Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jun 8, 2008, 4:07 AM   #11

Hi,

I don't have a wide zoom like yours, so no comments re. defishing, but for panos I've always used the free version of Autostitch which I've always found brilliant to use even with panos done handheld without a tripod. ... Jack

http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 11:26 AM   #12

Hi Jachol,

That is a very good idea, since I have it too. When I downloaded the PTLens tool, it automagically found the Photoshop Elements and installed itself as a plugin - nice touch. So I sort of forgot about Autostitch and went with PSE on the first try. However as you saw, PE has some shortcomings in figuring out everything, and Autostitch would be an excellent next try. I was sitting here last night thinking about how the stitchers work and thinking that it really is a PE problem more than anything else.

Overall as I observed, I am very happy with the lens, as it affords a very wide range of options. I am finding that after this short burst of expirementation that (along with a lot of low cost software trials available on the web), that there are very few limitations. Also, I am surprized that even with an old PC 2GHz with 512M of memory, the software runs quite well and reasonably fast - maybe a minute, or so - with several other programs open. Thus, there is no real barrier for anyone else giving this a try.

The one thing I was worried about, was finding the limitations in the software that would force you to take images in a certain way, as in additional overlap, beyond the 15 to 30% that a rectlinear lens needs. I wanted to have sufficient photo material so that the software would work, and not be sorry that I did not do something with the camera when I had a chance to "do it somewhat sufficiently right", so that I can successfully stitch after I get back. And to some extent this is the fact since after defishing, you have an hourglass image that you crop to the narrowest extent determined to the "pintch" in the middle. I think that this is the overriding factor in taking the images, and this I have recognized. Also, at least in PSE it stitched on curves rather than on straignt or semi-straight lines. AutoStitch may do this differently and I'll try it out later this afternoon - gotta go get hay while its somewhat still cool this morning for my wife's critters.

Thanks for the suggestion!!!!
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 12:41 PM   #13

OK !, I'll be interested in any results, I've never had a poor result with Autostitch, it's a fascinating program and pretty quick too. ... Jack.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 1:52 PM   #14

Hi Jack,

I spun up AutoStitch and sent both the set of unfished and defished panels through it. the results are interesting to say the least. Here is the defished stitched version.

Attached Images

Old Jun 8, 2008, 1:53 PM   #15

Here is the fished stitched with AutoStitch. Over all its much better, however it does leave a set of artificates in the image...

I think that it has to do with the bending between the various panels as they are blended together that leaves the "shadow effect", for lack of a better description.

Attached Images

Old Jun 8, 2008, 2:06 PM   #16

Well that's very interesting, it's for sure a very stringent test, not sure if you said but were the originals done on a tripod or handheld ?. If elements 6.0 has a colour replacement tool as in PSCS3 I think that would easily remove the shadow effects. ... Jack
Old Jun 8, 2008, 2:29 PM   #17

Jack,

They were all done hand held. With the defishing software thrown in and the removal of the barrelling effect, I would think that would have something to do with it. However even on a tripod, with this lens, you would still have the bending effect in play.

Zooming in on the result, AS I see tends to try to stitch in vertical lines, and thus with the "bending" in the images, you have somewhat of a "Y", or zipper effect up at the top where you can see the images stitched and not getting it perfectly correct. Its interesting that each stitcher has its own particular problems on fished and defished images in terms of the approach that is taken to the problem. Both the fished and defished panos have somewhat the same problem, however its more pronounced in the defished set.

Overall, I am still very happy with the results.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 8:25 PM   #18

Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

I edit with PaintShopPro9 and stitch with Autostitch (superb) and Canon's PhotoStitch (workable). I haven't been happy with defishing my DA 10-17 FE images in PSP9; I usually just run the Barrel Distortion Correction filter at 99% a couple times. That's a compromise between edge conditions of 1) too curvy and 2) too blurry.

Autostitch is great IF your images aren't too large, with too much overlap. Stitching three 15mpx pix with 50% overlap can take all night on my 3Ghz dual-P4 Toshiba. Autostitch is great for locating and using sets of fairly rectilinear shots of any orientation and order, and piecing them together well. I'll sometimes mix B&W and color shots, for interesting effects. But non-rectilinear images create shadow effects.

One way to avoid those shadow effects is to first edit all the source images to straighten and rectify lines. With PSP9, I first correct for Barrel Distortion, then run Perspective Correction to verticalize leaning lines near the edges. Now they'll stitch together without the image ghosts.

Autostitch options: Go to the Edit/Options menu item, and you get a mysterious and intimidating screen. Ignore all of those except: Output Size / Scale=100% (or whatever size you want); Gain Compensation ON (this finesses brightness differences); and JPEG Quality=99% (or whatever you want). Otherwise, go with the defaults.

PhotoStitch (which came with a Canon printer) is a fun quick-and-dirty. *IF* I have shot an array/matrix of images, and *IF* those pix were shot from the same fixed position; and *IF* the array/matrix isn't too large; *THEN* PhotoStitch will assemble a stitch-up pretty fast. And the picture edges will always be straight, unlike with Autostitch. But PhotoStitch, easy as it is to use. is rather unforgiving of images that weren't shot from exactly the same vantage point. I can either live with it, or heighten the discontinuities for 'creative' effects, or do a lot of careful Clone Brushing in PSP9.

Autostitch automatically arranges the source images into their proper places. PhotoStitch has an 'arrange' screen that allows (forces) you to place the images in desired positions, in one or two dimensions. It also allows for 360-panoramas where the same image is used at either end. For a weird effect. use a number of portraits of someone, taken from the same position with a neutral background, where the subject looks in different directions in each shot. PhotoStitch contains a few tricks.

I stich many images from my 1 and 5 and 8 mpx PnS cams. I don't stitch many 14.6mpx pics from my K20D. That's why I got the damn 10-17 FE lens, so it could take panoramas for me! Just crop the top and bottom (landscape mode) and call it good.
RioRico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 1:05 AM   #19

I've had good luck with CS3's automatic stitching tool. Both with standard rectilinear lenses and fisheye (Zenitar)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisca...7603719490878/ several panos stitch with CS3

ccallana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 8:31 AM   #20

Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

ccallana wrote:
Quote:
I've had good luck with CS3's automatic stitching tool. Both with standard rectilinear lenses and fisheye (Zenitar)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chriscallanan/sets/72157603719490878/ several panos stitch with CS3
Hi, neighbor. That link seems to be broken. At least, the Flickr page says: This is not the page you're looking for.
RioRico is offline   Reply With Quote