Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Apr 8, 2008, 10:48 AM   #1

Gosh, I love this lens! This is easily my favorite lens and the one most likely to be on the camera when I leave the house. It serves as my walkaround lens, my aquarium shooting lens, and has done a very good job with portraits as well. It has the great combination of sharpness, contrast, and wonderful color.

It even has a "macro" setting at 70mm that allows you to get pretty close, but its definitely not a true macro (1:4?). Still, it comes in handy for close up shooting when you want to travel light. This lens is very compact (a little bigger than the A50/1.7), it's light, and very easy to use. Focus is smooth and quick as is the one-touch zoom.

I've read that the constant aperture (F4) version of this lens is better, but you are going to have to pry this thing from my cold, dead fingers! Yeah, it's MF, but that's something I can live with when I'm getting images like these. There are times when I wish it were a little wider or maybe a little longer, but I'd rather focus on the positives than on its shortcomings. There's a reason why I constantly rave about this thing.

A few varied examples:

maxwell1295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2008, 12:09 PM   #2

I can understand your feelings - if I ever will find "my" perfect walkaround lens I wouldn't give it away, too

At the moment my Pentax 28-105/4-5.6 fills this spot and while I like the sharpness it really is a lens which needs some light - so I found myself using my A 50/1.7 as a walkaround, but the fixed-focus prime is a real limitation in terms of "framing" a subject.

I am now trying to get my hands on a Vivitar 28-105/2.8-3.8 and will see how this one does. Already had a Viv 28-135/3.5-4.5 for one day and found it to be a very interesting lens... am not sure how a varifocal zoom really performs in everyday life but a useful zoom range, sharpness/detail, a small minimal aperture and a good macro capability is what I'd wish for...

Happy snapping with your walkaround lens!
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 1:01 PM   #3

i finally got my walk around also. it's the A35-105/3.5. it's bigger but it does offer a fairly large ap and a little more reach..

roy
a lot of these were shot with it and the A70-210/4
http://www.texasbostons.com/butter2/index.htm
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 1:26 PM   #4

robar wrote:
Quote:
i finally got my walk around also. it's the A35-105/3.5. it's bigger but it does offer a fairly large ap and a little more reach..

roy
a lot of these were shot with it and the A70-210/4
http://www.texasbostons.com/butter2/index.htm
Roy,
I've been looking for the A35-105/3.5 and will eventually snap one up when the price is right. I tried a A35-135/3.5-4.5, but even with the added reach it's not nearly as good as the A35-70/3.5-4.5.

The A70-210/4 is my other "go to" lens. I recently travelled to Germany with my entire kit (the 2 zooms, A50-1.7, Sigma 70-300, and 18-55 kit lens). I ended up using the 2 zoomlenses about 90% of the time and the A50/1.7 the other 10% of the time.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 8:34 PM   #5

Okay, I lied! Either that or someone pried that lens from my cold, dead fingers. I ended up swapping it out for the F verion of the same lens. They are optical twins, only the F is autofocus. It's just as good as the A series lens. In fact, with the AF, I'm less likely to miss shots due to bad focusing.