Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Apr 23, 2008, 3:28 PM   #1

Anyone psyched about their pancake kit?

I'm headed for Europe for a few weeks. My kit includes the Bigma, DA18-55, DA50-200, and FA50/1.4 . For the trip I'll probably bring the two kit zooms and the FA50 for indoor shots.

But I also considered lightening the load and getting the DA-21 limited, and DA-70 limited. Seems like a great setup for the trip but the DA* zooms are more likely to be in my plan for shooting around here, so I'm hesitating.
bruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2008, 5:41 PM   #2

i may have to change my mind but presently i have no use for any DA lens..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 8:08 PM   #3

bruder wrote:
Quote:

I'm headed for Europe for a few weeks. My kit includes the Bigma, DA18-55, DA50-200, and FA50/1.4 . For the trip I'll probably bring the two kit zooms and the FA50 for indoor shots.

But I also considered lightening the load and getting the DA-21 limited, and DA-70 limited. Seems like a great setup for the trip but the DA* zooms are more likely to be in my plan for shooting around here, so I'm hesitating.
I have the DA 21 and the DA 40 by far the best lenses in my bag. But I'm not into the big zooms-got tired of dragging those around years ago. I only want image quality and portablility-these knock you socks off. This is the DA 40-San Diego Skyline from Coronado Island
Attached Images

DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 10:48 PM   #4

Hi Roy. I can understand and I'd probably be in the same situation if I started a few years earlier. But my K10 came with the DA kit and 50-200, I"ve hesitated with DA commitment, but it seems like it may be inevitable.
THanks. John
Old Apr 23, 2008, 10:51 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply and lovely photo. THis is exactly what I'm looking for -- satisfied customers! ANything you don't like about them?
Old Apr 24, 2008, 12:16 AM   #6

IMHO the Limited Series are the best lenses Pentax makes. Not a thing I would change (except the price) I consider them an investment-they will be in demand for a long time.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2008, 6:50 PM   #7

DMJJR wrote:
Quote:
IMHO the Limited Series are the best lenses Pentax makes. Not a thing I would change (except the price) I consider them an investment-they will be in demand for a long time.
Since they are limited they will become scarce over time. I'm holding off right now getting any more digital optimized lenses as Pentax may soon offer a Full frame sensor and the the old lens will shine again...Also I hate a lens or camera to dictate how I can shoot. I almost never us auto aperture and really like manual focus over auto focus....Just an old Redneck's opinion.....Been looking at the new 300mm DA* and really I think a FA* or an M star would fulfill my needs just as well....Not to mention a super tak 300mm f/4.......Wish I could go f/2.8 but they doooo get expensive... I know I'm Rambling on.....For a normal lens a 31mm -35mm would do better IMO.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 12:34 AM   #8

pentax limited lenses are my favorites. i own the fa 43 and 77, and the da 40.

i love the pancake form factor, but i think the fa limiteds render better than their da counterparts. plus the fa limiteds have a wider aperture and are still relatively portable.

i am still not sold on the da* 16-50, but the 50-135 is a definite keeper.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 8:38 AM   #9

bruder wrote:
Quote:

I'm headed for Europe for a few weeks.¬* My kit includes the Bigma, DA18-55, DA50-200, and¬* FA50/1.4 .¬* For the trip I'll probably bring the two kit zooms and the FA50 for indoor shots.¬*

But I also considered lightening the load and getting the DA-21 limited, and DA-70 limited.¬* Seems like a great setup for the trip but the DA* zooms are more likely to be in my plan for shooting around here, so I'm hesitating.
I think you more or less have answered your own question. It is not as popular, despite its stellar quality, because:

1. it is a late comer
2. the market is crowded with capable lenses like the fast and inexpensive FA50mm
3. no aperture ring and it is tricky (very little there) to do manual focus if needed
4. 40mm is an usual FL whereas every major makes have great great 50mm
5. olders lens like Tak or M42 40mm or 50mm are just as great and likely even faster

Just my take

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 2:13 PM   #10

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Been looking at the new 300mm DA* and really I think a FA* or an M star would fulfill my needs just as well....Not to mention a super tak 300mm f/4.......Wish I could go f/2.8 but they doooo get expensive... I know I'm Rambling on.....For a normal lens a 31mm -35mm would do better IMO.
I know what you mean. Looking back I didn't pretty well with the 45 year old 300mm, especially considering that the Bigma is 10x the price! WIth more practice I think I could get better at manual focus.