Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Apr 26, 2008, 12:15 PM   #1

Good Saturday morning to all you most awesome Pentax photo gods!
Okay, so as you may already know I am a total SLR newbie. Below are my lenses.
My fav, the SMC Pentax -M 1:4 200mm, second fav SMC Pentax M f3.5 135mm
and this little wide angle thingy (I don't have an adapter for) and I really don't know what to do with it. That would be my question, what do I do with that thing?

Comments: After a couple of days playing I have determined that I hate the kit lense. Hate it, hate it, hate it. Now maybe there is something wrong with my camera. Being so new it is more likely me, but, It consistantly overexposes shots when left to its own devices.
(This include using the AE-L in full manual mode.) If I use the kit lense I must use manual to get a good exposure. None of the presets give good shots.
What do you think is it me????

And the onboard flash, eww. Thank goodness I scored a Promaster 7500DX $159! Its on the way to save the day. Cannot get any good shots indoors. Hopefully, that will change with the new flash.
So experts have you any ideas?
Thanks so much in advance,
Xmas
PS the following crappy photos taken with kit lens in manaul mode so it couldn't force a flash

pdgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2008, 3:18 PM   #2

Sorry to hear you are having such trouble with your kit lens - generally it is regarded as the best kit lens on the market.

What exposure mode are you using with it? Have you tried centre-weighted? Have you tried putting the camera into Green Mode or Program Mode to see if it is any better?

The wide angled adapter looks like it may use a series 7 adpater, which can be bought in different filter sizes. I have one for my semi-fisheye adapter and my ringflash.

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2008, 4:30 PM   #3

@pdgirl

Hm, sounds strange - I have a *ist DL2 and the 18-55mm kit lense doesn't give me those troubles. If it constantly overexposes I'd check the camera settings, especially the exposure compensation. Also try the "auto pict" (green mode) which disables almost any advanced setting.

You should get a exposure warning in your display if over/underexposed - did you check that?

As for the onboard flash - this isn't a "pro" device. It's good to shed some light on things, but that's it. I also don't like my flash images and already got some good advises here (like to use a bounce-card). If I really have to use it I try to "tame" it a bit by manipulating the flash power setting in the main menu - if you want to do close shots --> lower it, if you want to do long tele shots --> rise it.

HTH,
Th.

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2008, 4:31 PM   #4

Hi Dal,
I have not tried either. I'm still learning the camera, which is why I'm sure its just me. I'm using a K100d Super by the way. I guess I don't really hate the kit lens, I'm kinda getting used to it. It actually takes pretty good pictures when I'm in control. But when I leave (the camera) to do the decision making this is what I get:

Why have DA lenses if you always have to set the exposures yourself?
If I decide:

Old Apr 26, 2008, 4:34 PM   #5

If by green mode you mean auto pict or any of the other green zone options, then yes. That is what I'm talking about. If that is not what you mean then No.
TIA,
X

Old Apr 27, 2008, 10:38 AM   #6

Hmm thats strange I have never had any problems with my kit lens. Even if I leave it on automatic it takes pretty good pictures. Maybe you got a defective lens?
Falcor200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 2:25 PM   #7

If the second cat picture is still taken with the kit lens, but using manual exposure settings, then something is set up vey wrong on your camera.

To be honest, if the pics were the other way round, then user error would be the cause.

It could be that you have the metering set to spot mode.

However, when I used my DL2, the picture settings were near perfect every time, with a slight under-exposure to avoid blown highlights.

My K10D though will blow the highlights every time if I let it.

With your K100D Super this shouldn't happen in an auto mode.

You may need to reset all of the menus, or leave the batteries out for a couple of hours, to put the camera back to defualt settings, as it doesn't look like the camera or the lens are at fault.

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 3:33 PM   #8

Yes, that's a good idea - if you are up to it - reset the camera to factory settings and see if that helps. I really believe this is caused due to some heavy misconfiguration in the camera.

As for your lens collection - the tele end is covered well I'd say, if you are ok using "M" and "A" lenses - I'd suggest you get a 50/1.4 or 50/1.7 (usually available at a decent price) and see if that's an option for you - if yes, maybe add a 28mm or 24mm prime as well. That should cover almost every "normal" situation you come across.

For everyday/walkaround I have a Pentax-A 50/1.7 and a K 135/2.5 lens in my bag which both give me great quality. As for the tele end I found a fast sliding zoom good for action shots and recently bought a Kiron 80-200/4 that does an ok job. All-around tele zoom is a budget Tamron 70-300 1:2 macro.

At the moment I use a Vivitar 28-105/2.8-3.8 as walkaround lens because it has such a nice macro mode and is rather bright, other than that a Pentax 28-105/4-5.6 (more a good weather lens).

I am still missing a real 1:1macro lens and a good wide prime - but I don't worry too much about it - these two will find the way into my photobag too at some day

Happy snapping,
Th.

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 6:06 PM   #9
TDN

Hi pdgirl, sorry to hear you're having trouble with your new cam.

If the problem persists, could you post the pictures unedited with the full EXIF please? Then we might be able to see anything that looks off.

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 10:22 AM   #10

Hi all,
I've been away. I have an art show tonight so I've been sewing like mad to ready for it. I looked up the stats on my photos above. For camera kitty (top shot) the camera was in portrait mode and set the shot like so: fl 55mm, shutter speed 1/60, f5.6
I manually set the camera at f32 (kinda big eh?) shutter speed 1/90 and the same focal length. Both shots used the flash.
I reset the camera to all default as suggested and I've been trying to only use the kit lens for the time being. I also got my new flash the Promaster 7500dx yeah!!!
Anyway, I think I must have had something messed up from using those manual lenses, cause it seems okay now. Here's a quick pic from the cemetary all auto: