Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jun 5, 2008, 10:11 PM   #1

I have been eyeing the Pentax DA 12-24 for about 18 months. My wife told me to go ahead and get it - several times, but since I just missed the last rebate, I have been waiting for the next one that has not come - yet (still hoping though).

I have a trip over to Hawaii coming up on a Navy ship (for work) that would present - I would expect, a number of great photo opportunities, but I have a week and a day till it leaves and some unexpected expenses have come up.... So I started thinking about maybe going with the Sigma 10-20, as its less expensive, but now it has gone up and the difference is sufficiently small, that I have talked myself out of it, based $$$ and on some reviews. Might just as well wait till I am back and get what I really want.

Soooo, I am just going with what I currently have 10-17, 16-45, 18-55, and either the 50-200 or the 75-300. The 50-200 is a better lens however the 75-300 has better reach. I am in a quandry on that one (probably going to try to take them both). I am well covered on the wide end, but I have been hoping. Over all, I should not be complaining.....

Moral of the story. Do not wait - when you have an opportunity, take it!!!
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2008, 10:24 PM   #2

It's like opportunity lives in a trailer. You know the saying opportunity waits for those that knock. You hesitate it has gone off in it's trailer and moved to the next county! Or maybe it is opportunity that knocks but for me it has sore knuckles and decides to pass by my door!!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2008, 6:34 AM   #3

interested_observer wrote:
Quote:
Moral of the story. Do not wait - when you have an opportunity, take it!!!
Very True. A local Camera shop was running a promo on Tamron Lenses about a month ago. Bring in any used lens, and get $100 off on any Tamron lens in stock.

I have an old Oly OM 50mm 1.8 lens. The shop had the new Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 in a Pentax mount. $449 less the $100 trade would have put it at $339. I hestitated, and they aren't running the promo anymore, it only lasted 2 weeks. They don't even have the Tamron 17-50 anymore.

a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2008, 7:19 AM   #4

Hi,

Procrastination is a wonderful thing,Ehhh... LOL!!!

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2008, 8:48 AM   #5

Look at it this way - you have the wide side of things well covered with what you have. Having the 12-24 would be somewhat redundant, really. And you'd want to take the 10-17 fisheye anyway, because of thecreative perspective it gives. So you've saved some money, you'll have a great time taking pictures in Hawaii and then when you get back you can get the 12-24.

But on the other hand, I agree with not waiting when a good opportunity knocks. For some reason, they never quite come around again in the same way.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2008, 3:26 PM   #6

In Swedish we say the opportunity approaches like a snail and disappears like a lightning.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2008, 7:20 PM   #7

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
In Swedish we say the opportunity approaches like a snail and disappears like a lightning.

Kjell
I like that one Kjell!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote