Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jul 11, 2008, 7:37 PM   #1

I have insomnia; in my line of work we call it Detectives Disease. I am also going on a weeks vacation to the beach at the end of this month and I have been researching wide to normal zooms for that trip for quite awhile. For months I have been locked between the near macro capability and lower price of the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 macrovs. the Pentax 16-50mm's wider angle, weather sealing, and HSM motor.

So in the wee hours of this morning as sleep continued to elude me, I made my final decision. I did not buy either. I rather spontaneously sprang for the Pentax 10-17mm ultra wide and the Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8. Hopefully I will not regret my decision but you can count on photos and impressions after I have had a chance to deploy each lens. Beware, LBA is worse when you are sleep deprived.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2008, 11:24 PM   #2

Oh, what great FUN you'll have! The DA 10-17 will be fun because you'll have the fisheye effect to play with, while still having Sigma for low light. By the way, LBA strikes at odd times, like right when you get some unexpected coins in your pocket. When you have both the few extra bucks and are sleep deprived, perhaps even a little depressed/stressed out, then it's really fatal. That's when you end up buying lenses you've spent the last 6 months trying to convince yourself you don't need. Isn't shopping therapy so helpful to your psyche (but not your pocketbook...).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 5:24 PM   #3

Hi Tim,

After waking up and stumbling over to the computer yesterday morning, I opened an e-mail from KEH to find that they had just received the FA*600/4 that they were expecting. I went to the site, and it was still there (unlike most of the choice Pentax glass, which is usually snatched up within seconds of posting). I think that the $4600 USD asking price was making a lot of people thake some time to think about it.

It actually took me more than a couple of minutes of thinking what a burden a 12+lb lens (and then add the weight of the aluminum trunk case) would be to lug around. After some quick calculations, I came to the realization that living on fish heads and rice for two years was going to be something of a hardship, and I reluctantly closed out the shopping cart window and gave someone else the chance to own this lens. . .. The only problem that I see is that even giving a lens in this price range any consideration at all makes anything under 2 grand seem cheap by comparison. . . I'll have to watch myself, especially with the dismal predictions for the economy in the near future. . .

Getting back to your OP, I think you'll like the combo that you've chosen. I like the 10-17 for the unique perspective it gives (tho it does take some getting used to), and the 24-60 will give you a good, fast, medium wide to short tele. As someone who doesn't use wide that much, I think that this combo gives you a lot of versatility.

Congrats on your purchase, and I hope these lenses meet your expectations.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2008, 8:14 PM   #4

pant,pant,pant!!!???
a 600/4 ???

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2008, 5:22 AM   #5

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
I rather spontaneously sprang for the Pentax 10-17mm ultra wide and the Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8. Hopefully I will not regret my decision but you can count on photos and impressions after I have had a chance to deploy each lens. Beware, LBA is worse when you are sleep deprived.

Tim
Tim,

Let me know how you like the Sigma 24-60mm. I've been wrestling with getting one.
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2008, 6:26 AM   #6

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Tim,

You'll love this DA 10-17 Fish Eye lens. Here's why I love mine:

Jay

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2008, 8:11 PM   #7

a200user wrote
Quote:
Tim,

Let me know how you like the Sigma 24-60mm. I've been wrestling with getting one.
Well thanks for the enabling ya'll. I am going to be sure to subpoena each of you to my divorce proceedings :lol:. Actually, the problem in our household is that *I* am the fiscally restrained person, my wife's attitude is always "Well if you want it, why don't you buy it?"

Cameta sure shipped quickly and the 24-60mm was waiting for me yesterday afternoon. The 10-17mm has not arrived yet. Our summer has been a return to traditional Florida summer weather with frequent afternoon thunderstorms. Generally it is overcast or raining when I get home and pretty sunsets have been in short supply. Still, I tried to do some testing with the 24-60mm and here are my impressions:

Pro: Nice build, sturdy feel but not too heavy. The distance between minimum focus distance and infinity is not far and the lens focuses pretty quickly as a result. It seems to be sharp even wide open and it is very nice at f/4. If you have used the Sigma 24-135mm lens, it balances and feels almost exactly like that lens on the camera.

Cons: The 6mm difference between 18 and 24 seems like a far larger difference than the 10mms between 50mm and 60mm (compared to the kit lens). At least in the overcast conditions I tested in, autofocus is not certain at longer distances. It seems to do well focusing at shorter ranges but muffed focus twice when I tried to take a landscape.

Bear in mind that these are very much first impressions. I have taken less than fifty shots with this lens thus far. I am posting a few test shots for a200user and anyone who is considering this lens. My initial reaction is that the lens is a bargain for the $200 asking price from Cameta. All of the below shots are shot in jpeg on the K20d with no post processing (aside from either cropping or resizing) and default camera settings.

Tim
Old Jul 15, 2008, 8:14 PM   #8

Water spigot in my back yard. I did some test shots at f/2.8, f/4, and f/5.6. I locked ISO at 100 and the camera was handheld. Focal length was 60mm. This shot has been resized but is otherwise unaltered:

Attached Images

Old Jul 15, 2008, 8:15 PM   #9

100% crop at f/2.8:

Attached Images

Old Jul 15, 2008, 8:15 PM   #10

100% crop at f/4
Attached Images