Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Aug 5, 2008, 9:21 PM   #1

Just bought a Tamron 90mm macro F2.8SP. Did a test macro shot right in my car with the direct on-board flash - what else can I do while raining and testing before the transaction. Oops sorry about the dust. I hardly clean my car.

Non-macro shot at F2.8. Seems quite comparable to my FA100mmF2.8 which is still with my daughter.

Another dusty junk item non-macro shot at F2.8 with dust around the knob

So far very positive and the bokeh seems pleasing.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2008, 10:44 PM   #2

Looks very good. I've always liked the results other people get with this lens. Bet you hardly see that dust when you look at the car - it's only when you see it through a macro lens that you realize just how much there is. You should see my keyboard!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 3:52 AM   #3

Very sharp Daniel, it's a nice lens, hope you were fortunate enough to get a PKA adaptor with it, although they're no problem to use manually. Who Knows you may

set a trend in macro dust pictures. LOL ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 5:36 AM   #4

jachol wrote:
Quote:
Very sharp Daniel, it's a nice lens, hope you were fortunate enough to get a PKA adaptor with it, although they're no problem to use manually. Who Knows you may

set a trend in macro dust pictures. LOL ... Jack
Well Scott and Roy have got all those pka mount.

Mine is the AF 90mm f/2.8 Di version. Not the adaptall one. And what is interesting is the NON-macro hair shot at F2.8. Hair shot in macro shot is taken for granted. Aren't we spoilt?

Daniel
Old Aug 6, 2008, 5:59 AM   #5

OK Daniel,

I tend to forget that there's later models than the AD2 series, whichever you have it's an excellent lens.

It's interesting to note that PKA AD2 adaptors often sell for as much as the lens itself, at least that's my experience, and why I made the earlier comment. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 10:50 AM   #6

Nice lens Daniel. That second photo has the stitching jumping out at you....Are we now doing a "Show Me Your Dust" series? :lol:

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 5:09 AM   #7

Ok got a couple of non-macro and fairly wide open shots from this lens last weekend. The bokeh is difficult to control .

What are you guys' view?

Daniel
Old Aug 13, 2008, 2:04 PM   #8

Just my opinion/experience (given that this type of photography isn't my normal thing), but I think your background in the first oneis difficult for any macro lens of this sort - I have similar results with the Viv 105 macro and flowers with a pine needle background, or if they are fairly close to the ground. About the only thing you can do is open up even more and hope for the best (or do some selective blurring in pp). Part of it is that the lenses are so sharp, part of it is the light/dark dots of the background. I like the second one.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 5:03 PM   #9

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Just my opinion/experience (given that this type of photography isn't my normal thing), but I think your background in the first one¬*is difficult for any macro lens of this sort - I have similar results with the Viv 105 macro and flowers with a pine needle background, or if they are fairly close to the ground.¬* About the only thing you can do is open up even more and hope for the best (or do some selective blurring in pp).¬* Part of it is that the lenses are so sharp, part of it is the light/dark dots of the background.¬* I like the second one.
Have not had chance of doing more non-macro lately...

Daniel
Old Aug 26, 2008, 8:39 PM   #10

I use a vignette blur filter from Nik Color Efexs Pro suite to re-blur the background in those shots. Can work miracles.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote