Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Feb 24, 2008, 8:33 AM   #1

I need help from you, please.

I have collected from Ebay auctions a number of lenses while building up my group of favored lenses. Many times the lens I wanted came with one or two I have no use for. I have cleaned the exterior glass, made repairs and conversions to make them operative on Pentax cameras, and have tested them on my K10D.

Now I want to stat listing the surplus items on Ebay, one at a time.

My first offering is item No. 140208884079. I tried to set the ad up to assure the potential bidder that a quality lens is being offered. I am on this item, and will on future items, showing enough pictures of the item to show exactly what it is. I am also showing a photo taken by the actual lens, an enlargement of a portion of that photo, and a photo of a white background to illuminate any dust particles in the lens which might show up in photos made with the lens.

This item's bidding closes this evening, but you can still pull it up after the closing time and date

I am hopeful some of you experienced photographers will critique my ad composition, and will point out changes I might make to help it instill confidence and a willingness to pay the price I have set.

Once I evolve a basic ad I intend to stay with it, just filling in the differences in the items offered. If I can make a little money from this activity I may keep doing it. However, the fact that each sale I make must cover two sets of packing, handling, insurance, and postage means that it will be very difficult to make any gain.

It is disappointing to me to note that about twenty percent of the lenses I got were accurately described, but not fully described, and turned out to be unusable for one reason or another, mostly chipped glass, oily blades, or disconnected aperture mechanisms. Some I have repaired. Others I will toss or save for scavenging.

Old Engineer
Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2008, 9:33 AM   #2

if you are having that bad of luck then i think you are buying from some of thesr mass sellers thay know mothing of what they sell. i would suggest contacting them and voice your disappointment pointing out their misinformation and tell the if they want the lens back then they can refund all your expenses including shipping. i've got 3 lenses here that i got a refund on and got to keep the lens. i'll use them for parts when i need some.. i'd also suggest not using these brokerage sellers and asking the sellers a few questions before buying..

anyway, did you get the HI_TECH lens removal tool i sent.. HEHE:-)

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2008, 10:18 AM   #3

I haven't sold anything on e-bay, but I have been quite successful on a Swedish site owned by e-bay. My items have sold at higher prices than the competition.

The key word is confidence. The ad should give the bidders the feeling that you are a serious, knowledgeable seller, as well as a pleasant person.

The pictures should present the item in an attractive way, but at the same time show the bidder that there is nothing to hide. In your ad I'd increase contrast on the pictures of the very lens, and skip the sharpness examples. Due to the compression they don't do the lens justice anyway. One picture through the lens wide open with a white background shows that you're not hiding fungus or big dents.

I'd also personalize the text. Skip "seller" and say "I". Skip "bidder/buyer" and say "you". Also adopt the text to the individual lens, skipping the parts with "See photo of mounting end. If threaded, a common adapter is needed to mount" This lens isn't, so there's no need to mention it. You can have a basic "standard text" and an easily recognizable layout that signals to the bidders that "this is yet another item from that serious seller with interesting items". But always adopt that basic text to the individual item.

Spend less space telling your buyer what will happen if he/she isn't satisfied. If you do, the potential bidder must ask herself "do this guy recieve lot's of complaints or what?" Just show your intention to make up for anything wrong. Don't state that you'll take back your sold goods for any reason, there are a lot of trigger-happy bidders that get second thoughts and regret their buy even if nothing is wrong with the item. I sold a lens that proved to be wrecked, payed back all expenses of the buyer and he gave me positive feedback for being afair seller.

Let me suggest this: "I make an effort to describe all items correctly. I check all items before shipping. If, nevertheless, an item shold defy from description or have errors not described in the ad, I'll make a refund." All is about building confidence in you as a seller.

Well, quite extensive, but this is my experience and as I said it has provided me with a little extra to buy more lenses!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2008, 10:21 AM   #4
TDN

Some suggestions:

----
You might want to change your title.

If it's something like this it'll get more ebay search hits:

"Fast 50mm f2.0 lens for Pentax K PK 50 / 2 TESTED"

Reason:
"50 mm" and "50mm" give you different hits on the ebay search box. So do "f2.0" and "2.0"

For some reason the keyword "fast" made all my previous sales go a little higher.

Mentioning the mount in the title is important. Again, "K" and "PK" give different hits.

