Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jun 4, 2008, 2:40 PM   #1
Administrator

If you haven't seen this yet, Pentax has announced a new SMC DA 17-70mm f/4 AL [IF] SDM Lens. Click on the photo below for more:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2008, 6:13 PM   #2

It's interesting in that it requires SDM - no AF for K100 or earlier. I wonder if this is the wave of the future for Pentax, and they are going to get away from the old, in-camera AF motor. At least they haven't completely changed the mount. Nothing about sealing, but then it doesn't cost as much as the DA* lenses do, either. At F4, this sounds more like a replacement for the 16-45 and a possible kit lens alternative.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 2:50 AM   #3

On that future comment, I bought a Bigma thinking if I left it too long, perhaps newer versions would not have conventional AF for earlier non SDM bodies?????????

cheers

bb2
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 10:34 AM   #4

Hi,

It seems like a nice lens.. But Pentax is following Nikon by making the lenses only manual focus on the older cameras.. For what they are pricing it at, I will start to really buying the older film camera lenses..

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 3:09 PM   #5

You know, the more I think about this, the less it upsets me that it doesn't support the in-camera focus motor. My film SLR was a Pentax ME, and in the late '80s I decided I wanted something longer than 135mm. So I bought an F 70-210, a very awesome lens. I happily used it on my ME, though it had a couple of functions on it that my camera couldn't use - like auto exposure and auto focus. Also, that old ME had the ability to know where the aperture ring was set to and it would automatically meter based on that information. The dSLR cameras can't do that - you have to use manual mode and push a button for the camera to meter. If you use anything other than M mode, the camera won't stop down the lens.

It is going to be interesting to see who this lens appeals to and what the image quality is like. If it is significantly better than the kit lens, I could be tempted. Otherwise, probably not. It's twice the weight of the kit lens, not that much lighter than the DA*16-50 2.8. Sigma and Tamron both have 17 (or 18 )to 50 2.8 lenses that are cheaper (at least they were listed for less at b&h). Which will sell better - a little extra reach or a faster lens?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 3:36 PM   #6
TDN

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
It's interesting in that it requires SDM - no AF for K100 or earlier. I wonder if this is the wave of the future for Pentax, and they are going to get away from the old, in-camera AF motor. At least they haven't completely changed the mount. Nothing about sealing, but then it doesn't cost as much as the DA* lenses do, either. At F4, this sounds more like a replacement for the 16-45 and a possible kit lens alternative.
Yes, I think that will be the new trend. All SDM lenses, like CaNikon.

I don't mind, it's just another big step Pentax had to take, like leaving the aperture ring out with the FA-J.

It's also the sensible thing to do if you want your new camera bodies to sell...

Seems like a nice, useful range.

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 6:55 PM   #7

Hi,

Maybe I will be like the person in the thread that I read at DPreview. He is only buying F, FA, * and older lenses.

If you have handled a FA 28-70 f4 lens, It is well constructed and lightweight. Some people call it the baby brother to the 2.8 version. I wish that Pentax did not stop making the older F and FA lenses. Some of the newer ones some say are just rebadged ones with higher prices. I do not know if that is true. But this seems like what has been said to get everyone to buy newer cameras.

I think that I might start watching KEH for another ist D. So that I can have one when mine get old and grey...:G

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2008, 4:45 PM   #8

600 $ are not peanuts although itfeatures ultrasonic focusing (unfortunately ultrasonic is not referred to the focusing speed, unless something changed). I expect it to be in the range of 5/600 euros once imported in Italy, about double the price of the Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5. This latter, based on users' reports,has showed somelens centering issues, always solved by Sigma labs. No way to use the Pentax on my "old" *istDS in auto-focus mode. At the end of the story the dilemma is still there. Let's wait forsome seriousMTF tests. IMHO it could become a tough contenderbut only in case of outstanding performance.
dam59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2008, 7:52 PM   #9

Very interesting, I will be watching for more info on this lens. Amongst the many lenses I am in the market for, another kit lens is near the top of the list. The 16-50mm is under serious consideration but I think I will watch for more on this one first.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote