Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jun 11, 2008, 11:27 PM   #1

Hello,
I have read that with the K20D you need excellent lens to get the best photos out of it, I also read that cheaper lens photos with the K20D will look worse than my K100D.

Is this all true ?

I have the following -

Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG
Tamron SP AF90mm F/2.8 (Di) Macro
Pentax-M 100mm F4 Macro
Pentax-M 28mm F2.8 Wide

Will these lens be good enough ?

Rodney
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2008, 12:09 AM   #2

K20D+M100 mm Macro f4.0. I haven't used my K20D enough yet to say if it enhances the bad with "bad" lenses, but I do think it squeezes the better out of the good ones. I'd guess that if you pixelpeep at full size it does reveal softness that is not visible with a 6 MP camera, but I think that difference is gone if you downsize the picture to 6 MP. Thus you havent lost anything when compared with your K100D, but you have a potential for even more detailed pictures with HQ lenses.

Kjell
Attached Images

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 7:18 AM   #3

Hi Rodney,

The only one that might be on the weaker side is the 70-300mm APO Sigma. The rest of your lenses were full frame. I don't see any reason that they would not work with the K20D. The only limitations with most lenses are the user and imagination...

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 8:12 AM   #4

Kjell's experience parallels mine. The kit lens I have (came with a DS) performed quite well on the K10 and below. The pictures I've taken with the K20 looked about the same as with the other cameras - not any better or worse, just bigger because of the extra pixels. However, the pictures from the 50-135 and the A300 have been noticeably better - there's extra resolution and sharpness that isn't there with the K100 and K10. So it isn't so much that the kit lens looks worse on the K20 - it's that the high quality lenses look that much better and I miss that extra bit I get with the higher quality lenses. I've ended up pretty much leaving the kit lens on the K100 and shooting everything else with the K20.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 11:20 PM   #5

Thanks Everyone, you have eased my mind. I can't wait to get the K20d.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote