Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jul 8, 2008, 10:24 PM   #1

Got my new 55-300 and am about to get a UV filter/protector for it. In my short time with this lens, I am really liking the color and contrast so I was considering getting a better filter than in the past. Any suggestions?
sgarthee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2008, 10:46 PM   #2

B+W or Hoya will do. Ain't much better but they do cost more! I'm cheap so I normally get Tiffen filters or just add to my Cokin filter system.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 11:05 AM   #3

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
B+W or Hoya will do. Ain't much better but they do cost more! I'm cheap so I normally get Tiffen filters or just add to my Cokin filter system.

Dawg
That is my same issue. In the past I have just used Tiffen since they were "less expensive". I am now looking at the multicoated B+W and Hoya but don't know where to draw the line or if they are really better.

You can't be too cheap. I have been looking for a "cheap" Bigma for quite some time but you actually bought one.:-)
Old Jul 10, 2008, 11:56 AM   #4

Check the prices at www.2filter.com - They were very reputable and I've bought from them on a couple occasions. It's been a couple years since I bought a filter so can't comment on whether they're still the best deal or not.

For what it's worth I have been happy with the Hoya Super HMC filters. Can't say if others are better because I've used them and been happy with the results.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 9:53 PM   #5

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I purchased a Hoya HMC Superfor my DA*50-135 and a Heliopan for my DA *16-50mm. I cannot however tell if the results are any better than if I used a lesser expensive filter since I have not done any tests with the alternates. For my kit lens I use an inxpensive TIffen filter (cost about $10)and have no complaints. I use the UVs more for protection than for filtering; if nothing else, I have the good feeling that I have premium filters in front of my premium lenses. Either that or I'm a sucker for good marketing.

BTW, check out Amazon.com for selection and price.

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2008, 1:06 PM   #6

Thanks for the input. I think I will poke around the internet for a $30 to $40 Hoya or B+W and see how it goes.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 8:15 PM   #7

This is often a divisive issue, but my $.02 is to spend a day shooting with no UV filter whatsoever and then try a day with the filter. My decision was that the filters added nothing and, under some circumstances, detracted from the quality of my shots. I use a hood and the lens cap to protect my lens but I don't have UV filters on any of them.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote