Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 31, 2008, 10:03 AM   #21

I actually have an use the Tamron 70-300mm DI, I do not find it soft anywhere, and I use it a lot with the Tamron 1.4TC and get reasonably good pictures, you can see examples at my gallery.
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 10:25 AM   #22

2many wrote:
Quote:
I actually have an use the Tamron 70-300mm DI,* I do not find it soft anywhere,* and I use it a lot with the Tamron 1.4TC and get reasonably good pictures,* you can see examples at my gallery.
Hi,
I'll back 2many on this issue, I too have the Tamron 70-30mm Di LD ... I haven't found any softness either, can't comment on Using the 1.4X TC as I don't have one in a K mount. I have had some CA in high contrast shots, easily cleared in PP. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2009, 8:57 AM   #23

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi TH and Jack,

Setting a Tamron Adaptall2 with a PK/A adapter to the minimum aperture value is indeed the same as the "A" setting, allowing Auto Aperture and exposure with Pentax DSLRs.

Most of what I know about Adaptall 2 lenses was found here:

http://www.adaptall-2.com/

For me, it's an invaluable and trusted resource. I have found the reviews and information to be pretty accurate. I currently have 4 A2 lenses, and there might be a few others that I'd like, but am willing to wait for the right price.

The A2 line of lenses was officially discontinued last year, or possibly the year before. I believe the reasons are that they won't meter automatically on many of the (non Pentax) DSLR bodies, and are obviously manual focus only. Since the Pentax DSLRs have the backwards compatibility to use the full potential of these lenses, the PK/A mount for these lenses has come to be a valuable commodity, as are the best of the lenses in the line. Since you can also meter with fully manual lenses with a Pentax DSLR, you can also take advantage of the excellent optics of the better A2 lenses by getting a PK adapter (without the electrical contacts), which are still pretty widely available for @ $25 USD.

The F1.7x AFA, in addition to being an excellent TC optically, adds Auto Focus capability to these lenses, so is a very good match with the best of the Tamron A2 lenses, if the 1.7x mag is appropriate for the lens. I use it regularly with my A2 lenses, as they are all fast teles, except for the SP 500 f8 Mirror which is unfortunately too slow, but is an interesting lens nontheless.

The AFA works very well with my SP 180/2.5 (to get a 306/4.3), SP 80-200/2.8 (to get a 136-340 f4.8 ), and SP300/2.8 (to get a 510 f4.8 -- and when stacked on the A2 140F 1.4x TC, a 714 f6.7). All these lens combos AF well under reasonable lighting conditions, and are, comparatively compact, light and very sharp for lenses with these specs, not to mention very inexpensive (if you find the right deal. . . :-)).

Realize there might be some issues with the PK/A A2 adapters. Some don't register correctly for the Auto aperture (won't show the aperture in the viewfinder), and I've found that some aren't adjusted to close the aperture blades fully, but both of these problems can usually be corrected pretty easily, even if you're mechanically challenged :-). If you manage to obtain one of these problem adapters, post here and someone will probably be able to help.

Scott
hallo! I have a problem with the ring adaptall 2 PKA and my pentax K20D, I can not see the aperture setting in the viewfinder.

But i can see it in lcd screen!

how can i solve the problem?

blunotte69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2009, 5:07 AM   #24

blunotte69 wrote:
Quote:
snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi TH and Jack,

Setting a Tamron Adaptall2 with a PK/A adapter to the minimum aperture value is indeed the same as the "A" setting, allowing Auto Aperture and exposure with Pentax DSLRs.

Most of what I know about Adaptall 2 lenses was found here:

http://www.adaptall-2.com/

For me, it's an invaluable and trusted resource. I have found the reviews and information to be pretty accurate. I currently have 4 A2 lenses, and there might be a few others that I'd like, but am willing to wait for the right price.

The A2 line of lenses was officially discontinued last year, or possibly the year before. I believe the reasons are that they won't meter automatically on many of the (non Pentax) DSLR bodies, and are obviously manual focus only. Since the Pentax DSLRs have the backwards compatibility to use the full potential of these lenses, the PK/A mount for these lenses has come to be a valuable commodity, as are the best of the lenses in the line. Since you can also meter with fully manual lenses with a Pentax DSLR, you can also take advantage of the excellent optics of the better A2 lenses by getting a PK adapter (without the electrical contacts), which are still pretty widely available for @ $25 USD.

The F1.7x AFA, in addition to being an excellent TC optically, adds Auto Focus capability to these lenses, so is a very good match with the best of the Tamron A2 lenses, if the 1.7x mag is appropriate for the lens. I use it regularly with my A2 lenses, as they are all fast teles, except for the SP 500 f8 Mirror which is unfortunately too slow, but is an interesting lens nontheless.

The AFA works very well with my SP 180/2.5 (to get a 306/4.3), SP 80-200/2.8 (to get a 136-340 f4.8 ), and SP300/2.8 (to get a 510 f4.8 -- and when stacked on the A2 140F 1.4x TC, a 714 f6.7). All these lens combos AF well under reasonable lighting conditions, and are, comparatively compact, light and very sharp for lenses with these specs, not to mention very inexpensive (if you find the right deal. . . :-)).

Realize there might be some issues with the PK/A A2 adapters. Some don't register correctly for the Auto aperture (won't show the aperture in the viewfinder), and I've found that some aren't adjusted to close the aperture blades fully, but both of these problems can usually be corrected pretty easily, even if you're mechanically challenged :-). If you manage to obtain one of these problem adapters, post here and someone will probably be able to help.

Scott
hallo! I have a problem with the ring adaptall 2 PKA and my pentax K20D, I can not see the aperture setting in the viewfinder.

But i can see it in lcd screen!

how can i solve the problem?

Hi, that sounds more like a problem with the camera, I see indication of aperture in the viewfinder and the top screen. Only problem I know of with the AD2 PK/A adaptor

is poor earthing due to thread sealing compound smearing in the area indicated below, I cured mine by rubbing an HB pencil in the circumferential groove on the

adaptor base. ... Scott can probably tell more about this. Hope this helps ... Jack

Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2009, 6:51 AM   #25

My suggestion to the original question is a 300-500mm lens. A f/4 at least for wildlife photos. Small birds all the way to large dangerous animals require more than a 15 foot distance most times. I myself prefer the 500mm of the bigma almost always and quite often add a 1.4 teleconverter to that....even then it is not enough sometimes.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote