Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jul 20, 2008, 8:29 PM   #1

Hello Pentaxians... I'm back. I hope to be able to provide a full explanation on the main Pentax DSLR board before very long. But things are still playing themselves out. Meanwhile, I would like some honest feedback on the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens for the K20D and K200D, as well as the 50-200mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. If my budget turned out to be much more limited than I expected, how well would these lenses serve me until I could swing the 16-50mm f/2.8 and 50-135mm f/2.8 lenses down the road? If I'm lucky, I might not have to settle for the kit lenses but, just in case, what say ye?
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2008, 9:32 PM   #2

I used the 18-55mm regularly on the K100d and K10d. I really like this lens and the new version is supposed to be even better. As you would expect, performance wide open is not extraordinary but you don't have to stop down much to start getting good results. It focuses fairly closely at the wide end too, which opens up some macro like possibilities.

I also have the 50-200mm. I have not used that lens nearly as much but I had not complaints with it and it gave me good images. It is very small and light, hardly larger than the 18-55mm. The main reason I have not used it as much is that I have longer zooms and primes for the long end but if you are looking for a very light weight zoom that turns in good results this would be it.

I will post some samples below, this first one is with the 18-55mm.

Tim
Attached Images

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 9:32 PM   #3

With the 50-200mm:

Attached Images

Old Jul 20, 2008, 9:33 PM   #4

Close focusing possibilities with the 18-55mm:

Attached Images

Old Jul 20, 2008, 9:39 PM   #5

Wow. Outstanding images all. If you don't mind me pressing just a bit further - and understanding that both of these lenses are f/5.6 at the far end - how do they do in lower light?
Old Jul 20, 2008, 10:39 PM   #6

I used to use the olderkit lens all the time when I was shooting with either the K10 or K100. Once I got the K20, I discovered that the camera could resolve more than the older kit lens could, so I now only use it on the K100. If you get the K200, the older kit lens would be fine, but if you get the K20, I'd recommend getting the new kit lens.

Here are a couple of pictures I've taken with the kit lens:

K10, indoors in not the greatest lighting (and obviously not recently):

Kit lens with the older K100:

Another indoor shot, K10 and kit lens:

Another indoor shot taken with the K10. As you can see, all of these aren't great arty shots, they are travel shots from a trip we took this past December. The kit lens isn't fast (as you noticed) so indoor shutter speeds are pretty slow. The one below was taken with a shutter speed of 1/10 sec. (love SR).

Last one. I think this was taken with the kit lens (it was taken with the K100, but not positive that it was the kit lens as this last picture was taken after I bought the 12-24).

I also have the 50-200, but I've never been completely happy with mine. It now needs repairing - somewhere along the line something has been knocked out of alignment. Other people take wonderful pictures with theirs, such as the one that Tim posted.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 11:36 PM   #7

Hi Biro, I have the K100D along with both kit lenses for the last 2 years. In my opinion the kit lenses are excellent - both of them. I went out and acquired the DA 16-45 f4 and have found that the 18-55 kit is still better, and this was after many sites (photodo.com, photozone.de, slrgear.com, etc.) tagged the 16-45 as a much better lens. There have been quite a few very happy kit lens users here.

The 18-55 lens does viginette at 18mm, but software corrects it VERY easily. The physical size of both lenses are small, light and very pocketable.

Here is an example of the 18-55 from a recent trip out to sea. 18mm, 1/350sec, f11 at ISO 200.
Attached Images

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 11:37 PM   #8

... and here is an example of the 50-200. I would like something to go to 300, but again this has been a very good lens for me.

50mm, 1/250s f9.5 iso 200

Attached Images

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2008, 11:04 AM   #9

These shots all provide excellent input - just what I need. Harriet, if that's your house at Christmas, you have a very nice home. Interested_observer, nice job out on the carrier. I expect to make my decision in thenext day or so. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 1:49 PM   #10

Not my house - that's the lobby of the Copper Queen Hotel, Bisbee Arizona. I can't quite remember, but think it was built in the early 1900's
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote