Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jul 10, 2008, 9:24 PM   #11

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I've never tried the DA70 2.4 Limited, so I can't say whether the FA 77 Limited is worth the extra cost.

Edit: When I got home and took a look at what Office Picture Manager did, I removed it. Here's the same picture taken from the raw version, processed in Lightroom and resized with CS2. I think it is a much better version than the one I had previously posted. It's really the only portrait I've taken so far.
That is pretty darn good for wide open IMO. Out of curiousity, how far back is the background? It is very nicely and smoothly blurred out.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 9:58 PM   #12

The building in the background isn't close - much further away than I am to my victim - ur, subject (across a quad). I'm terrible at distance so wouldn't hazard a guess as far as feet. It would definitely have been blurred at f2.8 and probably at f5.6 (though not as much). The picture I posted in the comparison thread (the one of the crucifix) has a much closer subject to background distance, and would probably be a better picture to judge.

I did take a series of pictures of my boring large format copier paper feeders that were taken at various focal lengths, showing DOF, sharpness and bokeh. I thought I might post them as part of my impressions after a couple of days using the 77.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2008, 7:59 PM   #13

Thanks Harriet,
I am looking forward to seeing more from both of the 77mm and the 50-135mm, as both are on my "aquire" list. I just knocked one off of my list and ordered a consolation prize at the same time, but I will post a new thread about that.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote