Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old May 10, 2008, 10:42 PM   #1

Just wondering if anyone has used this lens, and any comments? A local shop has a 'new' one for CDN $750. I've seen it, and it looks to be in excellent condition, but haven't tried it out. I am not really sure if I need it/want it, still thinking.
Dan
No_Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2008, 6:00 AM   #2

No_Pro wrote:
Quote:
Just wondering if anyone has used this lens, and any comments? A local shop has a 'new' one for CDN $750. I've seen it, and it looks to be in excellent condition, but haven't tried it out. I am not really sure if I need it/want it, still thinking.
Hi Dan,

It's possibly the best lens I own (and I have a few :-)).
It's exceptionally sharp wide open, controls CA and PF very well, and compares with the best in the focal length by any manufacturer, ever, IMO.

This lens usually sells for well over $1000 USD used, in excellent condition, so if this one is in any kind of shape, it's probably worth the $$.

The current market price is now kind of up in the air, though, because of the recent introduction of the DA* 300 f4. That lens is going for, IIRC, $1300 USD in the US, and though it looks like it's going to be a good one, user reviews are, at this point, so few that there can't really be a consensus. The DA* is a bit larger and heavier, has a tripod collar, uses a 77mm filter, is weather sealed, and has SDM AF as well as the older screw drive, and has Focus Shift, which allows you to immediately correct the focus point without having to disengage the AF.

The FA* 300 f4.5 originally sold for @$800 USD, has no tripod collar, uses a 67mm filter, so it's a bit smaller and lighter, and you have to disengage the AF by pulling back on the focus ring to correct AF. It takes to a good TC well because it's so sharp. For at least the last 4 years, this lens has brought winning bids from @ $1000 to $1800 on ebay, almost without exception, and I've never heard a bad thing about it. It's definitely in the "premium" lens catagory.

Here's a shot I took today, from about 8ft. with the FA*300 and the K20.

Scott
Attached Images

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2008, 9:14 AM   #3

I own the earlier A*300 and it's an outstanding lens, though manual focus (and one that stays in my camera bag all the time). I've sometimes hoped that the DA*300 will become a brilliant lens with a stellar reputation, so more people will sell their FA*300 lenses, lowering the price and making it possible for me to justify upgrading to an AF lens. It hasn't happened yet, but it still might. A couple of years ago I bid $1,000 on one, which sold for $1100 - I haven't really been following the prices, other than to see them on ebay advertised for similar amounts.

Now, whether you really need it is something else. I use mine quite often (distant architecture or outdoor details, sometimes I've used it for "close-ups" of distant larger flowers), but it's not a walk-around type of lens. Any time I've left it home because I wanted the space for something else, I've always regretted it. But if you are more the wide-angle type of person, I could see why you might not need it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote