Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:24 AM   #21

Dear Alex,

After much research through Google I finally decided to buy Tamron 28-300mm (185D) its weird that this particular lens receive very good and very bad reviews!

I currently use Pentax K-X DSLR but I wonder if I could produce great photos such yours without any calibration.

Do you have any suggestions?

Regards,

Indria.
Indria Djamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:34 AM   #22

Hello Indria,

Really can't give you any seriously recommendations...because...depends of some important considerations as I comprehend?.

1.-...If your acquired (used right?), Tamron lens NEVER...was dropped or "Mishandled"...you near 100% surely never will known the real history!.

2.- Sorry. don't known your specific Pentax DSLR model...if it's a "Budget"...one maybe the factory "DON'T" spend much time "Calibrating 100%"...as must...must be with more high end/expensive s models.

3.- You can check it by yourself...very easily... mark with a "Black Crayon" pencil a line on a sheet of "Printing page"...mount your camera/lens combination on a sturdy tripod...use 10 seconds self-timer feature...focusing first at 300mm (450mm real Focal distance due the 1.5x crop), focal length...to the black crayon line on such paper sheet at 30 degree aside tripod/camera setting, wide open lens aperture...inside your home of course...(gave at least + 1.5 F stop + more...instead 0 one as normally 0..., due the white "Newspaper" background...which will for sure produce a "Dark/underexposed" results. After download your "test" in your PC...look at if the "Crayon made black line"...is 100% sharp ...if it's is...your body + specifically Tamron zoom lens are 100% calibrated.

If NOT...& your insist to use & enjoy this combination...I think that you will need to go/send both items to any nearest "Service Pentax" lab...for re-calibrate your specific body to your acquired Tamron lens.

Please, my dear Indria, do not hesitate informing to all of us your results...OK?.

Good luck,

Peace,

Alex 007

Last edited by Alex 007; Jul 29, 2010 at 1:03 AM. Reason: My mistake...Sorry!
Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 1:11 AM   #23

Thank you Alex, its very insightful!

I will try it. I will also post some pictures soon!

Best Regards.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 3:18 AM   #24

Default The photos I took today...

Here is some pictures I took today at the Jakarta Zoo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1483729...7624620475926/

What do you think? I believe the lens produce lots of CA. I don't know how to fix it.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 3:41 AM   #25

Hello my dear Indria,

Looks superbly...but please snap some at WIDE OPEN & at 300mm (450mmm), cropped.

So we can check the combination body/lens...if it's 100% sharp at wide open diaphragm aperture.

Looking forward for your updated wide open photos, always with my best wishes!.

Peace,

Alex 007
Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2010, 2:58 AM   #26

Default Samples photo with cropped version

Dear Alex,

How are you? I made some samples for you. From my own perspective I think its very soft wide open. The funny thing is that with my Pentax K-x, the maximum aperture open at 300mm (450mm) is not f/6.3, but f/6.7 instead!

So my Tamron 28-300mm is actually f/3.5-6.7 and not f/3.5-6.3 as stated in the lens specification. How about yours?

As your suggestion, here are the photo samples and the cropped version:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1483729...7624502177387/

Best Regards,

Indria.