Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jul 9, 2008, 12:16 PM   #1

DA 70 2.4 Limited ($480.00) vs the FA 77 1.8 ($680.00)

Seems a little expensive for (1) stop.

I have the 40 2.8 and the 213.2 and they perform quite well. Would appreciate any input.

Thanks
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2008, 12:43 PM   #2

I don't have either one of them, but I have had (and have on order again) the FA 50mm f1.4.

If you shoot in extreme low light, the difference between the two could mean the difference between ISO 1600 and ISO 3200, with the attendant increase in noise meaning that you would have to go to noise reduction and its subsequent loss in image quality. Or, in the case of the shot below from an outdoor stage production at the Polynesian Culture Center in Oahu, the difference was between ISO 2500 and ISO 5000 to be able to get a shutter speed of 1/1000 to caputre the fast-moving dancer. (Noiseware was used on this one since I was at ISO 2500.)

In deciding how to replace my FA 50mm, I strongly considered the same choice you're facing. I decided to hold out for the lower f-stop when I could afford it, but to go ahead and buy the 50mm at a little less than $ 200 for now

Like so many other things, the choice is entirely dependent on what YOU shoot. I have the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8, the Sigma 28mm f1.7, and the DA*50-135 f2.8, but I do enough shooting at very low light levels that I felt the need to have the length under f2.0.

Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 2:23 PM   #3

Going to use this for portraits so I am not concerned with the low light-looking for the best bokeh. This shot was with the ist DS and DA 50-200. Quite a bit of work done in PS 2.0
Attached Images

Old Jul 9, 2008, 4:45 PM   #4

I've never tried the DA70 2.4 Limited, so I can't say whether the FA 77 Limited is worth the extra cost.

Edit: When I got home and took a look at what Office Picture Manager did, I removed it. Here's the same picture taken from the raw version, processed in Lightroom and resized with CS2. I think it is a much better version than the one I had previously posted. It's really the only portrait I've taken so far.

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 12:03 AM   #5

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I've never tried the DA70 2.4 Limited, so I can't say whether the FA 77 Limited is worth the extra cost.

Edit: When I got home and took a look at what Office Picture Manager did, I removed it. Here's the same picture taken from the raw version, processed in Lightroom and resized with CS2. I think it is a much better version than the one I had previously posted. It's really the only portrait I've taken so far.

Bokeh looks really great and I appreciate the comments but I really don't want another zoom. The 50-135 must be quite a lens based on your posts-glad you like it.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 12:12 AM   #6

This portrait was taken with the 77 Limited, not the DA50-135, and I used f1.8. Sorry to not explain that better in my post (I was editing another one where I gave the statistics).
Old Jul 10, 2008, 7:59 AM   #7

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
This portrait was taken with the 77 Limited, not the DA50-135, and I used f1.8. Sorry to not explain that better in my post (I was editing another one where I gave the statistics).
Quote:
No wonder the bokeh is so good. I have a ist DS & a K10d-how is the auto focus on the K10d-based on your previous posts I think you had one prior to getting the K20
Thanks
Old Jul 10, 2008, 9:01 AM   #8

Can't say what the AF would have been like with the K10, since I've only had the77 for a couple of days. I have only used it on the K20 - this weekend I'll pull out the K100 and see what I can get with that combination.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 4:16 PM   #9

Hi DMJJR,

I don't own either of these, but I can relay some hearsay from things I've read from some pretty good photographers who have used both.

I've seen a couple of respected street photographers say that they've sold the 77 in favor of the 70. Their main reasons were the size of the lens, as they feel that the lens is much less conspicuous, and they didn't need the extra stop. They both felt that they didn't lose anything significant in IQ, so the choice was pretty easy for them, mostly based on size (which I really consider a major consideration, but I'm not a street shooter).

There are some other considerations. . . The 77 is an FA so is definitely a full 35mm frame lens, and has an aperture ring. The 70 is a DA, so is designed for an APS-C sensor, has no aperture ring, and is a pancake style lens, which some find less comfortable to manually focus, but it does have Quick Shift focusing, which might balance this off -- so if any of these features or characteristics make a difference, they should be considered.

Personally , I think I'd prefer the 77, if all things were equal, but the price difference IS significant. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2008, 7:13 PM   #10

Talked myself into the DA 70 Limited-that would complete my set. Never thought I would end up with all three-their performance more than meets my needs and their size is the deal maker. Thank you everyone for your input. Hopefully I will post a few shots in the coming weeks.