---

Lose the "No likee no keepee". Looks unprofessional and it'll cost you money. Ebay is full of scammers.
Just put "if the item is not as described, I will provide a full refund, minus shipping".
it's never cost me a sale to say that, simply because I know I describe all my items accurately. (and so do you, so you have nothing to worry about)

---

The description seems accurate, but I wouldn't put everything in bold. Makes it very difficult to filter out the important info, and you're "forcing" your potential buyers to read the whole thing. Most ebay buyers are lazy.
Only put things like "no scratches, fungus or dust" and "usable on newest Pentax DSLRs" in bold. Youknow, things that will convince them to buy the lens.

---

Your starting bid seems about right, I think this one can probably get you 15 to 25$

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2008, 12:18 PM   #5

Hi,
your add doesn't look too bad, and I'd chime in to what TDN said, plus some other tips below. Especially since you cleaned and repaired the lens it is very important, that you present yourself as an expert in doing so!

Italic = delete
Bold = add/replace

50mm f/2.0LENS FOR PENTAX (including dSLR)

LENS CHARACTERISTICS
: Sharp photo results; Clean, clear glass.; Minimal, if any, internal dust; Smooth focusing; Snappy diaphragm; End caps included; Clear, readable markings. The photos prove the very high quality of this lens. I included photos taken with this lense mounted on my K10D to prove the high quality of the lense. Please use Ebay process prior to bidding to ask seller questions.

*** See photo of mounting end. If threaded, a common adapter is needed to mount.

RETURNS
: This is a extra fine lens. Seller has repaired and cleaned it, if needed, and has tested it. Even so, lens may be returned for any or no reason. However, buyer will pay for return shipping, handling, and full insurance (SHI). E-mail for instructions on returns, give your E-mail and mailing address, and I will try to make an agreement whereby you keep the lens. I will cooperate as I badly want a good feedback from buyer at the transaction's end to maintain my 100% rating.

SHIPPING & PAYMENT
: Seller provides handling and insurance in uniform $10.00 shipping price. Bid amount is refundable, but not cost of (SHI). SHI cost refunded only if wrong item is shipped. Payment only by PayPal, money order, or cashier‘s check. Five-day payment unless PayPal rules govern. Shipping will be quick after payment is credited. Returns of any kind must be shipped within five days after auction hour and date, and must include full insurance to be accepted by seller. If those directions are not followed explicitly, no refund will be issued, and I will not ship back to buyer. Shipping is to lower 48 states only unless buyer pays any extra shipping cost above $6 (shipping only, not SHI), and buyer must determine and pay correct extra and provide handling plus insurance, and this includes for returns as well. Seller will usually ship by U.S. Mail. Seller will not charge buyer sales or use taxes. Any exceptions to anything above must be allowed specifically by E-mail from seller. All payments are to be in US dollars.

PHOTOS INCLUDE
: Varying views of lens being sold; Full-frame of a printed page. Cropped enlargement of same to demonstrate sharpness of lens. Full-frame of white surface to show any objectionable internal lens debris.
Bold = add/replace

50mm f/2.0LENS FOR PENTAX (including dSLR, lens was tested on a K10D)

LENS CHARACTERISTICS
: Sharp photo results; Clean, clear glass.; Minimal, if any, internal dust; Smooth focusing; Snappy diaphragm; End caps included; Clear, readable markings. The photos prove the very high quality of this lens. I added photos taken with that lens mounted on my Pentax K10D to show the high quality of this lense. Use Ebay process prior to bidding to ask seller questions.

*** See photo of mounting end. If threaded, a common adapter is needed to mount.

In general replace Seller with "I" and buyer with "you" in next chapters.

RETURNS
: This is a extra fine lens. Seller has repaired and cleaned it, if needed, and has tested it. Even so, lens may be returned for any or no reason. However, buyer will pay for return shipping, handling, and full insurance (SHI). E-mail for instructions on returns, give your E-mail and mailing address, and I will try to make an agreement whereby you keep the lens. I will cooperate as I badly want a good feedback from buyer at the transaction's end to maintain my 100% rating. --> Note: Errm: you don't need this, really. Maybe you offer instructional help to make it easier for people to start using this lense on their camera or whatever, but please delete that sentence!

