Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 8, 2008, 6:08 PM   #1

Not sure which way to go here... I'm looking for a fast longer zoom for portraits (weddings etc), all these are 2.8 with ultra sonic motors (or whatever you want to call them). Pentax has the least range in the bunch so that one might be booted from my list here.

Does anyone know when these offerings from Sigma will arrive? There is already a Tamron 70-200 2.8 out there (but it's not with a focus motor I think) on Amazon... Daniel, you just ordered one of these, although it hasn't been released yet. I wonder if Sigma will be releasing there's with Tamrons. It's also posted on Amazon but won't let you order yet.
fisheye4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2008, 6:42 PM   #2

fisheye4 wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone know when these offerings from Sigma will arrive? There is already a Tamron 70-200 2.8 out there (but it's not with a focus motor I think) on Amazon... Daniel, you just ordered one of these, although it hasn't been released yet.* I wonder if Sigma will be releasing there's with Tamrons.*
70-200mm F2.8 in both Canon/Nikon mount are very popular setup for wedding photographers. World-wide
I myself and Paul have ordered the Tamron SP version of it from Amazon. While waiting, I got a DA*200mm instead to complement my FA135mm. I should be back from the Hong Kong trip in early April and I will figure it out if I still need this tempting zoom . It is at a very reasonable cost of $700.
I have good impression of Sigma 70-200mm but it is likely even further delayed because of the tech issue arising from the SDM - first one for an oem manufacturer

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2008, 8:23 PM   #3

I take it the Tamron doesn't have SDM right?
Old Mar 8, 2008, 9:16 PM   #4

The Tamron does not have SDM. As Daniel mentions, I'm not very patiently waiting -n the Tamron from Amazon. I've seen nothing from Sigma to indicate when its Pentax mount will be released.

I also have the DA*50-135. Without question it's far and away my favorite lens. It's incredibly sharp and amazingly versatile. I've used it for portraits, for indoor sports, for flowers, etc.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2008, 11:25 PM   #5

I know the pentax is a great lens, I've heard nothing but good things about it. It's just the extra reach that the tamron or sigma give that I might be interested in.... I just can't tell yet.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 7:42 AM   #6

fisheye4 wrote:
Quote:
I know the pentax is a great lens, I've heard nothing but good things about it.* It's just the extra reach that the tamron or sigma give that I might be interested in.... I just can't tell yet.
The Pentax DA*50-135mm is a great lens. It is also 1/3 less heavy/bulky than the Sigma & Tamron I believe. The extra reach does not come free. But all Nikon/Canon 70-200mm are just as formidable in wt/size anyway. Is it to be a norm?

The earlier Sigma 70-200mm APO is stellar (re Pentax and Canon/Nikon) mount). There is no reason to believe they (Sigma EX/Tamron SP high end models respectively) are dog lenses. The PITA is the wait.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2008, 4:12 PM   #7

does the pentax 50-135 have any QC problems like the 16-50 does?
Old Mar 9, 2008, 8:36 PM   #8

fisheye4 wrote:
Quote:
does the pentax 50-135 have any QC problems like the 16-50 does?
I certainly haven't seen any....except for the lens cap falling apart the second day, lol.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote