Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jun 9, 2008, 12:11 PM   #1

Hi All

I bought the above lens on eBay during the deep, dark winter months for a reasonable (but probably slightly OTT) price. Fortunately I can't remember the exact price!! Took a chance that being a Vivitar it may not be a paperweight like the last 400mm lens I had.

The idea was to use it during the summer, which has only just started to arrive.

It is too big to really handhold, unless I up the ISO, so I tried it on my monopod with a ball head. Found the great limitation of primes - you have to move to zoom!!!

Anyway, I went to our local butterfly place, which has an outdoor Meerkat feature (I love Meerkats. I can watch them for hours)

A few from the day (it is a k-mount lens so manual everything)

Unusally for me, these are jpgs straight from the camera - no editing, sharpening or anything.

I may have a little play when I print them, but they seem fine to me.

As always, C&C welcome, and more shots on my Flickr site

Dal

Some indoor macro shots are here

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=80

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2008, 2:21 PM   #2

Couple the Wife shot

I couldn't back up any further!!

Dal

Old Jun 9, 2008, 4:27 PM   #3

There is a series (kind of like a melodramatic soap opera) now running on the Animal Planet Channel called Meerkat Manor -- if you like Meerkats, which are cute, but nasty. It is their highest rated program in terms of viewership.

For a situation like this, you could carry a macrofocusingTC (Vivitar made one of these) or extension tubes to get you closer, although there would be a penalty in f/stops.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2008, 4:38 PM   #4

I think I have seen nearly all of the Meerkat programs on TV at least twice, American and British. I don't think they are nasty, they just look cute, but are still wild animals, following their instincts.

These ones have been bred in captivity, and have never seen a wild Meerkat, and yet they usually always have a guard, just as they do in the wild. Some habits just can't be broken I suppose.

The extension tubes are something I remembered when I started shooting - funny how all the good ideas go through your head when you can't do anything about it.

Thanks for looking

Dal
Old Jun 9, 2008, 9:52 PM   #5

Looks like a keeper to me Dal! I've been looking at some of those myself!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2008, 10:39 PM   #6

That's quite nice - definitely looks like a keeper. What's the minimum focus distance on something like that?I gather it's not close to you. Aren't you glad you shoot digital - then it doesn't cost anything to experiment.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2008, 1:36 AM   #7

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Looks like a keeper to me Dal! I've been looking at some of those myself!

Dawg
Thanks Dawg.

I think it just pays to be aware that most of these type of lenses appear to bejust paperweights. Avoid things like Soligor.

Although this is a f5.6 lens, I still went down one stop to f8 (my fav aperture).

I think I would still rather have the Bigma, if only for the convienience of zooming.

Dal
Old Jun 10, 2008, 1:38 AM   #8

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
That's quite nice - definitely looks like a keeper. What's the minimum focus distance on something like that?I gather it's not close to you. Aren't you glad you shoot digital - then it doesn't cost anything to experiment.
Thnaks for looking.

The minimum distance is around 20 feet, which doesn't sound too bad but is really far away when used on a digital.

Next time I will put an extension tube on it and try to bring it down to around 10 feet to make it more usable.

Dal

Old Jun 10, 2008, 4:07 AM   #9

Nice sharp bright shots. Nice lens.

cheers

bb2
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2008, 4:29 AM   #10

I'd be very happy with that one Dal, best long prime I have at the moment is a nice Tamron 300/f5.6. Ebay prices seem to rocket when 400mm's or greater come up, and I've often wondered just how good some of them are.

I likethe idea for the viv macro adaptor( I have one), thanks for that Penolta, that thought is now filed away in the memory banks. ... Jack.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote