Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Feb 16, 2008, 9:26 PM   #1

Hi All,

Fot those who might be interested, Photozone has posted their test of the new DA*200.

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/Pent...-f28-ed-if-sdm

Ned Bunnell, Pres of Pentax Imaging, USA also posted some samples from a production copy.

http://nedbunnell.blogspot.com/2008/02/test.html

To me, it looks pretty good, but I'm gonna pass. It's not long enough for my purposes, and I do have an A*200.

I guess it'll be available pretty soon here.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2008, 10:51 PM   #2

It looks like it has serious CA in extreme contrast situations. That said, my A*200 seems to have the same problem, but only in very extreme situations.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2008, 6:05 AM   #3

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi All,

Fot those who might be interested, Photozone has posted their test of the new DA*200.

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/Pent...-f28-ed-if-sdm

Ned Bunnell, Pres of Pentax Imaging, USA also posted some samples from a production copy.

http://nedbunnell.blogspot.com/2008/02/test.html

To me, it looks pretty good, but I'm gonna pass. It's not long enough for my purposes, and I do have an A*200.

I guess it'll be available pretty soon here.

Scott
Comparable in Canon mount is in $650-700 range (for L & USM lens No SR though). I am surprised by the price level. Obviosuly it is pricey to make as Pentax has the no price advantage point at all.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2008, 12:09 PM   #4

The review said that the DA* 200mm was a full-format lens. Is that correct?

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2008, 2:46 PM   #5

Illuminati wrote:
Quote:

- Jason
Hi Jason,

I'm not an optical engineer (and haven't stayed at a Holiday Inn for many years :-) ) , but I've read that there is no real size advantage for APS-C optimized lenses in most telephoto lengths. I imagine that utilizing the existing optical design was a lot more cost effective than making a totally new lens from scratch.

It's interesting to note that from the specs, the DA*300/4 is apparently a different design, differing from the M*/A*300/4 and the F*/FA*300/4.5 with 8 elements in 6 groups (as opposed to 8/7 for the M* and A*, and 9/7 for the F* and FA*). It's actually bigger and heavier than any of these models (closer to the K 300/4), but it's faster than the F*&FA* (and supports SDM), and optically different than the A* in that it's (IF), has ED element(s), and the dual AF systems over the A*. I think that the weight increase comes from the SDM motor and workings plus the non-removeable tripod mount (which the FA* lacks and the F*'s mount was removeable, and I don't think they included it in the weight spec). The DA* also focuses about 20" closer than the F*/FA*.

I'm also doubting that I'll be trading the FA*300/4.5 for the faster (and quieter) DA*. It would have to almost unbelievably good to even tempt me.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2008, 11:41 PM   #6

Illuminati wrote:
Quote:

- Jason
All DA lenses are APSC and not full frame.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 9:02 AM   #7

Jason - I picked up on that in the review, also. It is interesting and could make the DA*200 more interesting - up until now all of the DA lenses weren't. It does seem like a sensible thing to do, to essentially copy another very successful lens.

I'm not sure I'd be tempted by the DA*300 or not - yesterday I was out shooting birds on a pond, and blew the focus on every single one, using the A*300. I think I need to check either my glasses, the dioper adjustment on the camera or something...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2008, 9:21 PM   #8

Illuminati wrote:
Quote:

- Jason

It appears almost the same as FA*200mm - 9element /8 gr 77mm . The only difference seems to be the sdm . It appears to be almost a reissue of the FA* lens

Although it is in Chinese (Chinese Pentax site ) this may shed some light on some physical difference, more like similarity when compared with the FA*

http://forum.pentaxfans.net/showthread.php?t=60775

The FA* new price was like $900. The DA* is available in Japan at around $1,300. When price has settled down, it is likely to be around $1,100

Daniel

ps edited later : I am not sure if my order went through for it yet re http://www.ephotocraft.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=027075139213
Old Feb 27, 2008, 6:10 PM   #9

While waiting for my Tamron 70-200mmF2.8 zoom I got something even more exciting , a DA*200mm. My daugher at DC has picked up for me the DA*200mm and I have to figure it out how I am to go through the minefield of snow territories around Buffalo area to reach DC. Talking about hard to get lens . I believe it is the 2nd one delivered in the States. Hopefully the shortage of AF longer lenses is over

Geez what I am doing?

No LBA shots yet. But just as exciting

Daniel
Old Mar 1, 2008, 8:46 PM   #10

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
I have to figure it out how I am to go through the minefield of snow territories around Buffalo area to reach DC.
There we go again, more Buffalo Bashing. I recently posted a thread on what a mild winter we're having in Buffalo. The storm we were supposed to get fizzled out, although the roads got pretty slick for awhile. The potholes in the roads will offer more resistance to you than the snow this year.

Daniel, Iwouldbe happy to assist you in finding your way through this minefield for a few minutes with that DA*200 on your way back to Toronto.

I was just looking at those photo's your daughter took, and they are impressive!

Have a safe trip.

Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote