told him I need to think about it, he said fine, whenever I want to get them, they will be there becausehe needn't to sell them.

So what do you think? Is that a good price,OK, little high ortoo highfor those 2 lenses?

Again, thanks for all the infoall 3 of you gave me.

Ken

(Please excuse for my poor English, my writing just like aYugo on a dirt road :sad
Old Feb 12, 2008, 11:53 AM   #6
TDN

I'm recieving a Pentax-M 135mm f3.5 tomorrow or the day after. I'll post you some samples as soon as I have the chance.

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 1:02 PM   #7

I know nothing of those lenses but this site has a lot of info about the various Pentax lenses including anecdotal reviews by some of the people that frequent there.

http://stans-photography.info/

Dennis
Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 7:27 PM   #8

A little high unless that much money is peanuts to you. More realistic is about 70-90 dollars US. And they need to be in close to mint condition! My opinion only...Others may disagree!

Dawg
Old Feb 13, 2008, 1:15 AM   #9

Tom,

That's great! Here I amwaiting to see those pics from you.

Dennis,

Thanks for the links. That's a great help. A whole road of information there.

Dawg,

That's what I thought. In my mind, when I first heard about them, I put like $30 for the 50mm and $60-$70 for the 135mm, and the total should be around $90-$100 to be right. But now there's still $20 different, that may not be much to some, but with me thinking of with that $20 I can get a decent dinner for my 2 kids then, so I pushed on the break and stopped me right there, hoping some day he'll change his mind.

Thanks for giving out your opinion Dawg.

BTW, curiously I searched to look for picture of the K 135mmto see if it looks any different with the others, but I couldn't find. Is there any site containing its picture?

Thank you all.

Ken
Old Feb 13, 2008, 10:05 AM   #10

Ken T wrote:
Quote:
Tom,

That's great! Here I amwaiting to see those pics from you.

Dennis,

Thanks for the links. That's a great help. A whole road of information there.

Dawg,

That's what I thought. In my mind, when I first heard about them, I put like $30 for the 50mm and $60-$70 for the 135mm, and the total should be around $90-$100 to be right. But now there's still $20 different, that may not be much to some, but with me thinking of with that $20 I can get a decent dinner for my 2 kids then, so I pushed on the break and stopped me right there, hoping some day he'll change his mind.

Thanks for giving out your opinion Dawg.

BTW, curiously I searched to look for picture of the K 135mmto see if it looks any different with the others, but I couldn't find. Is there any site containing its picture?

Thank you all.

Ken
Here is THE place to find out about K mount lenses Ken!

http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/lenses/prime.../K135f2.5.html

The Small smc and the capitol SMC tell you the different models.

Dawg