Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Apr 28, 2008, 8:29 PM   #1

I cleared out my bag and upgraded/downsized some lenses, getting rid of a bunch and adding a FA50/1.4, Tamron 70-300 Di LD, and Sigma 17-70.

Wether was crappy, so didn't really do much in the way of shooting other than a few indoor test shots. I can already tell that I'm going to be very happy with the FA50 and the 17-70.....both are very impressive lenses. My kit was decent before, but I feel as if I've made a serious jump in IQ.
maxwell1295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2008, 3:03 PM   #2

All nice additions! Congratulations on the move up!

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 3:09 PM   #3

Has the weather cleared up enough for some shooting? I'm interested to see how you get along with the Sigma compared to the FA50.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 5:21 PM   #4

The sun came out this afternoon, but I haven't had the time to do anything with it. Just got in and I hope to shoot something before dark...
Old May 3, 2008, 11:59 AM   #5

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Has the weather cleared up enough for some shooting? I'm interested to see how you get along with the Sigma compared to the FA50.
so am i.. from owner reviews the 17-70 seems to be a great lens.. time will tell..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 2:05 PM   #6

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Finally got a week of decent weather around here. Here are a few pics taken with each lens.

Sigma 17-70mm - This is my replacement walkaround lens. It's on the camera about 65% of the time.

Tamron 70-300mm - Very nice lens....pretty sharp throughout the focal range. Will show some PF in the right (wrong) conditions. Macro function is nice to play with.

FA50/1.4 - Haven't really used it much. Just shot a few test pics with it. I don't see much difference in IQ between it and my old A50/1.7. Having the AF is a huge plus.

Old May 5, 2008, 11:22 PM   #7

It does look like all three are very nice. The PF on the Tamron seems to vary on individual lenses - some people say they have quite a bit of it, while others don't notice it much at all. The Sigma looks really good.
Old May 6, 2008, 3:16 PM   #8

I try not to shoot the Tammy any wider than F8 at 300mm. That limits me to daylight shooting (F8-F16) or shooting at a higher ISO than I would like. One of the reasons the K20 is on my hitlist is the high ISO capability. Some of the samples I've seen are very promising.

I really like the Sigma 17-70 a lot. Ican see that I won't be getting much use out ofmy Sigma 24/F2.8 Super Wide.They're close enough wide open that I don't see the need toswap lenses. I just keep the 17-70 on the camera and switch to the Tammy when I need more reach.
Old May 7, 2008, 8:55 AM   #9

I had a similar experience with a Pentax 24mm 2.8 . When I first got the DS, I used it over the kit lens for whatever wide-angle stuff I wanted. As time went on, I found the kit lens did pretty good, then got the 12-24. Now the old Pentax lens sits on a table gathering dust - I really need to put it away properly again.
Old May 7, 2008, 10:19 AM   #10

I know what you mean. I've been carry the 24mm in my bag when I go shooting, but haven't used it once since I got the 17-70. I actually decided to do a testand the 17-70 is just as good wide open and renders much better colors. The speed difference at 24mm (3.5 vs 2.8) is not enough to justify carrying both, so I put the 24mm up for sale. I need to fund my next LBA......the DA10-17mm fisheye.