Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 8, 2008, 4:14 PM   #1

Picked this little beauty up in my local indie camera place I mentioned before that has acres of display cabinets full of dusty lenses. Didn't look the lens up so bought it based on the shots of my little boy in the store while testing it.

This is the old Power Zoom model, not the silver newer model. It's noisy as hades, but seems to focus better than both the kit K10D lens and my Sigma APO DG 70-300. Not checked for pincushion/barrel distorsion, but it's a nice sharp lens on my K10D.

Basically needed a walk around lens as I fly to Tokyo Monday morning so expect some proper test shots when I get back the following Wednesday.

My boy in the shop:
Attached Images

Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2008, 4:15 PM   #2

100% crop, not brilliant, but not bad considering it's an older lens and wide open at f5.6.
Attached Images

Old Mar 8, 2008, 5:47 PM   #3

hehe,
just because it's ''older'' means nothing.. i just got my walk around and it's not even AF...

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2008, 6:37 AM   #4

Yeah I know, but some of the "gimmick" lenses like the Power Zoom tend to seem a bit iffy when used on digital bodies.

I am hoping it's going to work out alright as I won't have access to a PC to review the photo's in Japan and will only be taking my 70-300 macro with me as well to save space/weight. 18-55 just doesn't meet my needs for the trip and 70mm is too long for when I want to take photo's of temples/etc.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 5:49 PM   #5

I've got the IF version of that lense. It's lightweight and gives sharp pictures if there is enough light. I wasn't very happy about the shot I took in low light... but then I compared the results against my Pentax-A 50/1.7 which might be a bit unfair.

AF speed and accuracy is ok, I'd wish for a tad more contrast, but for a walkaround lense you can't go wrong with that.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote