Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jul 28, 2008, 10:37 PM   #11

Thanks I/O. I will check out PTL lens. I don't know that I have any interest in stitching right now but I would like to see how well images defish in software.

It is a very interesting lens as you have said before. The difference between how the lens behaves at 10mm is so much different than 17mm that it is more like having two different lenses. I am enjoying experimenting with it, many goofy shots thus far but I am also seeing more serious application.

Thanks,

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2008, 7:08 AM   #12

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

interested_observer wrote:
Quote:
Wow! - Thanks Dawg....

I am flying to the Washington DC area to present a critical design review for my project. However I just found that the National Air and Space Museam has an annex at Dulles airport, that is open on some days till 7.30pm. I think that there is one day that I can get there and be able to spend maybe 2 to 3 hours. Another opportunity to photograph BIG things with this little lens, up close, along with my 16-45 and or the Kit. So we will see what I can do with this.
I visited the NASM annex at Dulles last December with the 10-17mmFE and had a blast! The close confines makes this lens ideal! Will be looking forward to some images. Here's are a couple from my visit ithere in Dec 07:

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2008, 10:27 AM   #13

Hi Jay,

I like your composition A LOT! Your gallery shot was something that I didn't see as I was under the catwalk and had a different view, but your shot really relayed the feeling that the view was filled with airplanes - EVERYWHERE!!!

I was able to get out of the office on our prep day and hit the Udvar-Hazy Museum by 5pm. Unfortunately, it closed at 5.30 pm every day, the downtown main museum was open till 7.30. So the first time I had 30 minutes (85 pictures with the kit lens - I didn't want to take time changing). And then I was able to stop on my way to the airport, a couple of days later for another 45 minute visit. Not nearly enough time, as I was taking pictures and not really "enjoying" everything the museum had to offer. The second visit I used the 16-45 and then on my way out I switched to the 10-17.

This set of visits, has somewhat changed my mind on wide angle and interior shots to some degree. Probably not a major shift, but in situations like this, where light is at a premium, a faster lens would have help a great deal - actually it would have had a major influence across the board - primarly with image quality, and probably with some auto focusing issues especially. Also, the first visit really did help, even though it was short (way too short), I was able to review the images and see what worked and what didn't (with the kit lens). With the lower light levels, but still a lot of contrast, I had more than a few out of focus shots. All the lenses had a number of situations where they just auto focused incorrectly, and I wound up switching to manual more than a few times. However at f3.5 the depth of field is narrowed. (I did try a manual focus, f22 set of shots and it just went terrible - even using the monopod.) The first day I shot ISO set to automatic (essentially iso 800), and the noise was not what I wanted (or expected). So for the second time at the museum, I fixed the ISO to 200 (my best) and just let the f stop and shutter speed do what ever they were going to do. Where I am going with this, is obviousley a faster lens would have been much appreciated. Thus, something like the 11-16 f2.8 would have made a real big difference in this particular type of situation.

I have to thank Dennis for the Monopod suggestion. After the first day, I picked up a Monopod and used it quite a bit on my second visit. I think that is another tool that did help quite a bit. What I didn't remember was if image stablization needed to be turned off, since the Monopod helped in one axis and not all axis. So the vast majority of shots I had it on and a few I turned it off.

So here are a few of the shots I took with the 10-17, none of which were as dramatic as the one Jay took. It really is a matter of prespective and opportunity. I did not have the time and opportunity to walk on the catwalks with the 10-17 - which was a major mistake, now that I look back on it. The views and picture opportunities would have really suited the 10-17. It just did not cross my mind, plus I had a plane to catch in a few minutes.

Here are a couple of my 10-17 FE shots - all at 10mm.....

Attached Images

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2008, 10:28 AM   #14

Here is another.....

Attached Images

Old Aug 2, 2008, 10:29 AM   #15

... and one last one.

Enjoy!

Attached Images

Old Aug 2, 2008, 10:49 AM   #16

Hi Jay,

The more I look at your gallery shot, the more disappointed I am, that I did not see your shot before my second visit. I would have made sure to have taken one of my own. You used the height and prespective of the vantage point to frame the Concord perfectly with everything else around it - and these are not small objects by any reach. That is the one image that really visually sums up the entire Museum visit.

I was also somewhat anoyed that my shots of the space shuttle with the 10-17 did not really do it justice. On a more positive note - there is always the next visit!!!!!
Old Aug 10, 2008, 11:48 AM   #17

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

interested_observer wrote:
Quote:
Hi Jay,

I was also somewhat anoyed that my shots of the space shuttle with the 10-17 did not really do it justice. On a more positive note - there is always the next visit!!!!!
Just got back from being out of town (including in Washington DC) for the week--ergo the delayed response. DId not go back to the Smithsonian, but visited Arlington National Cemetary instead...yes with the FE lens! I need to sort through the pictures and post some this week.

Sorry that your pics of the space shuttle did not turn out to your likiing. Actually I find that getting overhead or "underhead" perspectives with the FE lens tends to produce the best images. Having said that I also find that every image with a FE has a unique perpective. For instance, I like your picture of the B707 as it shows the immense size ofthe aircraftin a manner that could not be conveyed with a regular lens.

While you were there, did you get a good view of Dulles from the control tower at the museum? Unfortuantely, when I visited it was very foggy and visibility was about as far as the museum parking lot!

Jay

I

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote