Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jul 26, 2008, 7:53 PM   #1

I finally received my Bigma today and couldn't wait to try it out with my K10D. I was disappointed to find out that apparently the 'A' setting on the aperture ring does not work. The zoom and the autofocus work great, but the aperture only registers as 'F--' in the viewfinder. No matter what mode I set the camera on (except for manual) it says that it is in Aperture Priority. Even though it says F-- in the viewfinder when you look at the EXIF info it shows an aperture value of f4 or f6.3orwhatever the max aperture is for the selected focal length. I canuse the lens in manual aperture mode and it works with the same limitations as a lens with no 'A' setting.

My question is, has anyone else had this problem? Or is there somesetting thatI am missing on tis lens?

Thanks,

Steve
Odinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2008, 12:06 AM   #2

Hi Steve,

There's a little button on the aperture ring that allows it to be turned past the smallest aperture value to the "A" position, and it locks it there until depressed again. I'm a long-time Pentax user, and I almost freaked when I mounted my "new" very expensive Sigma EX 300/2.8 for the first time and saw the F--- in the viewfinder. I was very relieved to find that the aperture ring was not in the "A" position. . .:-), and quickly moved it there to stay.

If that isn't the problem, dirty electrical contacts are the most common problem, and a wipe with a good, lint-free cloth usually will make a difference.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2008, 11:05 AM   #3

My 50-500 works with the A setting but like Scott said you have to depress the button to get it to the "A" position.. I don't use it much myself but it will work. The protrusion of the penta-prism housing makes it too hard for me to move it when on the camera. Someone with smaller fingers might not have that problem, but my big paws just don't fit there.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2008, 11:41 AM   #4

Thanks for the response Scott and Dawg,

Like Dawg, my hands are too big to lock the ring in place with the lens on the camera so I have to lock the ring in place before I mount the camera. The ring does lock in solidly on the 'A' position though. I tried cleaning the contacts on both the lens and the camera and while trying the lens I did get a brief moment of the F stop registering. I noticed that there is a slight play in the mount and if I apply pressure to the right slightly I can occaisionally get the F stop to appear, but not on a regular basis. I guess I'll be sending it back and try again. I've waited long enough, another week or so won't kill me.

Thanks,

Steve
Old Jul 29, 2008, 1:07 PM   #5

Odinz wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the response Scott and Dawg,

Like Dawg, my hands are too big to lock the ring in place with the lens on the camera so I have to lock the ring in place before I mount the camera. The ring does lock in solidly on the 'A' position though. I tried cleaning the contacts on both the lens and the camera and while trying the lens I did get a brief moment of the F stop registering. I noticed that there is a slight play in the mount and if I apply pressure to the right slightly I can occaisionally get the F stop to appear, but not on a regular basis. I guess I'll be sending it back and try again. I've waited long enough, another week or so won't kill me.

Thanks,

Steve
The lens is worth getting it right. Though I seldom use the auto aperture setting it does work every time I set it there. Hope it all works out for you. Like I said the lens is worth it. Mine resides on my K10D about 90 percent of the time. The range is so usable for most shots.

Dawg

Old Jul 29, 2008, 1:28 PM   #6

Thanks Dawg,

I just got off the phone with Sigma tech and I'm boxing the lens up right now. After messing with it some more this morning I discovered that it doesn't appear to be the slight play in the mount, but if I apply pressure to the aperture ring with my finger while it's set in the 'A' setting, the aperture does in fact show up in the camera, if I remove my finger it disappears. I was able do take several shots and the lens seems to work beautifully otherwise. I can't wait to get it back and take it out for a good test.

Steve
Old Jul 29, 2008, 10:45 PM   #7

Odinz wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Dawg,

I just got off the phone with Sigma tech and I'm boxing the lens up right now. After messing with it some more this morning I discovered that it doesn't appear to be the slight play in the mount, but if I apply pressure to the aperture ring with my finger while it's set in the 'A' setting, the aperture does in fact show up in the camera, if I remove my finger it disappears. I was able do take several shots and the lens seems to work beautifully otherwise. I can't wait to get it back and take it out for a good test.

Steve
Hope you get it back soon. Like I said. It is worth the effort. Luck!!!

Dawg
Old Jul 30, 2008, 3:07 AM   #8

Odinz wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Dawg,

I just got off the phone with Sigma tech and I'm boxing the lens up right now. After messing with it some more this morning I discovered that it doesn't appear to be the slightÂ* play in the mount, but if I apply pressure to the aperture ring with my finger while it's set in the 'A' setting, the aperture does in fact show up in the camera, if I remove my finger it disappears. I was able do take several shots and the lens seems to work beautifully otherwise. I can't wait to get it back and take it out for a good test.

Steve
Hi Steve,

Good job of localizing the problem. Sounds like a contact problem in the aperture mechanism. It's always best to have an idea what's wrong before sending it in. Best wishes for a speedy repair or replacement. There's nothing quite as bad as receiving a new toy and not being able to play -- especially when it's an expensive one :-)

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 3:03 PM   #9

I would be curious to know how this worked out for Odinz. My Bigma has developed a similar symptom. In the "A" position, the"F--" message flickers back and forth with the set F-stop in Av mode. Sounds like the same thing may be happening. Only happens with the Bigma. I'm going to do a thorough cleaning, but I suspect an aperture ring problem.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 5:40 PM   #10

It worked out great. Sigma wasa pleasureto deal with, I called their service number and they said itsounded like ashort in one of the connections on the aperture ring. I sent the lens to them them second day shipping and I had it back from them in less than 1 week and it works like a dream. No more F-- when it's set in the 'A' position. I can't tell if they replaced anything or just pulled the mount and fixed the connection, either way I haven't had a problem since.

Steve