Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 1, 2008, 7:05 PM   #1

These are the first couple of shots of DA*200mmF2.8 as taken and uploaded by my daugher in DC. Just simple resizing with zero pp.

The last two were wide open. Can't wait to try out this lens myself.

Daniel
p.s. her comment is that the combination is heavy for her with K100Super given she is essentially a P&S person. The image is a lot sharper than from her regular lens , a Sigma 16-50mmF2.8 EX. macro. Well that is expected.
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2008, 9:45 PM   #2

Oh, wow! Those are really nice pictures, the lens looks very sharp. You aren't helping my LBA - this is a lens I thought I might like, but it's not really practical for me. I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures with it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2008, 9:50 PM   #3

Wow, really impressive for wide open. Thanks for sharing these, looking forward to seeing pics from you also.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2008, 2:45 AM   #4

Looks very promising. I'm impatiently waiting to see what you can do with that lens!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2008, 3:16 AM   #5

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
Looks very promising. I'm impatiently waiting to see what you can do with that lens!

Kjell
Kjell, Tim, Harriet,

Thanks for taking time to comment. Likely another long wait after the futile one for the Tamron 70-200mm. I will be in HK later this month and both I and my daughter have busy work schedule .
I will push my daughter to use this prime lens more by zooming with her feet in addition to her Sigma zoom 16-50mm F2.8. Hope she can benefit from using this heavy lens DA200mm

Daniel
Old Mar 2, 2008, 4:46 AM   #6

Hi Daniel,

These look really good. It looks to be very sharp, and the bokeh looks very soft with no harsh transitions.

I think that you're going to like it -- at under 2 lbs, it'll be a lot easier to handle than the Sigma 70-200/2.8 at 3 lbs.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2008, 6:59 AM   #7

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi Daniel,

These look really good. It looks to be very sharp, and the bokeh looks very soft with no harsh transitions.

I think that you're going to like it -- at under 2 lbs, it'll be a lot easier to handle than the Sigma 70-200/2.8 at 3 lbs.

Scott
I guess so.
The Pentax China site will be doing a major comparison of the 3 *200mms including the A*200mm you have. What lens config it has? Now it is proven that the FA* & DA* are of the same. The comparison shootout will be interesting

Daniel
Old Mar 2, 2008, 1:50 PM   #8

i agree,, VERY nice wide open.... hmmmm,what do i do with my M and viv 200mm???
if she's smart, that lens will never get into your hands!!!:blah:

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2008, 3:54 PM   #9

Hi Daniel,

The A* 200 is not an internal focusing design and has 6 elements in 6 groups. It does have at least 1 ED element though.

The FA* and DA* are internal focusing with 8 elements in 9 groups (probably the extra elements/groups were necessary to make it IF).

I've never tried either of the AF models, but they are rated about the same as the A*, which is by quite a margin the sharpest lens that I have that covers that FL (and I've got a surprising number of lenses that cover 200mm).

The DA* also has 9 aperture blades which partially explains the nice bokeh we saw in the test shots. It should give you nice round OOF highlights.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2008, 4:45 PM   #10

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
The Pentax China site will be doing a major comparison of the 3 *200mms including the A*200mm you have.

I hope you'll provide us with a link and a brief summary for those of us who are still struggeling with our Chinese.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote