Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Apr 5, 2008, 2:06 AM   #1

I was in San Diego and happened to be down at Coronado Beach. I have to appologize for forgetting as to just who pointed this out, but it occoured to me that this was a pretty good location to demonstrate the ability to control the fisheyed bending effect of the image, essentially by how you frame the picture. I am using the Pentax DA 10-17 FE lens. All the images are at 10mm. With the bright sun (sorry about that, but at about 6pm, the sun is setting to the west, over the ocean), so the shutter speed and f stops are varied, but that was not the point of the exercise.

With the beach as a level horizon, you can control the bending, by tilting the camera up, level or down. Here are 3 images of the same scene. In the first the camera is tilted up about 15 degrees. The second one is level, while the third is tilted down about 15 degrees.

You can see that when the camera is tilted up, you have the bending fisheyed effect rising. With the camera level, you have somewhat of a normal image with the horizon flat with a minimal fisheyed bend (but you still have some edge distoration). When pointed down, you get the curved earth effect (opposit from pointing up).

Tilted up at about 15 degrees

Attached Images

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2008, 2:06 AM   #2

Level with the horizon
Attached Images

Old Apr 5, 2008, 2:07 AM   #3

Tilted down at about 15 degrees (and when doing this, make sure that your feet and the stuff on the ground is out of the image)....
Attached Images

Old Apr 5, 2008, 4:42 AM   #4

interested_observer wrote:
Quote:
Tilted down at about 15 degrees (and when doing this, make sure that your feet and the stuff on the ground is out of the image)....
Good exercise of you WA. You are right that part of your camera bag can still be seen. My WA is a fisheye and curve is part of the package. Keep posting and thanks for sharing

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2008, 10:11 AM   #5

If that lens was any wider you could check your shoe laces!

thanks for the different shots

Simon
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2008, 2:54 PM   #6

Very interesting how you can control the fisheye effect. Great examples, by the way (and have you blown the dust off your sensor yet?).

While the DA12-24 (and I assume the Sigma lens) isn't a fisheye and doesn't have the bending, I've noticed that it doesn't take much to totally change the perspective/vertical line distortion by angling the camera. Makes for some really creative photography (or really annoying distortion).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote