Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jul 11, 2008, 7:35 PM   #1

Pentax k100D

Tamron 70-300mm lens

Kiron match mate 4 element converter

I don't get it, of course today is my first day with this converter.

I set the camera to manual mode, I can change the shutter speed or at least it displays as doing so, but the aperture just shows ( - - )

So how can I change the aperture value if I can't see it. Do dismount the converter put the lens on and set the aperture and then dismount the lens, mount the converter back on again then the lens?

Is there a setting in the camera that would allow me to change the aperture or show me the value on the screen.

Thanks

Mike
Island Brook Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2008, 7:41 PM   #2

I am not familiar with that teleconverter but I suspect that it does not have the "A" setting electronic contacts. If that is the case, you need to use the camera in M mode. You would then set aperture using the aperture dial on the lens. You can use the green button and scroll wheel to set shutter speed. Remember if that TC is a 2x, it doubles your focal length but also doubles your aperture. You will need bright light to effectively hand hold that 70-300mm with a doubler on it.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2008, 8:36 PM   #3

What green button?

:O

MIke

I only ever use the camera in Manual Mode, I just took a select bunch of shots starting with F-4 all the way down to F-32

The images should have also gotten selectively darker but they did not change, I am stumped.

:OMike

Old Jul 11, 2008, 9:37 PM   #4

What camera are you using? And yes, in M mode they should have gotten progressively darker. In Av Mode, though, the camera would automatically adjust for changing light but would also leave the aperture wide open. Are you sure you are in M?

On K10d and K20d there should be a green button near the shutter release that takes a meter reading and sets the program line. On the K100d the AE-L button on the top right rear of the camera does the same thing when you are in M mode. I have not used a K200d but I assume it is similar to one or the other.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2008, 10:09 PM   #5

OK thanks, I did the meter thing as you suggest images came out well exposed as a result in low light.

Still no change in light level as F stop changed.

I guess I'll just use the meter and then up the ISO to increase the shutter speed if need be.

thanks

Mike

Old Jul 11, 2008, 11:51 PM   #6

OK - you have me confused (but then, I'm easy to confuse). Are you using the current Tamron 70-300 lens? The one without an aperture ring on the lens?

I'm not familiar with the Kiron TC, but from the one picture I found of one, it looks like it is a manualK-mount without contacts for electronics. That means there's no way that the camera can talk to your lens. The hint to that is the fact that your aperture showed as --and, if I understand, even though you change the aperture in the camera, the exposure stays the same. (As a related item, have you changedthe setting in the menu to allow use ofthe aperture ring?The default setting is "no"soyou would need to change that to "yes" - Ithink you must have because I wouldn't think you could take a picture at all with a manual lens without it).

There's noway you canproperly use amanual TC with a lens without an aperture ring, so if you do have the Tamron without the aperture ring,itjust won't work. If its an olderone that does have an aperture ring, then you need to take it off the "A" setting and choose what aperture you want on the lens itself. Thenuse theAE-L buttonso the camera can temporarily stop down thecamerato the aperture seton the lens and meter.

If your Tamron is the current one without the aperture ring, you'll have to buy a TC with the electronic contacts.

If this doesn't make sense, say so. It's well past my bedtime and it's been a long week so I may not make any sense at all.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 5:20 AM   #7

Yeah I changed the aperture ring setting last year when trying to use a 50mm prime and a 28mm vivitar prime

Tamron AF70-300mm F4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 It has a small ring at the base settings from 4-32.

So set the Aperture and hit the AE-L button, got it, easy as pie

Thanks

Mike