Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Feb 23, 2008, 4:05 AM   #1

Hi All,
Can you please suggest me a good telephoto lense for my new baby Pentax K100D Super? I have already the kit lense Sigma 18-55 mm. Is there any lense available that can be used on Pentax and Nikon regardless of the mount? or the mount can be adjusted with additional adapter? In future if all goes in plan, I will attempt to buy Nikon D300, sowhat lense I buy now would be an advantage if I can use that on my Nikon.

Thanks in advance..
Shalvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2008, 9:38 AM   #2

Shalvi wrote:
Quote:
Hi All,
Can you please suggest me a good telephoto lense for my new baby Pentax K100D Super? I have already the kit lense Sigma 18-55 mm. Is there any lense available that can be used on Pentax and Nikon regardless of the mount? or the mount can be adjusted with additional adapter? In future if all goes in plan, I will attempt to buy Nikon D300, so¬*what lense I buy now would be an advantage if I can use that on my Nikon.

Thanks in advance..

I believe some people are happey with the Sigma 70-300mm APO. For high end lens, the new DA*300mmF4 should be very decent indeed.

I think for cross platform lens, only Tamron adaptall and M42 (screw mount) lenses qualify. But you will have to sacrfice all auto function (like focus and metering) as the lenses usually cannot communicate with the camera in question about it setting. It sounds simple and no-brainer. But very tricky to implement

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2008, 1:00 PM   #3

Thanks Daniel. I guess I am more leaning towards to Sigma 70-300 APO DG, as I have read some good reviews as well. On the contrary I have also heard, if I use Pentax lense on aPentax camera , it givess better detail than the third party lense, how true is that?

Any more suggestion?
Old Feb 23, 2008, 9:13 PM   #4

Shalvi wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Daniel. I guess I am more leaning towards to Sigma 70-300 APO DG, as I have read some good reviews as well. On the contrary I have also heard, if I use Pentax lense on aPentax camera , it givess better detail than the third party lense, how true is that?

Any more suggestion?
I at the present use a Vivitar TX-screwmount 300mm f/5.6 with a 1.4 teleconverter. a Sigma 100-300mm DL lens and a Sigma 50-500mm F/4-6.3 APO DG EX lens. For a set distance the 300mm Vivitar is fine as it is very sharp at the widest aperture. The 100-300 DL is a good walk around lens you can carry all day long and it delivers very good photos. The 50-500mm Bigma is great if you are not planning an all day outing carrying it around your neck but delivers very well. The Vivitar is Manual focus but is well dampened and fine focuses well. The DL is very fast on the auto focus but like most Auto focus lenses poops out after f/8 unless you are in very bright sunlight. The Bigma is about the same. Which one do I like best? The Bigma for the range it has...A prime lens may out do it for image quality but a prime lens cannot do a good job from 50mm to 500mm...The Bigma can, and is pretty darn good at all focal lengths. Takes work getting the long end of it to shoot good but that can be said for most long lenses prime or zoom. The AS allows for a lot more hand held shots at long lengths but over 200mm a tripod is still king of the sharp shots!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2008, 9:23 PM   #5

I don't think the amount of detail you get with a lens depends on which manufacturer made it - all of them have made good lenses and lousy lenses over the years, including Pentax. You really need to look at the individual lens.

The Sigma 70-300 APO has a good reputation and should be considered. I would expect that the DA*300 would be sharper mainly because it is a prime, and it's easier to make a lens at one focal length than it is to make a zoom. Pentax has made some outstanding 300mm lenses over the years - I have the A*300 and love it, one of my favorite lenses (and one of my sharpest). If they use the FA*300 as the basis of their design, it should be an outstanding lens. Another option is to keep an eye on the resale market for either the F* or FA*300, both outstanding lenses (or do like what I did - I bought the manual focus A*300).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2008, 9:45 PM   #6

I'm waiting for May, 2008 for the new Pentax 55-300 mm. I want to see some reviews first, though.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2008, 11:17 PM   #7

Thank u all for ur inputs. Actually this Zoom lense is gonna be my first zoom for DSLR, have never played with this before, so I guess it would b safe to have AF lense with variable range. range 70-300mm would b ok.

In the variation of different manufacturers with different models, which brand would you suggest? Pentax , Tamron or Sigma? I have read good things about sigma 70-300 APO DG..this is one my list, but any other thoughts?

Thanks.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 10:29 AM   #8

Shalvi wrote:
Quote:
In the variation of different manufacturers with different models, which brand would you suggest? Pentax , Tamron or Sigma? I have read good things about sigma 70-300 APO DG..this is one my list, but any other thoughts?

Thanks.
http://www.tamron.co.jp/en/news/release_2008/0128.html

The Tamron 70-200mmF2.8 is another option besides the newer Sigma 70-200mmF2.8 with in lens motor.

This lens is more expensive as you would need another longer reach lens like the new DA*300mmF4 or another lens of 400mm range.

The 70-200mmF2.8 is an important range of FL for any make. It is almost a must lens for all prof or semi-pro.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2008, 6:32 PM   #9

If you find a macro feature useful, you may want to consider the Tamron 70-300 Macro, which goes down to 1:2 (most others like the Tamron 28-300 - and maybe the Sigmas - go to no more than 1:3). Although inexpensive, I and otherusers on theseforums have been quite pleased with it in its various iterations.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2008, 7:15 AM   #10

Shalvi wrote:
Quote:
I have read good things about sigma 70-300 APO DG..this is one my list, but any other thoughts?

Thanks.
Shalvi,

It really depends on what level quality you are after. The Sigma 70-300 APO is a sub $200 lens and it's a nice lens for sub-$200. But like most budget lenses, it's soft from 200-300. It's also non-HSM so a bit slow to focus. To give you a reference point, the Sigma 100-300 f4 (not currently available for pentax) is $1000 - 5x the cost.

Also - judging by your post title I'm going to assume you plan on shooting wildlife. You'll find 300mm is awfully short for wildlife. With a quality lens you can use a teleconverter to get more reach. But you cant really do that with a budget lens (as th optical quality isn't good enough to support it).

Everything is a trade-off though. Better lenses are more expensive and often heavier. A lens like the Sigma or Tamron 70-300 is light but not very good optically from 200-300mm.

So, how important is weight to you? What is your budget?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote