Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 16, 2008, 10:27 PM   #1

Cannot afford either 77mm or 85mm. Cannot even find a m42 85mm So I have to use a FA100mm macro for protrait then. See what u think. I did that a while ago with DL & iso 1600 and wide open at F2.8

Daniel
Attached Images

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2008, 3:19 PM   #2

Hm, tbh it doesn't work for me, at least not in it's current state. This bothers me, because I think this is a very natural pose for that person... so what's the point? Softness, the feeling it didn't came out as wanted, not enough DOF, a slight "haze" effect... all the while the face itself has it's possibilities (to say so). I'd try that again with this lense, with different light and another angle, just toy around.

What I'd wish for is to emphasize the strong characteristics of that face, skin structure, hair, the glasses. To my mind this face calls for some stronger contrasts, maybe even overdo it a bit on purpose, like this one:

That way the very shallow DOF *might* work, although I am not sure. At least for me that person's portrait looks way more interesting. I still think you should try to extend DOF a bit ...

My 2 cents,
Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2008, 5:21 PM   #3

thkn777 wrote:
Quote:
I still think you should try to extend DOF a bit

Th.
Th,
I do not get that as to the extension of DoF. I need more to be in focus?
My idea is to use an almost mid tele macro for portrait purpose. Normally for macro it is generally sharp after F5.6 as majority of macro starts from F8 all the way down to F16 anyway. A lot of macro lenses are simply mushy wide open. Not this one though. I have been using 135mm for portrait- they are ok. But I have not tried 100mm macro. It is fun pushing the lens to its limit

Daniel
Old Mar 18, 2008, 1:48 PM   #4

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
thkn777 wrote:
Quote:
I still think you should try to extend DOF a bit

Th.
Th,
I do not get that as to the extension of DoF. I need more to be in focus?
My idea is to use an almost mid tele macro for portrait purpose. Normally for macro it is generally sharp after F5.6 as majority of macro starts from F8 all the way down to F16 anyway. A lot of macro lenses are simply mushy wide open. Not this one though. I have been using 135mm for portrait- they are ok. But I have not tried 100mm macro. It is fun pushing the lens to its limit

Daniel
Hm, sometimes I confuse people with what I say, although I wasn't originally aiming at that effect. Sorry. :roll:

To my mind the DOF range is big enough to include the whole face, not only the right side as in this picture. Thus I'd try to shoot with the same setting but try to extend that DOF range more towards the left side of the mans face (away from you). The left part of the glasses is already out of focus. A good focus point ("middle of DOF area") would be the middle of his face (aim right between his eyes, where nose meets forehead, maybe use MF). In this picture I'd say the middle of the DOF area sits at the right ear level, maybe even at the rightmost (mans point og view) edge of the glasses. I think you waste the part of the DOF area that lies TOWARDS you. Try to shift these additional 6-8cm (rough guess) backwards (away from you) in a way that DOF area BEGINS at that right ear.

Even 2-3 cm should make a huge difference since it allows to give the left part of the glasses (man's POV again) a clearer/sharper appearance.

The mushy feeling doesn't bother me since my little postprocessing shows that there is really enough detail in the mens face - no worries here. Many people complain about lens being "soft" wide open... to my mind softness isn't bad, just the missing details are bad. So as long as a lens gives me the details after some postprocessing I am happy

Speaking of pushing a lense to it's limits - I use my Pentax-A 50/1.7 very often at f=2 or f=2.2 and often enough at f=1.7 :-)- I know how it feels.

It's a nice approach, I like the idea to experiment or - on the other hand not to complain about what you don't have, but make the best out of the things you own.

Go on and good luck!

As for sharpening / refocussing of "wide-open" photos I have some experience under my belt, all I can say is: don't be sad upon the first look when you develop the photo... a lot is possible with modern computers!

Regards,
Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2008, 4:25 PM   #5

I think the photo suffers from inadequate DOF. There is nothing wrong with soft focus in a portrait (some buy special lenses for that effect) so long as it is uniform. Where thisphoto has a problem is that the eyes are out of focus while the ear is sharp. It would have been better with the closer eye in sharp focus, because the viewer's eye is drawn to the subject's eyes first. Good quality macro lenses can function quite well for general photography, but remember also that a dedicated macro lens is corrected for a flat field, so the results with it might not always be what one would expect from a lens not so corrected (especially with the shallow DOF of a wide aperture, although it may not be a factor in this particular exposure).
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2008, 1:01 AM   #6

Quote:
thkn777 wrote:
To my mind the DOF range is big enough to include the whole face, not only the right side as in this picture. Thus I'd try to shoot with the same setting but try to extend that DOF range more towards the left side of the mans face (away from you).
Th.
I will try to get bigger DoF of the subject in similar situation. I do recall that it is thin for a 100mm at F2.8 though. It is almost like 50mm at F1.4 - there may not be such proportion at all. But it was thin.

penolta wrote:
Quote:
Where this¬*photo has a problem is that the eyes are out of focus while the ear is sharp.¬* It would have been better with the closer eye in sharp focus, because the viewer's eye is drawn to the subject's eyes first.¬* Good quality macro lenses can function quite well for general photography, but remember also that a dedicated macro lens is corrected for a flat field, so the results with it might not always be what one would expect from a lens not so corrected (especially with the shallow DOF of a wide aperture, although it may not be a factor in this particular exposure).
That gives me some idea to play around with it as I can widen the FoV somewhat like de-defishing the image (bringing in more curvature of it). That is easy - just one click

Daniel
Old Mar 19, 2008, 10:15 PM   #7

Hello,

I still confused about terminology of portrait lens. Most of us agreed the most important features of quality of background blur& focal length are the main key features.

Back to film days all portrait lens are about soften the images without losing its detail clarity. I found this capture when I use old Pentax M135 f3.5 and the image look pleasant to my eyes. Pentax have FA 28 f2.8 & FA85 f2.8 which have this feature to create soft focus look although I'm not sure whether this feature is still needed on digital age.

On my travel kit, Pentax DA 18-250 will be used as all-round lens which attached most the time, only swab to other primes as the situation is needed.

Regards,
RTogog

Attached Images

rtogog is offline   Reply With Quote