Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Feb 25, 2008, 9:40 AM   #11

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
So, how important is weight to you? What is your budget?
Thanks everyone for your valuable inputs.

JohnG, I am ready to spend ~500 $ for a reasonably good quality lense, weight is factor for me, but I'd rather ignore that for having great shoots.But I must say as I just entered into the DSLR world with Pentax K100D Super, I need a good quality all purpose zoom lense, so I can carry it when I travel to shoot nature, wildlife.

I would like to have a lense so I can learn photography before I spend more money buying pro level DSLR and lenses.

Thanks again
Shalvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2008, 10:04 PM   #12

Might I suggest the sigma 170-500mm ...

You will need a lens to cover the inbetween, but the 170-500mm is out there for around 550 I think
Chesslanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 4:16 AM   #13

Just a short note - some Tamron lenses have "A" functions when set to f=32 (i.e. the 90mm macro lense does that). The lense itself can't go to that f-stop, it's "virtual number" like the "A" on other lenses.

If in doubt, ask the seller if the lense can do that.

With an AdaptAll-2 "A" adapter that function will be available on a pentax dSLR camara, too.

I got that information from another photography forum.

HTH,
Th.

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 7:18 AM   #14

thkn777 wrote:
Quote:
Just a short note - some Tamron lenses have "A" functions when set to f=32 (i.e. the 90mm macro lense does that). The lense itself can't go to that f-stop, it's "virtual number" like the "A" on other lenses.

Thanks for that info TH, I didn't know that. will have to look out for an AD2 - A adaptor, since I have a few lenses that could have that facility,... hope I can find one at the right price, I have noted that they go for much higher prices on Ebay than the manual only ones. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 7:42 AM   #15

@jachol

You are welcome. I didn't know that, too - but a while ago some1 offered a Tamron 90mm macro lense with AdaptAll-II and I had a short conversation with him because I wanted to make sure it would work on my *ist DL2.

Unfortunately someone else was willing to pay more for that lense than me so I can't tell you firsthand if it really works that way.

As for AdaptAll-2 "A" Adapters - prices are insane to my mind, I tried to find one too in the last weeks because there was a very nice Tamron lense available but without that adapter... oh well. Usually you can tell the Adaptall-II apart when the seller adds good pictures and you can see all (I think 3) contacts necessary for "A" setting. And iirc it also says P/KA instead of only P/K on the mount.

That one (AdaptAll-2 with "A" contacts) and a Pentax-AF 1.7 adapter are things where I can't understand that production has ended. I am sure a lot of people would buy those (along with some other nice old "M" / "A" lenses that areend of production - but that's another story) - so why not produce and sell some? :?

Happy Easter,
Th.

P.S: Anyone else has got "white Easter" this year? Everything was white outside this morning... temperatures around 0°C and below, 1m+ new snow fell in the mountains over the last days - what a crazy weather!!!
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 8:04 AM   #16

thkn777 wrote:
Quote:

That one (AdaptAll-2 with "A" contacts) and a Pentax-AF 1.7 adapter
OK TH, I've added the A adaptor to my LBA wish list, the Pentax-AF 1.7X adaptor was already there, but as you say prices on that item are ballistic, doubt I'll ever find one at my price, but I can dream. I'm searching out more info on the Tamron AD2 lens auto capabilities. ( If anyone has info please post it.)
Just for info we had a sprinkling of snow this AM, nothing of any consequence, and it soon melted off in the morning sun.
Easter greetings to you and yours, and all other readers. ... Jack
Old Mar 24, 2008, 1:52 PM   #17

Hi TH and Jack,

Setting a Tamron Adaptall2 with a PK/A adapter to the minimum aperture value is indeed the same as the "A" setting, allowing Auto Aperture and exposure with Pentax DSLRs.

Most of what I know about Adaptall 2 lenses was found here:

http://www.adaptall-2.com/

For me, it's an invaluable and trusted resource. I have found the reviews and information to be pretty accurate. I currently have 4 A2 lenses, and there might be a few others that I'd like, but am willing to wait for the right price.

The A2 line of lenses was officially discontinued last year, or possibly the year before. I believe the reasons are that they won't meter automatically on many of the (non Pentax) DSLR bodies, and are obviously manual focus only. Since the Pentax DSLRs have the backwards compatibility to use the full potential of these lenses, the PK/A mount for these lenses has come to be a valuable commodity, as are the best of the lenses in the line. Since you can also meter with fully manual lenses with a Pentax DSLR, you can also take advantage of the excellent optics of the better A2 lenses by getting a PK adapter (without the electrical contacts), which are still pretty widely available for @ $25 USD.

The F1.7x AFA, in addition to being an excellent TC optically, adds Auto Focus capability to these lenses, so is a very good match with the best of the Tamron A2 lenses, if the 1.7x mag is appropriate for the lens. I use it regularly with my A2 lenses, as they are all fast teles, except for the SP 500 f8 Mirror which is unfortunately too slow, but is an interesting lens nontheless.

The AFA works very well with my SP 180/2.5 (to get a 306/4.3), SP 80-200/2.8 (to get a 136-340 f4.8 ), and SP300/2.8 (to get a 510 f4.8 -- and when stacked on the A2 140F 1.4x TC, a 714 f6.7). All these lens combos AF well under reasonable lighting conditions, and are, comparatively compact, light and very sharp for lenses with these specs, not to mention very inexpensive (if you find the right deal. . . :-)).

Realize there might be some issues with the PK/A A2 adapters. Some don't register correctly for the Auto aperture (won't show the aperture in the viewfinder), and I've found that some aren't adjusted to close the aperture blades fully, but both of these problems can usually be corrected pretty easily, even if you're mechanically challenged :-). If you manage to obtain one of these problem adapters, post here and someone will probably be able to help.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2008, 2:14 PM   #18

thkn777 wrote:
Quote:

As for AdaptAll-2 "A" Adapters - prices are insane to my mind, I tried to find one too in the last weeks because there was a very nice Tamron lense available but without that adapter... oh well. Usually you can tell the Adaptall-II apart when the seller adds good pictures and you can see all (I think 3) contacts necessary for "A" setting. And iirc it also says P/KA instead of only P/K on the mount.

Th.
If Tamron is expanding the Adaptall line up, this line has some potential. Without Tamron revising the line up, the PKA adapter is way overpriced.
If you want to dig out old adapter, I would rather get the 645 to K adapter as it allows you to use the 645 lens now on your k body. If somehow 645D materialises, all its lens all its current lenses will appreciate if price

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 4:58 AM   #19

Thanks for the info Scott, it's very informative. I'm aware of the website you posted, if I've read there about the AD2 PKA adaptor, it must not have sunk in. LOL
Old Mar 30, 2008, 1:48 AM   #20

I reiterate what JohnG said about the 70-300 sigma: it's soft anywhere near the 300 end. I wanna say 200-250mm is ok, but 300 will definitely not give you good detail. I used the lens to shoot birds - haha, that is, take pictures - that congregate by the bird feeder on my parents deck. I was maybe 10-15 feet away at most in order to get a decent frame. So, if you want to shoot wildlife that's more than 15 ft from you, it needs to be big or you're going to want a much longer tele.

Maybe try to borrow someone's lens or rent from somewhere to find what range you're satisfied with.
pwithem is offline   Reply With Quote