Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Feb 19, 2008, 5:24 AM   #1

Hoya Zoom & Macro 35mm - 105mm f3.5. it has aperture f3.5 to f16 with no intermediate stops. It's in mint condition BTW.
It's one of a job lot I bought on Ebay. I've only recently started experimenting with this lens ... In use at the long end it's very soft at f3.5 and f5.6 tack sharp by f8, at the short end it's soft at f3.5 tack sharp at f5.6 upward.
It's performance as a macro lens is what puzzles me ... to engage macro mode the zoom ring has to be turned to 35mm it can then be slid back towards the mount in this position it will macro between 35mm and 85mm(see pictures). At 35mm it's in focus at about 30" ... at 85mm it's in focus at approx 6". The odd feature is that the focus ring has little or no effect over it's whole range when you're in macro mode. At whatever distance you choose focus is adjusted with the zoom ring.
Google searches haven't turned up any info, so if anyone knows of or can direct me to any site where I can find out more it would be appreciated.
I haven't checked yet what degree of macro it will produce.

BTW these images were taken with a Canon P&S for the simple reason it's more convenient and it does a good job. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2008, 9:14 PM   #2

New to me Jack...Have you tried googling it?

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2008, 3:25 AM   #3

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
New to me Jack...Have you tried googling it?

Dawg
Hi Ed,
I've googled till I'm blue in the face, but no joy ... I did find another one for sale on ebay USA a few days ago, but no further info than I already have from that. Since posting I checked it's macro capability ... assuming I'm using it right, and I don't see how else I could use it, it doesn't seem as if it will do any better than about 1:5 which is hardly worth using at all. I don't think it's damaged in any way, as I said earlier it's in mint condition ... doesn't look as if it has had much use at all, virtually as new. ... Jack
Old Feb 20, 2008, 11:01 AM   #4

If it is a early 70's or late 60's lens...Macro lens were not that generally used then if I remember correctly. How does it do for landscapes?

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2008, 12:22 PM   #5

MY NEW A35-105/3.5 IS A LOT LIKE THIS ONE ALSO.. oops
mine's a 2 touch and when you go into macro at the close focus range then the entire focus ring pushes forward about 1/4'' or 6mm. i guess it's moving a lens group into position. when in the macro mode i do have a small amount of focus range at all mags but it's slim..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2008, 3:38 AM   #6

Ed ... Judging by the other lenses in the lot(mainly Tamron Adaptall 2) I'd date it late 70s or thereabouts. I haven't shot anything seriously with it yet, so can't comment on landscapes, I'll try that soonest, but weather has taken a turn for the worse last couple of days.
Roy ... I'll try the lens again in macro mode, I could see very little change in the viewfinder when turning the focus ring, and can't recall if I heard the focus bleep at all, the close ups it does are very sharp at any aperture above wide open. ... Jack