Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jul 20, 2008, 3:52 AM   #1

Hello, My Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG plays up with my K20D menu, the menu wont stay on, all my other lenes work ok and let the menu stay on.
I don't know if I had the problem before with my K100D, but today I checked the K100D and it does have the same problem.

I read on another forum someone had a similar problem with their Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG and a K10D, although it was distorting the screen.

Is anyone else having this problem with any lens and do you think this could cause damage to the camera, is it safe to continue using ?

Rodney.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2008, 8:15 AM   #2

Hi Rodney,
Sounds a bit strange the display going wonky, I wouldn't trust it until I had a more definite answer, did you buy the lens locally? If so take it back & try it on one of their cameras.
Simon

ps as your up there in the north, you haven't got any goo growing on the electrical terminals or anything like that have you?
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2008, 2:47 PM   #3

I was hoping that Roy or someone like that would chime in. There were similar problems with a different Sigma lens back about 2 years ago, I think. If you search way back you might be able to find out about it. It sounded like the same symptoms.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2008, 4:06 PM   #4

I've never heard of this situation. I have a K100D and that same lens, and the camera has always worked flawlessly with that lens attached. According to mtngal, a similar problem occurred several years ago. I bought my lens only about one year ago, so perhaps there was a problem with an early production run, and Sigma corrected the issue before making my lens. I wish I could be more help, but I have nothing more to add. Good luck.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2008, 7:01 PM   #5

The lens Harriet is remembering is the Sigma 24-135mm. Cameta had a load of them cheap but some people got examples that would turn off the rear display when mounted. Mine has always worked fine. As I recall, the ones returned to Sigma were sent back with a new chip that fixed the problem.

My 70-300mm is an older one, a Super II, that has never had the problem either.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2008, 11:38 PM   #6

All Fixed Now

I went to 'Harvey Norman', an electrical retail shop here, and asked at the camera counter about my problem. The kids serving there had no idea, but I was lucky the Canon photographic representative was there.

He asked what camera and lens I had and told me to try just wiping the contacts with a lint free cloth and
never use household alcohol
as it will leave some residue behind, and may fry your camera.

He said if the cloth didn't work I would have to take it to a service center where they are licensed to use pure alcohol that evaporates completely and leaves no residue.

Lucky for me I had just bought new spectacles which came with a lint free cloth. I carefully wiped the contacts and there was a tiny amount of dirt that came off.

Now the lens and camera are working perfectly, and who would think I'd be thanking Canon, they certainly have a friendly and helpful rep.

Rodney.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote