Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Sep 3, 2008, 11:05 AM   #1

At $34000.00 not a bad buy but no Pentax mount. f/2.8 at 500mm and f/5.6 at 1000mm makes this a great sports lens. And since it is already green it wouldn't require camouflage for wild life shooting. Probably be the max for hand held for this ole Dawg though.
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...mp;navigator=3

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2008, 12:57 PM   #2

for that much you'd have enough $$ to custom build a mount but i'll bet even money that sigma would fit it for you if you showed up with the cash
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 7:36 PM   #3

Just make an adapter ring and use it fully manual Dawg!:lol:

It must be great to look through, my 1000mm f8 (refractor telescope) does a great job though it is a bit unwieldily!

John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 12:11 AM   #4

robar wrote:
Quote:
for that much you'd have enough $$ to custom build a mount but i'll bet even money that sigma would fit it for you if you showed up with the cash
Bet yer right Roy.

Dawg
Old Sep 5, 2008, 12:12 AM   #5

John Hill wrote:
Quote:
Just make an adapter ring and use it fully manual Dawg!:lol:

It must be great to look through, my 1000mm f8 (refractor telescope) does a great job though it is a bit unwieldily!

I remember that little lens!! LOL

Dawg
Old Sep 5, 2008, 1:42 PM   #6

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
At $34000.00 not a bad buy but no Pentax mount. f/2.8 at 500mm and f/5.6 at 1000mm makes this a great sports lens. And since it is already green it wouldn't require camouflage for wild life shooting. Probably be the max for hand held for this ole Dawg though.

Dawg

At that cost would it not be better to buy a proper telescope ..........musket

musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 3:33 PM   #7

musket wrote:
Quote:
bigdawg wrote:
Quote:

Dawg

At that cost would it not be better to buy a proper telescope ..........musket
If I ever bought one at that price, I'd expect the folks with the straight jacket and butterfly nets to show up on the front door.

Dawg
Old Sep 5, 2008, 4:46 PM   #8

Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

The trick is, don't buy it with your own cash. Get someone else to buy it for you. Write a grant proposal, get a foundation to give or loan it to you. Volunteer to be a lab rat for unspeakable tests, in exchange for the lens. Better yet: get an SBA loan, open a lens-rental shop, buy the lens, let others pay you for using it. Then when Sigma releases the next edition, you can buy the new, sell the old (at a profit) and pay off the loan, and not be stuck with last year's model.

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
If I ever bought one at that price, I'd expect the folks with the straight jacket and butterfly nets to show up on the front door.
RioRico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 5:13 PM   #9

RioRico wrote:
Quote:
The trick is, don't buy it with your own cash. Get someone else to buy it for you. Write a grant proposal, get a foundation to give or loan it to you. Volunteer to be a lab rat for unspeakable tests, in exchange for the lens. Better yet: get an SBA loan, open a lens-rental shop, buy the lens, let others pay you for using it. Then when Sigma releases the next edition, you can buy the new, sell the old (at a profit) and pay off the loan, and not be stuck with last year's model.

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Dang Rico!!!! You need to put that on a CD and sell it...Or at least Start a blog and post it as a tutorial...Jeez....That last would work if I could get the wife to go along with it......ORRRR...Wonder if a divorce would really cost me that much......Think-think-think-think....Sound of gears being down shifted and brakes squalling....Reality says these things won't happen....Oh well...My
Bigma is still the boss here and it has yet to let me down, performing beyond my abilities any way.

Dawg
Old Sep 7, 2008, 9:46 AM   #10

Dawg,

If you need a telescope, I have one for you...... My last one was 9.2 meters at 78 square meters of mirror. Not quite as portable as the Sigma, though.

Here is my star tracking system. The ultimate auto-focusing system...

http://www.as.utexas.edu/mcdonald/het/het_gen_02.html
Attached Images

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote