Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jul 4, 2008, 4:09 PM   #1

i've always been a little worried about the stress of the flashes hot shoe when it's off camera..
i'm trying to relieve that by resting the difusser on the vivitar's lenshood. i was worried the flash would be too strong but the DS TTL takes care of it..
what's better is i can get 6-11 consecutive flash shots at 3.5shots a second. this getup only shoots at 1:1 and up to 1:1.3 mag before the flash gets into the lens's field of view.
Attached Images

robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2008, 4:10 PM   #2

works good inside. the heat here is brutal so i'll wait for later to do a field test.
Attached Images

Old Jul 4, 2008, 4:12 PM   #3

Hi Roy,

Nice setup... What happened to the ring light you made??? I thought that was you hot setup???

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2008, 4:55 PM   #4

hey rudy,
i sold the ring flash i had and the LED ring light is on the top of a shelf. the LED light works ok but there's no shadow detail the way i like it. this has been my macro rig for quite some time.. i just made another flash attachment for it.. also don't forget using that 1/2'' rod for support..

roy
Old Jul 5, 2008, 5:58 AM   #5

Hi Roy

That is now similar to the way I have my rig. Checked Lord V's setup and his was over the les, so I added a bigger ball head to the flash and it sits very nicely.

Seems to balance the rig a lot better as well.

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2008, 11:32 AM   #6

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Roy

That is now similar to the way I have my rig. Checked Lord V's setup and his was over the les, so I added a bigger ball head to the flash and it sits very nicely.

Seems to balance the rig a lot better as well.

Dal
i've used this kind of setup before i saw lord V's setup. i did get an excellent tip from him and that was his bean pole.. i got one from the garden supply for about $3.. it's 1/2'' x 6'(12mm/1meter).. i then applied about 2' of the pole with a rubber compound that is used for tools. it's totally slip proof. if i have to get down close i just turn it end for end.

roy
ck the other forum for shots taken today.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 12:26 PM   #7

Interesting set up Roy, although it does look a little "Mad Max" ish :-). Who the heck is Lord V?

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2008, 2:17 PM   #8

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
... Who the heck is Lord V?

Tim
He is a superb macro photographer in the UK. Most of shots he does in his garden. Here's a link to one of his galleries... http://www.dslreports.com/pics/dimaging/1305035 He is also on Flickr. His shots are truly amazing.
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2008, 11:36 PM   #9

Rufus T Firefly wrote:
Quote:
He is a superb macro photographer in the UK. Most of shots he does in his garden. Here's a link to one of his galleries... http://www.dslreports.com/pics/dimaging/1305035 He is also on Flickr. His shots are truly amazing.
Wow, amazing is right. I think I am going to take my web gallery down now . . .

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2008, 11:02 PM   #10

His raindrops are awesome. I think I want to get a little more serious about macros. Since I already have a lens that's capable of 1:1, should I get dioper lenses, a TC or an extension tube to get larger than 1:1? I'm thinking of a TC since I don't want to get much closer to the subject than I am with the 105, and think that both the dioper and extension tube would mean getting closer, right? If I get a TC, which one should I get (I'll skip the Sigma APO since there are lens limitations with it). Or is that a bad idea, using a TC for macros?

Edit - I played with my home-made extension tube. It doesn't change the closest focusing distance by all that much and it does increase the magnification some. I'm going to have to be happy with what Ihave for a while, maybe even a long while - this morning our car had an encounter with a bear, and the car lost (sigh). Don't know what happened to the bear - it was thrown clear of the road and we couldn't seewhere it wentin the dark (before first light).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote