Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Apr 13, 2008, 2:43 PM   #1

Hey,
I recently bought a Vivitar 2x macro focussing teleconverter (P/K) to try a bit of macro works. I found a very promising review comparing the Viv TC + 50/1.4 lens combo against a "true" 100/2.8 macro lens and was thinking I could do the same with my A 50/1.7 lens.

The results are (to my mind) very good so I decided to upload some test images so you can judge yourself.

Also most of my macro shots were done by using that convertertogether with the A 50/1.7, Kiron 80-200/4 or K 135/2.5 - you can see the images here:

- http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=80
- http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...amp;forum_id=7

Now the good thing with the TC is, that you can focus to infinity too! So here are some shots at tele range (K135/2.5 x2 = 270mm)

#1 - same subject as in my Kiron 80-200 tests, so you can compare these, although lighting was different. I used f/4 here. I know, that things work differently with a TC, but this is what I set the aperture ring on my K135/2.5 --> f/4. First the full view, then the 1:1 detail crop. I only adjusted the histogram (cutting unused shadow values mainly)

#2 - And another subject, this time I set the aperture ring to "wide open" = f/2.5

What I found so far is, that besides the CA thingie (a K135/2.5 specific problem wide open and the effect gets a bit stronger with the TC) images are a tad soft, but very usable even at small apertures.

I'd really like to get my hands on a "A" version of that TC, but those seem to be quite rare.

Another find: When using the TC with my A 50/1.7 I can attach a +3 macro lense, too - and get still nice results.

Best regards,
Th.

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2008, 7:18 AM   #2

thkn,
The Viv 2X macro converter + a decent 50mm lens makes an excellent macro combination. ... There's good information here ...

http://www.jr-worldwi.de/photo/macro3_shootout.html

The shot below was with the Viv macro converter + the Pentax SMC-M 50mm/1.4 ... available light f11 1/320 sec handheld + focus trap. About 1:1.5 ... Jack.
Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2008, 7:53 AM   #3

If you put it behind a true macro lens you can do better than 1:1, and get acceptable results, not recommended handheld though as the shot below was. Viv macro converter behind the Tamron 90mm/2.5
Attached Images

Old Apr 14, 2008, 3:30 PM   #4

@jachol

yes, that was the "review" I was talking about - and it really works!
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2008, 8:10 PM   #5

panagor also has one but it won't work as a 2x TC as the viv does. it gives similar shots compared the viv...i've had both..
these things use to sell for 15usd all the time.. it's hard to get one under 50 now..
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 3:58 AM   #6

robar wrote:
Quote:
panagor also has one but it won't work as a 2x TC as the viv does. it gives similar shots compared the viv...i've had both..
these things use to sell for 15usd all the time.. it's hard to get one under 50 now..
Roy,
I have a Panagor M42 version that works a treat used manually, I picked it up for peanuts, in fact the seller said he had thought of binning it, as it was slow to sell.
Since then I've seen others go for much higher prices, I'll step in soon and sell mine ... it is surplus now. ... Jack
Old Apr 17, 2008, 3:36 AM   #7
TC3

I have a KAX 2x macro 7 element TC which has the A setting.....have used it with a Vivitar 135 2.8 as well as a A 50 1.7 and both do well. It does far better at the macro end then being used as a plain TC. I have never felt the need for a macro lens as i am not a big macro fan but considering i paid £20 ($40) for it in mint condition from FFordes in UK i got a good deal.

Tony

TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote