Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Aug 14, 2008, 8:45 PM   #1

I had my 2nd case of LBA and bought a Pentax-M lens off of Ebay. I have the18-55 and the 50-200 DA lenses for my k100d but I was hoping to get a faster lens since the widest they shoot is 4 to 5.6 depending on the zoom length.

I found a good looking lens that goes down to 2.8 but 10 minutes before the auction ended I realized that the M lenses dont have auto exposure functions. My old standard 50mm A lens that came with my old K1000 from HS is auto and I still use it. But I'm not sure if the M lens will just be troublesome for me.

Does anybody still use M lenses on their Pentax digitals?
JBoyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2008, 9:40 PM   #2

Yes, i do and they are great. You have to go into the menu and set it to allow aperature. Basiically thats it. You just have to play with it and figure out what setting suit you. My K10d is nothing like it was when it came out of the box. I have changed a lot of things to suit me whether im in av or tv or manual when using the manual lens's as far as the wheels go.

Cheers. Keith
Keithg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 10:10 PM   #3

I occasionally use my old M and K lenses, and don't find them a problem. Besides setting the camera to allow the use of the aperture ring, you use the M mode, set theaperture on the lens,and push the AE-L button to let the camera temporarily stop down the lens and meter. That's the only thing extra you have to do. One nice thing that I like with them is that since you are using M mode, the camera maintains the same shutter speed until you either change it or push the AE-L button to re-meter. If you are shooting in the same lighting conditions, you set the speed once, then leave it alone to keep the same exposure - nice if you are shooting in difficult situations and have settings you like. I found pushing the button quickly became second nature and would occasionally find myself pushing it even though I had changed to a auto exposure lens.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2008, 8:55 AM   #4

I had this lens back in my 35mm days. Built like a tank-not like today's lenses-it is not a one push zoom. It has one ring for focusing and one ring for zooming. Takes a little while to get used to it and I wouldn't recommend it for any fast moving subjects.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2008, 4:13 PM   #5

Oh no. Im going to be using it more for low-light portraits and when my guitarists friends have shows. Theyre big fans of colored gels so I'd rather not use flash. You know how that goes. My only other lens that opens wider than this one is my 50mm-A that came with my K1000.
I'm still going to use the other kit lenses for general purpose shooting.

Mtngal, youre right about getting used to using the AE-L button. Im practicing with my old 50mm and it becomes second nature pretty quickly.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 2:49 AM   #6

I got the lens a couple of days ago and the images are great if not a bit underexposed if i go by the stop-down metering.
It has a macro function on the lens by using a notch by the 80mm marker. Click past it and youre in Macro. The thing is that I cant seem to take close up shots with it at all. Itll focus at the same distance as if im not using macro at all- about 4 ft. Am I missing something? Do I need to be at a certain f-stop? If anybody has any of these M lenses please let me know.
I attached a pic of the lens.
Attached Images

Old Aug 23, 2008, 10:37 AM   #7

for you're next case of LBA look for an A35-105/3.5. not quite as wide but the f3.5 is constant thru out the range. it's also VERY sharp at f3.5 . you'll have to pay for this one tho. usually aroung 150usd if you can find one. it took me 2years to get one at my price.. it's my standard lens now.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2008, 3:52 AM   #8

Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

JBoyde wrote:
Quote:
It has a macro function on the lens by using a notch by the 80mm marker. Click past it and youre in Macro. The thing is that I cant seem to take close up shots with it at all. Itll focus at the same distance as if im not using macro at all- about 4 ft. Am I missing something?
In order to macro-focus, you need to pull the front (focusing) element forward. If the front element won't pull forward, your lens might be damaged. Good luck.
RioRico is offline   Reply With Quote