SHIPPING & PAYMENT
: Seller provides handling and insurance in uniform $10.00 shipping price. Bid amount is refundable, but not cost of (SHI). SHI cost refunded only if wrong item is shipped. Payment only by PayPal, money order, or cashier‘s check. Five-day payment unless PayPal rules govern. Shipping will be quick after payment is credited. Returns of any kind must be shipped within five days after auction hour and date, and must include full insurance to be accepted by seller. If those directions are not followed explicitly, no refund will be issued, and I will not ship back to buyer. Shipping is to lower 48 states only unless buyer pays any extra shipping cost above $6 (shipping only, not SHI), and buyer must determine and pay correct extra and provide handling plus insurance, and this includes for returns as well. Seller will usually ship by U.S. Mail. Seller will not charge buyer sales or use taxes. Any exceptions to anything above must be allowed specifically by E-mail from seller. All payments are to be in US dollars.

PHOTOS INCLUDE
: Varying views of lens being sold; Full-frame of a printed page. Cropped enlargement of same to demonstrate sharpness of lens. Full-frame of white surface to show any objectionable internal lens debris.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2008, 1:31 PM   #6

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
I haven't sold anything on e-bay, but I have been quite successful on a Swedish site owned by e-bay. My items have sold at higher prices than the competition.

The key word is confidence. The ad should give the bidders the feeling that you are a serious, knowledgeable seller, as well as a pleasant person.

The pictures should present the item in an attractive way, but at the same time show the bidder that there is nothing to hide. In your ad I'd increase contrast on the pictures of the very lens, and skip the sharpness examples. Due to the compression they don't do the lens justice anyway. One picture through the lens wide open with a white background shows that you're not hiding fungus or big dents.

I'd also personalize the text. Skip "seller" and say "I". Skip "bidder/buyer" and say "you". Also adopt the text to the individual lens, skipping the parts with "See photo of mounting end. If threaded, a common adapter is needed to mount" This lens isn't, so there's no need to mention it. You can have a basic "standard text" and an easily recognizable layout that signals to the bidders that "this is yet another item from that serious seller with interesting items". But always adopt that basic text to the individual item.

Spend less space telling your buyer what will happen if he/she isn't satisfied. If you do, the potential bidder must ask herself "do this guy recieve lot's of complaints or what?" Just show your intention to make up for anything wrong. Don't state that you'll take back your sold goods for any reason, there are a lot of trigger-happy bidders that get second thoughts and regret their buy even if nothing is wrong with the item. I sold a lens that proved to be wrecked, payed back all expenses of the buyer and he gave me positive feedback for being a*fair seller.

Let me suggest this: "I make an effort to describe all items correctly. I check all items before shipping. If, nevertheless, an item shold defy from description or have errors not described in the ad, I'll make a refund." All is about building confidence in you as a seller.

Well, quite extensive, but this is my experience and as I said it has provided me with a little extra to buy more lenses!

Kjell
Old Engineer,

I second what Kjell said. You have pretty good credential with 100% positive feedback.
The lens may not sell though given there are now 20:1 ratio of manual/AF lens for sale.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2008, 5:10 PM   #7

My humble thanks to all who answered my pleas, and also to those who might yet be answering. I believe all the suggestions are worthwhile. I have never done something like the Ebay sales, so I was starting absolutely ignorant. Revisions are in order, and any new ads will reflect your opinions.

Yes, Roy, I received the article you sent to me. I appreciate your consideration and generosity. Call on me if there is something you think I might be able to do to help you. I am not an expert at anything, but I have a lifetime of puttering and a lot of engineering experience. The older I become, the more I see experience is so very important. It beats the hell out of degrees and accolades. Every day I use some bit of experience from which I learned long ago a way to do something. Unfortunately, as in my case with Ebay ads, we never live long enough to learn it all.

Again, thanks to all.

Old Engineer
Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2008, 7:48 PM   #8

I second all that has been said...Integrity is fast becoming a lost value these days and I have found being honest on Ebay will give you many return customers. If it has a flaw state it has a flaw. I also include at least one good minor processed photo taken with the lens. Nothing but small amount of sharpening and some exposure compensation. If it is macro focusing or a macro lens I also include a photo taken in macro mode. Be honest in all you offer and it will pay off in the end. I go by the golden rule...If I wouldn't want it done to me, I won't do it to some one else!!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote