Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old May 2, 2008, 5:35 PM   #11

Hi pdgirl! Welcome to the world of Pentax.

The shot from the cemetary looks pretty well exposed to me. This is with the kit lens, right?

You do realize that the higher the f number the smaller the aperture?

I know you're a real newbie and that's a good thing!You get to learn all the cool stuff these cameras will do! If you have time, there are a couple of really good books that will help you understand things much better.

The first is "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. It cuts to the chase and explains the basics of exposure in clear terms. It also gives you creative ideas for later!

The second is "The Digital Photography Book" by Scott Kelby. Kelby is one of the original Photoshop guys. This book is a collection of scenarios that he explains how to shoot in plain english. His humor is a bit lame but the info is rock solid and very easy to apply.

The forums are also an excellent place to learn. Of course, you have already figured that out!

Dennis
Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 6:50 PM   #12

all i can say is there is NOTHING wrong with that last shot. it would be nice if the exif info was available. also IIRC this is the first post i've seen where someone is gripeing about the kit lens. the 2 M lenses you list are also very good lenses.. i have both.. these will NOT work with the onboard flash without a lot of tailoring the EV. i've found the built in flash to be pretty much useless.. the older lenses are sometimes a lot better than currant and a lot less expensive.. i use about 11 lenses and only two of them are AF..

what software are you using??? it must be erasing the exif when you save..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 6:52 PM   #13

oops, forgot to say,, that wide angle add on lens should be used for a paper weight only..
Old May 3, 2008, 7:58 AM   #14

HI Roy,
If you let me in on what the exif is maybe I can find it. By the way guys, I thought I had my camera in auto pic for that last shot, but I lied. It was in manual exposure.
Last night I took the camera out to the show with my fancy new flash and darn there is a learning curve with that thing. Anyway, I gues I'm a bit used to shooting with my big lenses. I don't like the distance limitation of the 18-55 I could not get a shot of the scene. It just would not get a viewable exposure at all. I got some great shots as long as I was with 10ft of the subject (less is better). But any further that that crapola.
I think I understand the aperature pretty well small number = wide open shallow depth of field (blurry background), big number = smaller aperature and sharper background. Wide open, use faster shutter speed and big number, use slower shutter speed. The combination of the two determines how much light hits the ccd (or film). Right?
But, on the kitty shots above as you see the camera set the ap at f5.6 and had nearly the same shutter speed (1/60 vs 1/90) I used in manual with f32. That was an indoor daytime shot very and very close. f32 seems a bit extreme to me to get a good exposure. I mean that's a big, big difference from f5.6
pdgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008, 8:01 AM   #15

thanks for the tip Roy:-) on th wa lens. I use Photoshop cs2. I don't know what yoou guys are talking about on the exif or whatever. Let me in on it?
Xmas
Old May 3, 2008, 10:27 AM   #16

the exif info is written to a digital image when you take a shot. it tells when, what speed and aperture you used and quite a bit more info about the image.. lets use this as an example..
Attached Images

Old May 3, 2008, 10:28 AM   #17

here's what's embedded in the image..
Attached Images

Old May 3, 2008, 10:39 AM   #18

since i use a DS i don't have SR so the mm of the lens is missing.
go HERE and d/l the program. it will give you a rt. clik option to view the info..

using CS2, and using your original image don't use the ''save for web'' option.. this will usually strip the info from the file.. instead use ''save as'' . save your shot and when you close your image tell PS that you don't want to save the changes. that way you always have the original to work with.. never!! use the ''save'' option.. you'll loose your original..
Old May 3, 2008, 3:09 PM   #19

Okay, so here is the data from camera kitty the overexposed shot:
Lens name smc PENTAX-DA 18-55mmF3.5-5.6 AL Focal length 55mm
Shutter speed 1/60sec
Aperture F5.6
Capture mode Picture (Portrait)
Autofocus mode Single AF
Autofocus area mode Automatic
Color space sRGB
Image tone Bright
Sharpness 0
Contrast 0
Exposure compensation 2
Drive mode Single-frame shooting Flash mode Auto flash+Redeye reduct Extended Bracket -----
Multi-exposure Off
Shake Reduction Yes
Firmware/Software version K100D Super Ver 1.00 Saturation 0
White Balance Automatic
Color Temperature -----
Recorded pixels 1536x1024
Sensitivity 400
Bracket Off
Fine tune M-G -----
Metering mode Multi-segment metering Quality Best
Shooting Date/Time 4/26/2008 3:56
Camera model PENTAX K100D Super

The only differences between this data and the manual exposure data are:
manual exposure
f32
speed 1/90
everything else is the same
Hope this helps
Old May 3, 2008, 10:05 PM   #20

Welcome (belatedly) to the forum. Looking at the exif info you posted, it looks like your exposure compensation is maxed out at +2. This would overexpose the shot by two full stops, however, it would not affect you in M mode. I believe this is the cause of your problem.

If you turn your camera on, press the AV +/- button near the shutter button, and look on the top LCD screen you will probably see 2.0 in the bottom right corner of the top LCD. Use the scroll wheel to roll this down to 0.0 and try some shots again. I think this will take care of it.

Tim

Edit: You need to hold the Av+/- button down while using the scroll wheel to adjust your exposure compensation.
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote