Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 24, 2008, 3:32 PM   #1

I'm a new member here having just acquired a K100D S with the 18-55 kit lens. I also have a fair selection of old M42 screwmount lenses so I'm all set when I wanna play artsy-fartsy fine art photographer. But I'm thinking it would be nice to have an autofocus prime lens, both for family shots and for around the town kinda shooting. So, I'm debating between the FA 35/2.0 lens and the DA 40/2.8 lens. Other lenses are tempting but the price of these two is closer to what I'm willing to spend. So, other than the obvious difference in focal length (and I am aware of the 1.5 multiplier effect), which lens should I go for?

From what I've read, the 35 is faster, may be a hair bit sharper, is physically larger, but requires turning off autofocus if one wants to manual focus. Oh, and it allows manually adjusting aperture directly on the lens (and can be used on a film camera, which I don't really care about).

Conversely, the 40 is one stop slower, is wonderfully small (which I rate very highly), and with the quick shift focus system can be manually focused without additional steps (potentially important to me as I'm coming from a film rangefinder all manual background). Oh, and being a "limited" lens, the 40 is all metal construction.

I've read the reveiws and comments that I could find on this forum and elsewhere. But I'm still a bit up in the air about this decision. So, I thought I would ask here in the hopes that those who have actually used one, the other or both can share their thoughts and views. Thanks in advance for your help.

-Randy
vrgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2008, 3:50 PM   #2

Hi Randy!

I cannot compare the two lenses, but I can assure that the FA35 mm is a fantastic lens and very priceworthy. And I am pretty picky about lenses. As for AF/MF I'd say it's no issue, to change modes with the button on the camera bodytakes 0.1 sec after you've done it twice. I'm not sure wether the DA40 mm has the Quick Shift feature. I have the DA16-45, and I never use the quick shift.

My *istDS is my first autofocus camera, so most of my lenses are manual and I like it that way. But getting used to AF was easier than I thought.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2008, 4:23 PM   #3

Thanks Kjell, for your thoughts. Yeah, I didn't think that turning off AF would be a big problem. But unlike yourself, at least so far in my fairly limited use, I find that with my kit lens I am occasionally adjusting focus manually even after autofocus has locked on. Maybe that's just an old habit from my manual film camera usage, but I wouldn't want to have to think about turning off AF and then, after taking the shot, having to turn it back on. Seems there's enough to think about with all the automation built into these cameras (man, they're basically little computers rather than cameras!). So, it seems that's at least one argument in favor of the DA 40 which does have the quick shift feature.

Anybody else have any thoughts or comments?

-Randy
Old Mar 24, 2008, 4:54 PM   #4

Have the DA 40 2.8 Limited along with the DA 21 3.2 Limited. IMHO the Limited series are the best lenses Pentax has ever produced and I have been using all kinds of them since 1978. The 40 is the best lens in my bag-right now along with the two I mentioned I have the DA 16-45, DA 50-200, and the kit lens. Use them on a DS & K10D

This one is using DS with the 40 2.8 Natural light-hand held-no pp just cropping.
Attached Images

DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2008, 4:58 PM   #5

Very nice shot, DMJJR, thanks for posting it. And thanks for your endorsement of the 40. I think my leanings are towards the 40 if for no other reason than that I'm so used to a small, albeit heavy, rangefinder camera and find these dSLR cameras with long lenses to be such beasts by comparison. So, the pancake 40 just plain intrigues me. As a result, that's probably what I'll get unless others can convince me that I'd be making some sort of mistake. Can't imagine that, however, particularly after seeing your great shot.

Thanks,
Randy
Old Mar 24, 2008, 5:06 PM   #6

Thanks for the kind words-I don't like to use flash on the little ones so I use the natural light-with the range of ISO's I have never had a problem using the 40. I'm sure the 35 is also a very good lens-the 40 is a joy to use. Good luck with your decision.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 11:44 AM   #7

Okay, I went ahead and ordered the DA 40/2.8 and will post again when I've received and taken some shots with it. The speed of the 35 was tempting but that pancake form factor of the 40 just kept calling out to me.

Thanks,
Randy
Old Mar 25, 2008, 9:27 PM   #8

You can't make a wrong decision-both should be great-see another one with the DS & DA 40
Attached Images

Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:03 PM   #9

Thanks, DMJJR. Now I REALLY can't wait to receive the DA 40. It shipped today so I should have it by end of the week. So, you can guess what I'll be doing this weekend!

-Randy
Old Apr 3, 2008, 9:46 AM   #10

Well the 35mm would be very nice. Why, because its faster, because mounted on APS-C sensor cameras is almost the equivalent of the "normal" 50mm lens on film and its 35mm focla lenght its good on film too, beeacuse its a full frame lens and it can be used on any Pentax camera (except the M42 screw mount ones) and one K pentax mount ones, like Chinon, Ricoh/Sears, Cosina, etc.
Another solution might be the Limited Pentax-FA 31mm f:1.8 (but its more expensive).
Just my opinion.

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/Pent...w--test-report
and

montecarlo is offline   Reply With Quote