Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old May 19, 2008, 8:59 PM   #1

My new lens arrived today. I didn't have time to really give it a check-run, so I just shot what was in the front yard. Since it's only 200mm, these are very heavy crops, but I was really pleased with the detail. This guy looked like he was standing at parade rest waiting for inspection.

My old dog, Melvin, insisted that I take his picture to clear up some misconceptions. There are those in these forums who upon seeing pictures of him at some distance have identified him as either a hog or a small black bear. (It was hot in Arkansas today.)

Now I can't wait to have a chance at some sports to really check this thing out....wait, there's a track meet Wednesday....:-)

Paul

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2008, 9:39 PM   #2

I'll be really interested to see how this one does shooting sports. I love yourpup - how old is he? Is that some grey around the eyes and muzzle, or just natural coloring? And that's some long tongue, definitely must have been hot.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 10:49 PM   #3

I can't wait to use the lens under the lights. This is not the new Sigma lens. I still haven't heard anything about when it's coming out. I bought this one used off eekbay. I thought maybe I paid a little too much, but then saw one go two days later for nearly four hundred dollars more than what I paid. I did find a couple of things interesting about the documentation on the lens. At no point on the box or on the side f the lens, etc. is it called an HSM lens, but the documentation talks about it being HSM, and it sure focuses like it is. It is definitely heavy.

Just took a quick shot I thought you might find interesting. On the left is the DA*50-135 compared to the Sigma on the right.

Melvin is truly an old fellow with gray hair. He's about nine years old, moves slowly because of arthritis, but he is the boss of the yard. Our four year old Lab and both cats defer to him at all times. I was interested in how much DOF this shot had. It was taken at f2.8 at 148mm. I was concerned that it might be too tight to have the whole head and tongue in focus.

Summer is definitely on its way. It was a muggy 90 today in Arkansas.

Paul
Attached Images

Old May 20, 2008, 4:30 AM   #4

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
My new lens arrived today.¬* I didn't have time to really give it a check-run, so I just shot what was in the front yard.¬* Since it's only 200mm, these are very heavy crops, but I was really pleased with the detail.¬* This guy looked like he was standing at parade rest waiting for inspection.
Paul
Paul,

Well well well you cannot wait for the new Tamron or Sigma 70-200mm!!! If yours is the older Sigma zoom, you likely pay $100-200 more than it was new. A most recent trade was only a paltry $1450 (in France though). Very impressive lens indeed as I was testing it.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...688326#p688326

Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2008, 6:04 AM   #5

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Well well well you cannot wait for the new Tamron or Sigma 70-200mm!!! If yours is the older Sigma zoom, you likely pay $100-200 more than it was new. A most recent trade was only a paltry $1450 (in France though). Very impressive lens indeed as I was testing it.
Daniel,

I had given up getting one for a while when this one came up on ebay, and when I bid on it, I threw out a bid that I didn't think had any chance of getting.(Try explaining to your wife, "I didn't really expect to buy this lens......") If I remember correctly, before the lens was discontinued, Adorama was selling it for about $ 900, or about a hundred dollars above the announced for the new lens expected when? I got it for $ 800, and just a couple of days later, one just like it sold for about 12.

Thanks for the link to the discussion of the lens. If I remember correctly, some of the concerns about the softness of the lens dealt with the macro version that was the last one Sigma produced. Mine is the slightly older design without the macro, the EX DG referenced in your e-mail exchange with Sigma.

Everything I've seen so far indicates I got a good one, but the proof will be in the sports shooting.

Paul

Old May 20, 2008, 8:19 AM   #6

Glad to see you finally got one of these! I remember reading you've been wanting one of these for a while now. It seems every new post about this lens seems to raise the price up another 10%!
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2008, 4:52 PM   #7

89 muggy and a little breezy today in Alabam, Paul. Looking forward to some action photos from that lens!
Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2008, 6:01 PM   #8

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
I got it for $ 800, and just a couple of days later, one just like it sold for about 12.

Thanks for the link to the discussion of the lens.¬* If I remember correctly, some of the concerns about the softness of the lens dealt with the macro version that was the last one Sigma produced.¬* Mine is the slightly older design without the macro, the EX DG referenced in your e-mail exchange with Sigma.¬*

Everything I've seen so far indicates I got a good one, but the proof will be in the sports shooting.

Paul¬*
Paul,

People sentiment for getting the lens very much depends on the rumour which affect bidding price. You have got a good deal because desperate purchasers took heed of the advice of Tamron (B&H suggests Aug) and Sigma's new version would come in summer. Tamron's price tag is very tempting at $699 if they deliver. Sigma's offering is too good to be true with in lens motor , again if they deliver.

You know that I am a pessimist and a believer that both Tamron and Sigma will only ship in next yr. Meanwhile concentrate on using the lens for our pleasure viewing

Daniel
edited later: the one that I tested re above was the non-macro version which was just in for a short time and gone for no reason at all.
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote