Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old May 27, 2008, 6:54 PM   #11

Really love the owl Daniel. Sure would be nice if the owl was in the clear there...Though on second thought the face out of focus does make a more interesting photo. Great comparison my friend......What Chop Shop???? LOL

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 7:23 PM   #12

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Great comparison my friend......What Chop Shop???? Dawg

"One issue about the Kenko TC 1.4 & 1.5 and 2x. Because it does not reflect its presence, the SR will only work partially.
It is a AF combo and the SR is auto set to 200mm . But in fact it should have SR catered for 300mm.
Pentax 1.7x does reflect the true FL for the SR to work though.
Roy /Dawg /Scott with their lens chop shop would be able to tape and fool the camera about SR setting. But if you do tape it out, AF will not work."

I meant that you (with your lens modification shop) may be able to manipulate the lens to tell the SR that it should be 300mm instead of 200mm in the TC combo. If I do that by taping certain contacts up, AF may not work at all for the TC combo.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2008, 11:47 AM   #13

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
bigdawg wrote:
Quote:

"One issue about the Kenko TC 1.4 & 1.5 and 2x. Because it does not reflect its presence, the SR will only work partially.
It is a AF combo and the SR is auto set to 200mm . But in fact it should have SR catered for 300mm.
Pentax 1.7x does reflect the true FL for the SR to work though.
Roy /Dawg /Scott with their lens chop shop would be able to tape and fool the camera about SR setting. But if you do tape it out, AF will not work."

I meant that you (with your lens modification shop) may be able to manipulate the lens to tell the SR that it should be 300mm instead of 200mm in the TC combo. If I do that by taping certain contacts up, AF may not work at all for the TC combo.

Daniel
True but I'm loath to fool around with an expensive and good(as it is ) lens or TC.

Not that confident with my skills my friend. An old used and inexpensive one I'd play with!

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2008, 1:40 PM   #14

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Daniel
Quote:
You need MacGyver Daniel ... He'll fix it. LOL :lol:... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2008, 8:45 AM   #15

Hi all,
as TC's are in the thread, what is the general opinion of the SMC Pentax-F 1.7 AF Adaptor

TIA
Simon
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2008, 5:00 PM   #16

simowills wrote:
Quote:
Hi all,
as TC's are in the thread, what is the general opinion of the SMC Pentax-F 1.7 AF Adaptor

TIA
Simon
I recall Scott has one . Likely Kjell as well. I believe it is the most expensive TC of all makes at around $400. Besides it is a top qual TC, it has the additional feature of making a non-AF A lens into an AF lens. It is amazing that when it is doing the AF you can also adjust the focus ring manually as well the same time. Very cool design.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2008, 3:17 AM   #17

Thanks for your feedback Daniel

Simon
Old May 31, 2008, 3:44 AM   #18

I have one, and use it with my A*85 mm and A*200 mm lenses. It's nearly as good as the Pentax Rear Converter A2XS I also have. The AF Adapter was much cheaper though,in spite of it's AF capability,when it was available new (~285 USD) not long ago. The non-af Converters (A 1.4XS, A 2XS, A 1.4XL, A 2XL) are still available new and for some reason much more expensive. Can't really understand why, but I'm pretty sure you can't find better converters on the market.

Bottom line: I recommend the AF Adapter 1.7X fullheartedly.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2008, 8:57 AM   #19

Thanks for you thoughts Kjell, I picked up a s/h one and will try to make the most of it. I have tried it on my Takumar 135mm 2.8 and it looks to be good.