Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jun 18, 2008, 11:52 PM   #1
igo

Hello all. I don't see anything about the 18-250 in here. As a shoot on the fly backpacker, I had to make a decision to stick to a walk-about lens while hiking because of dust distroyed CCDs here in the canyons of the SW. I bought the 18-250 but have only shot in the mountains thus far.

Any reports on this lens yet?
igo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2008, 4:41 AM   #2

I don't know about users of this forum, but in general it's a consensus that it's a very good lens.

It's considered to surpass the two kit lenses in quality and that's not a little feat for such a zoom lens.

For traveling and hiking I think it's a very good choice, that I'm considering too.

If you can bring with you also a couple of primes I think you're set for everything.
Lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2008, 6:52 AM   #3
igo

Good. Good.

I can't change lenses while hiking in the desert. Sandy dust kills my cameras. That is why I am trying such a span of a lens. So far so good.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 2:20 PM   #4

There are a couple of people that posted some really nice pictures taken with this lens. It would certainly be lighter to hike with just that one lens, rather than a backpack full of lenses (yes, I do that). Main negative I've seen about it is that it's not very fast, but when you are hiking it doesn't matter much.

I guess I've been lucky - I hike in the mountains all the timewith several lenses and haven't had a problem. But I am very careful to keep my back to the wind when changing lenses, and I haven't tried to shoot in a sandstorm yet. I thought about stopping to take pictures at an off-road race near Primm, NV, but was more concerned about the fact that I didn't have a UV filter for my long lens, and I didn't want to risk the sand scratching it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2008, 8:52 PM   #5
igo

I live in Vegas and hike Charlston every weekend in the summer. I don't have much trouble up there; it's out at the Lake where I hike all winter that I pick up strays under the CCD coating. Sometimes there is a shot deep in the Canyon that can't be missed and one has just got to change lenses in a duststorm. LOL.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 11:03 PM   #6

I can relate to just having to change lenses for a shot. In fact, I often (when not seriously hiking) carry too cameras - a wide angle on one and a long tele on the other. I can manage 4-5 miles or so, especially ifI don't have any other lenses. Of course, whenever I've done that I've wanted a macro. I can't seem to win.

The other thing I do when I change lenses in the field is to have the new lens all ready in my right hand, then take off the old lens with the left hand while putting the new lens on with the right. The camera is exposed for a very short time. I'll still get the occasional dust on the sensor, but not very much and it's always come off with a hand blower. I've changed lenses in wind, but not dust/sand storms - most of the time I avoid such conditions.

Now that I have a filter I can use on the long tele, I might try to shoot one of the off-road races they have around Baker and Primm, just for the experience.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 8:29 AM   #7
igo

It's the elecrmagnetic static charges famous in the desert and the fact that the dust is iron oxide. Changing lenses in the desert in winter is a gamble even on still days.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 2:04 PM   #8

Interesting. I've wandered arounda bit in Red Rock National Park a couple of timesand changed lenses quitea bit lastwinter (normal conditions, not extreme by any means) and had no trouble. Guess I was lucky.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 7:58 AM   #9

Of course, everybody knows the Pentax SMC DA 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 ED AL [IF] is a Tamron AF 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical [IF] macro lens in disguise???
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 6:41 PM   #10

Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

dnas wrote:
Quote:
Of course, everybody knows the Pentax SMC DA 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 ED AL [IF] is a Tamron AF 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical [IF] macro lens in disguise???
Uh, why did Pentax leave out the macro capability, then? Near focus is around 18 inches. Of course, a diopter lens can be mounted for macro work.

Meanwhile, I love my 18-250. My minimum kit contains the DA 18-250 and 10-17, and the FA 50/1.4; the 18-250 stays mounted 98% of the the time I'm outdoors. All those thousands of bucks worth of other lenses I got on eBay are just garnish, relatively.

One way to allay dust+grit concerns is to get a film changing bag, and change lenses within it. One can even manipulate a lens pen or brush or blower in there, to clean the mirror etc.
RioRico is offline   Reply With Quote