Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 15, 2008, 8:52 AM   #1

I really like my 50mm 1.4, but want something longer with similar capabilities. For the most part, this seems to point to the 77 limited, but ouch, what a price tag. Of course, anything longer is even worse, cost/availability-wise (85 1.4). I may wait for another season of rebates on the limiteds before I get serious.

So....can anyone comment on the cost vs. user experience of the 77 limited? Thanks!
pwithem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2008, 1:10 PM   #2

Can't comment on the 77 Lim, but my experience is that cost is soon forgotten, while lens quality keep reminding of it's presence.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2008, 3:47 PM   #3

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
Can't comment on the 77 Lim, but my experience is that cost is soon forgotten, while lens quality keep reminding of it's presence.
Hi pwithem,

I don't own one either. My needs are pretty much met at this FL by my Tamron 28-75/2.8 XR Di. . . and the DA*50-135, and the zoom range of either is important to the purpose I put these lenses to. A prime would be better, IQ-wise, but much less practical in my use. The zooms work for me, and while I'd love one (who wouldn't?), I don't use the FL enough to justify the cost of a premium prime.

I'll go along with Kjell here. The 77Ltd has a stellar reputation (and among Pentax glass, that really means something), but there's a lot to recommend the DA70/2.4. You can read test of both at Photozone

http://www.photozone.de/pentax

I've read that at least a few very credible street shooters have chosen the DA70 Ltd, even after having and liking the FA77 Ltd. I understand part of their decision was the size and cost, but these are generally guys who place a premium on IQ.

I don't think that you could go wrong with either. As Kjell said, the cost is soon forgotten when you get a truly great lens -- the payback is the potential for great images, and that just keeps on producing.

The one drawback is that once exposed to a truly great lens -- the bar of expectations from your glass gets raised -- and LBA starts to really get expensive. . .:O

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2008, 4:14 PM   #4

I had looked at the DA 70, but I think i'd want the extra stops on the 77. Also, a part of me would like to stick to full frame glass for that future day when pentax makes a full frame body.
Quote:
The one drawback is that once exposed to a truly great lens -- the bar of expectations from your glass gets raised -- and LBA starts to really get expensive. .
This is part of my problem with the 50 1.4. I was taking pictures of a dinner/speaker event for a grad student club with my DS and K10. Lighting was very dim and I had my 50mm 1.4 and a 28-105 3.2-5.6. I only had internal flashes, so I knew I had get to in people's faces if I want to expose a shot. the 28-105 was almost useless at f3.2 unless i was really right in people's faces. My wonderful 50mm did a respectable job with the internal flash and could even get a few decent shots without flashing.

So, from this I could simply get a flash - which is not a bad idea in general - or I could delay that and put that money plus a bit extra in another beautiful lens, which is more representative of the shooting I like to do (i.e., non-flash photography).

I think my mind's made up, but I'll wait a bit to see if any rebates show up.

Pat
Old Mar 16, 2008, 10:06 AM   #5

I don't have the 77 limited, but I got a chance to shoot with one before Christmas (the Pentax rep was at my local camera store and had one he let me use). It's a lovely lens, has nice color, incredibly sharp and all that speed. I compared it to my DA*50-135 and was surprised at how well my zoom lens did compared to it. It convinced me that for what I do, the DA*50-135 would be the better solution, and I couldn't notice what little I was giving up in quality by going with the zoom. That doesn't change the fact that I'd really like to ownthis lens, just because its a work of art, easy to use, lighter than the zoomand there's something intangeable about itthat makes my mouth water. I can't logically explain it at all. I doubt I'd get it any time soon - too many other things I want to buy that I feel a need for, rather than a desire.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2008, 10:26 AM   #6

thanks, that's good to know. The other lens I've been thinking about is the DA*16-50, which I thought I could treat as a "prime" wide lens - which would be a bonus, as I'd mainly want it for the weather sealing. Unfortunately, that lens isn't cheap either. Now if I could just coin a new lens-related affliction I'll be well on my way to scoring some free lenses...
Old Mar 16, 2008, 11:52 AM   #7

I have not used the 77mm; I have only lusted after it. For shooting indoor action, the extra light is sometimes a necessity. I love to shoot basketball with my DA*50-135, but most of the high school gyms in which I shoot don't have enough light for me to shoot with it. Thus, I have to drop to the FA 50mm f1.4. It's a great lens, but the reach just isn't what I need.

The 77mm is currently about #3 on my wish list behind the K20 and the Bigma. (I already have the Tamon 70-200 f2.8 on order.)
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2008, 12:17 PM   #8

I have the 40 2.8 Limited & and the DA 21 3.2 Limited. These are the two best lenses I have ever used-bar none. The limited series is an engineering marvel. I also havea DA 16-45 (never use it-way too soft) and the DA 50-200. I consider these an investment-build quality exceeds all expectations. Over the past 25 years I have owned about 25 different lenses for Pentax (Terminal LBA) including Sigma, Tokina ATX, & Tamron. They all moved to second place once I bought the Limited Series.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2008, 4:54 PM   #9

i have the fa 77 limited and it is a wonderful lens. personally i don't think there is another lens in pentax's lineup that compares to it. as for the cost, mine was $689 (i had to look that up) which at the time was the most i had ever spent on a single lens. was it worth it... i'd say so. once i started using the lens i quickly forgot how much it cost and even forgot to send in the rebate, doh!!

ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2008, 5:01 PM   #10

I've been tempted for the DA 40 because of it's size and the good things I've heard, but since I've already got a 50 1.4, I tell myself I'm better off getting something I don't currently have (i.e. 77 limited). Also, the 77 limited has what I really want: similar aperture range as the 50 1.4 but with extra reach.