Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Feb 14, 2008, 10:33 PM   #1

... but not quite so soon.

I'd been wanting to get a macro lens for a while now. Sort of did some research from all the help I got here a few months back. Wasn't totally positive on what I wanted, holidays got in way, was sick for a month, and had sort of decided that if a Vivitar 105 ever became available again I'd jump on it.

Well, just two days ago I had checked Trader Jim's to see what was available. Threw a Pentax Samsung AF mt 28-80mm Auto Focus Zoom Sigma lens that supposedly was good for macro into my watch list. This morning was notified it was to end in 3 hours. At first decided to let it go. But, on the way to work thought, well, I could make an offer of $40 and if it got accepted it must have been meant for me. The buy it now price was $49. I checked around when I got to work and amazon was showing it for $69.95, so went for it. The reviews there seemed to like this lens. He accepted my offer and it is already shipped.

I told my husband about it tonight when I got home and that some day I'd get the 105. That at least this 28-80 would help me determine what lens length I was really going to be wanting to use and was only out $40 ($52 with shipping) if nothing else.

So, all you pros out there. I was coming here tonight to ask forpros and cons on it before it gets here.Comments anyone?

Patty

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2008, 11:17 PM   #2

patty,
i had this lens($17) and did not shoot anything in macro mode so i can't say anything about it in that mode. my experience??
build quality== fairly poor
images, long distance===ok
close focus non-macro=== exceptional at the time i used it
ended up selling it for 38total
i can't remember the macro range being being more than 1:3 or 4
in other words it may help you decide if you want to do macros..
Attached Images

robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2008, 11:17 PM   #3

DA^^,
it's time for the SQL errors to end!!
JIM??? you listening???

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2008, 6:41 AM   #4

Hmmm. Well, at least I'm only out $52.

Did I read the macro range wrong then in his blurb?

This Sigma28-80 f3.5-5.6 is an older model lens that willwork with all Pentax 35mm or digital SLR cameras. Also works on the Samsung digital SLR. It is compatible and fully functional for auto exposure and auto focus.

Features Aspherical optics that deliver outstanding color rendition and accuracy. Incredible macro capability allows you to photograph down to an area as small as 36x52mm (1:2)

Zooms from 28-80mm which is great for general photography. Very compact and small so its easy to travel with and leave on the camera as your primary lens.

Brand new in the box. Comes as shown with front and rear caps andmatched lens shade.

I had figured I could trust "Jim". And, the reviews I had read on it from others were all fairly positive. One person wasn't happy that it was hard to manual focus. Other than that, they were satisfied.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2008, 9:48 PM   #5

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
Hmmm. Well, at least I'm only out $52.

Did I read the macro range wrong then in his blurb?

This Sigma28-80 f3.5-5.6 is an older model lens that willwork with all Pentax 35mm or digital SLR cameras. Also works on the Samsung digital SLR. It is compatible and fully functional for auto exposure and auto focus.

Features Aspherical optics that deliver outstanding color rendition and accuracy. Incredible macro capability allows you to photograph down to an area as small as 36x52mm (1:2)

Zooms from 28-80mm which is great for general photography. Very compact and small so its easy to travel with and leave on the camera as your primary lens.

Brand new in the box. Comes as shown with front and rear caps andmatched lens shade.

I had figured I could trust "Jim". And, the reviews I had read on it from others were all fairly positive. One person wasn't happy that it was hard to manual focus. Other than that, they were satisfied.

Patty
Only time will tell with it Patty. I did Have a A Takumar 28 80 that was very good on the macros and I believe it was a 1:3 macro. I loved it for a walk around lens. The Sigma may turn out that way for you as well. You will be the judge of that. Hope it works for you!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2008, 2:51 AM   #6

I have an elderlyRickenon 35-70mm f/3.4-4.5. It is heavier than my DA 18-55mm, but somewhat shorter. It balances beutifully on my K10D. The lens has Macro written on it, although that is in play at the finish of the regular focusing ring, so it isn't what I would a dedicated Macro feature, just a close focus.

The near focus limit is about nine inches from the objective lens. It is quite sharp where I usually try to shoot, near F/8.

I note that the span of the zoom is almost identical to the DA 18-55, just a little extra tele in it.

I am getting to the point that almost every shot I take I set the camera up for manual operation. My eyes are very good (specs assisted), so I have no trouble getting an eye focus. When I am making a lot of shots in poor lighting, I wear a head lamp (the kind of head that sits atop the neck) to give a spot to get visual clarity on which to tune my focus. My wife can't always tell whether I am playing spelunker or photographer. Seriously, though, the method works for me.

I love this 30-70mm lens. Being made for a Ricoh, I had to remove the little pin.

Old Engineer
Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote