Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old May 10, 2008, 1:50 AM   #1

Shalom to all the Pentaxians!

I'm thinking to buy a grip to complement my K10D, as after that my good Russian buddy calibrated my K10D 100% precisely matched to my last "Sleeper" acquired Tamron 185D model zoom lens 28-300mm which is big & heavy, comparable with lasted "Di" ones.:-x

So before I will order & wait 21 working days till will arrived, I will be very pleased if can get some personal experiences "Pro & Cons"...:P

Thanks so much for your noble explication before I will order one!

Peace,

Alex 007:|
Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2008, 7:40 AM   #2

Because I have fairly large hands, I cannot imagine being able to shoot the K10/K20 with a heavy lens without the additional leverage afforded by the battery grip. In addition, I find myself using the auxilary shutter button for shooting in portrait mode at least half the time. For me, the grip is a must-have.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2008, 7:51 AM   #3

Hello Paul,

So what I comprehend is that you recommend me very highly the grip?:?

Please assure me that I understand well...:P

Thanks,

Peace,

Old May 10, 2008, 11:54 AM   #4

While Paul loves his, I don't think I could use one. I have small hands and find that I can't easily reach the focus or zoom ring on a lens when the grip is mounted. The K10/K20 are at the edge of weight I can manage, and adding a grip makes the camera too heavy and awkward for me.

It seems to be such a personal thing - you either love the grip or hate it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2008, 12:38 PM   #5

Hello Harriet,

You say when you are shooting horizontally...as vertically REALLY must be very helpfully...or I'm wrong?:?

Yes I totally agreed...ads bulk + near 350 grams more with another battery at the grip.

Yes also the lens that I'm using now weighs more of 500 grams, so I think that will add more "Stability" + room for the "Lower" smaller finger.

BTW...today my first Son came to show me his yesterday acquired Nikon D-300...there exist a place for the last smaller finger that with our Pentax don't...pity!!!

Whatever I will wait a week more for get more "Pro & Cons" on it!:P

Thanks a lot,

Peace,

Old May 10, 2008, 12:43 PM   #6

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
While Paul loves his, I don't think I could use one.* I have small hands and find that I can't easily reach the focus or zoom ring on a lens when the grip is mounted.* The K10/K20 are at the edge of weight I can manage, and adding a grip makes the camera too heavy and awkward for me.

It seems to be such a personal thing - you either love the grip or hate it.
Hi Alex,

I'm going to ride the fence here. I bought a grip when I got my K10 last year, and never really used it because of the extra weight and bulk. Since I'm using a tripod much more than ever before, I started using the K20 with the grip, and it's more convenient in some ways. Having the extra shutter and control wheels allows for a more relaxed positioning for my right hand and arm, which probably allows for a better shutter release, and I don't have to worry about running the batteries down during a shoot. Additionally, I've got convenient storage for an extra memory card and the infra-red remote.

For handheld shooting, I still prefer the body without the grip. I have small hands, and I get the leverage that I need to support large lenses with a grip strap. I use the Camdapter straps:

http://camdapter.com/

In particular, I've got the Arca Swiss plate with the Top Grain Leather strap. It's very robust and comfortable, and allows access to the battery compartment without removing the grip base. There's one on each of my camera bodies.

Much less expensive, and not nearly as well made, the Hakuba Grip LH would work, but the plastic base does cover the battery door, and needs to be loosened to change batteries. I've used them for a few years, before discovering the Camdapter.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/194968-REG/
Hakuba_KGP02_Camera_Grip_LH.html

The same grip strap is offered by Slik and a few vendors on ebay.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2008, 12:54 PM   #7

Hi Scott,

I will check all the products that you recommended during this week...as I don't rush to spend money on something that maybe I won't use all the time!

Thanks a lot,

Peace,

Old May 10, 2008, 11:40 PM   #8

Alex, I think you can see from the range of comments that the grip question is a very personal one. The grip is a very good accessory if it adds to the ease of your shooting. It does add weight, and it is an annoyance to have to constantly remove it to access the battery compartment for charging. For me, those negatives are outweighed by the additional comfort and convenience for my style of shooting.

Paul
Old May 10, 2008, 11:46 PM   #9

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
While Paul loves his, I don't think I could use one. I have small hands and find that I can't easily reach the focus or zoom ring on a lens when the grip is mounted. The K10/K20 are at the edge of weight I can manage, and adding a grip makes the camera too heavy and awkward for me.
Harriet,

I fully understand. My K10 has moved to my wife. I put the grip on it and told her I would get another for my K20 if she wanted the grip with "her" K10. She picked it up one time and said, "You've got to be kidding!" Particularly because she has MS, the K10 alone is a struggle for her. Add the grip and there's no way she could use it for an extended period. My wife is petite and I'm 6-3, 275+....huge difference in the amount of weight in a tool that is comfortable.

Paul
Old May 10, 2008, 11:58 PM   #10

Hi Paul,

Yes it's as you say "Very Personally"...for some it's a "must"...for other "NO".

As my Russian buddy acquired one for his newer Nikon D-300...tomorrow I will be there to try with my last "Stabilizer Gadget" a Cullmann "Chest Pod" accessory...I will mount his D-300/Grip combination to test if "Vertically' use don't disturb me, yes the Nikon D-300 grip, is smaller that the Pentax...but I will get a picture if it's good for my hands...weight is NOT a issue for me...as if the whole equipment weights more the "Stabilization" must be better...what you think?:P

I add a photo that my Russian buddy took of me with his Nikon D2x fitted on the Cullmann item...but true...horizontal...so the "Built In" grip don't disturb!

Have a nice weekend & thanks for your kind responses!

Peace,

Attached Images