Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Sep 19, 2008, 7:23 PM   #11

Wow! Beautiful country. I look forward to your other shots.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2008, 6:15 AM   #12

these are brilliant photos
and show the scenery beautifully
they sure make one want to visit the area

i am off to the east coast USA soon
so 2700 photos is what i am aiming for?? lol
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2008, 11:11 PM   #13

Thank you for the compliments. At this rate I will have to filter thefeedback to my wife or it may go to her head.

We got through the first pass of the Denali pics. I am a little dissappointed with a number of the animal pics (they refused to pose correctly for the light) but many of the landscapes are amazing (to me). After review, I have decided a Dall sheep is one of the most difficult subjects to get right quickly. Anyhow, work is going to have me burried until the end of the week. Hopefully by then we can decide on the best of the bunch so I don't kill the internet with too many pics.:lol:

Question: Am I shrinking the pics too much? When I look at them so small, I feel some of their majesty/essence is lost but I am trying to be easy on the people with slower connections. Any suggestions for the "perfect" size?

sgarthee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2008, 11:14 PM   #14

Gumnut wrote:
Quote:
these are brilliant photos
and show the scenery beautifully
they sure make one want to visit the area

i am off to the east coast USA soon
so 2700 photos is what i am aiming for?? lol
Thanks. I have to give 90% of the credit to my wife since she took 90% of the pics.

Well I can't say how many photos to strive for. I took 1700ish in 1.5 days at an air show last year.:G
Old Sep 23, 2008, 8:40 PM   #15

sgarthee wrote:
Quote:
Question: Am I shrinking the pics too much? When I look at them so small, I feel some of their majesty/essence is lost but I am trying to be easy on the people with slower connections. Any suggestions for the "perfect" size
I generally aim for 800 pixels on the widest side. Many of the shots I post are 800x640 as I have already cropped for 8x10. I have not heard any complaints to I think you would be safe in that range.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2008, 4:42 PM   #16

OK we have made a lot of progress. Here are 3 of McKinnley (sp?). All are from day 1 in Denali.

55-300 at 55; 60 miles away

same shot zoomed to 135 (not cropped)

Me on a trail at the visitor center 60 miles into the park. The mountain is directly above me but hidden in the clouds (where it remained).

and here is a general one with the red of the willow very prevalant.

Old Oct 15, 2008, 12:06 PM   #17

OK we have finally made a run through the entire lot. There are so many great landscape shots that it is very hard to pare them down to post. The wildlife pics are a slight let down. Onward... all shots were taken with K10D and DA 55-300.

A few Bear shots

Our only decent wolf. Not great but it proves we saw one.:-)

Some of the sled dogs at the Denali Ranger Headquarters (too small on the depth of focus but she likes the green setting:roll

A Ptarmington

One of Polychrome Pass

I think that is it from Alaska. There are a bunch more that I really like but I think I should stop while I am ahead.

Old Oct 15, 2008, 3:08 PM   #18

Very nice photos! The bear pictures are very nice, and so is the tail on your wolf. From that angle how can you tell a coyote from a wolf? They both look pretty scrawny to me.

What was it that you didn't like about yourwildlife pictures (was it equipment or technique?), and what do you think would make them better? I'm thinking about the 55-300, not so much for it's 300mm capability but because I miss something around 200, so if you think your problems were equipment-related, I'd be interested in knowing what they were. If they were technique, then you have my sympathy as I'm all too aware of my own limitations!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2008, 11:24 PM   #19

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Very nice photos! The bear pictures are very nice, and so is the tail on your wolf. From that angle how can you tell a coyote from a wolf? They both look pretty scrawny to me.

What was it that you didn't like about yourwildlife pictures (was it equipment or technique?), and what do you think would make them better? I'm thinking about the 55-300, not so much for it's 300mm capability but because I miss something around 200, so if you think your problems were equipment-related, I'd be interested in knowing what they were. If they were technique, then you have my sympathy as I'm all too aware of my own limitations!
Thank you.

I guess the biggest problem with the wildlife pictures is lack of cooperation! Almost every shot was taken from a bus with 59 other people trying to get the same shot and animals that were not concerned with lighting.:GTo be fair most of the people on any buswe boardedwereconsiderateand wouldshare their spacefor others to take pictures. There was really only one person we rode with that needed his Cannon L glass rammed deep where the sun don't shine. However, hand holding 300 mm on a bus can be a challenge under any condition and the sun is where the sun is. As with most situations, I am probably expecting more than is reasonable when shooting wild animals at a distance with 59 other people on a bus.

I cannot fault the DA 55-300. I really like it's color and contrast much better than the DA 50-200 and the older Tamron 70-300 that I have. There is something about how it focuses that I just can't put my finger on. It seems to really take you seriously when you use center weighted or center spot focus and can hunt if you are shooting a moving subject and loose the subject from dead center as you track it. I really need to shoot more airshows or horses at the track to define it exactly. With that said, I wouldn't return it if you gave me my money back. I think it is just something I need to understand better.

I guess both of those two long paragraphs are saying any shortcomings are the result of operator error.While I know you are used to the higher end Pentax glass, I would suggest you try the DA 55-300.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 9:01 AM   #20

That makes a lot of sense - situations do make the life of a photographer difficult, especially shooting through windshields and car windows. Thanks for the explanation, also about the focusing characteristics. I've still got the lens in the back of my mind, just don't know where I want to go with it (and can't afford anything at the moment anyway).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote