Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Sep 12, 2008, 11:44 AM   #1

So we are back from Alaska with about 2700 pics. We went to Anchorage, Girdwood (Portage Glacier), Seward (Exit Glacier & Ressurection Bay), Kenai, and Denali. We took the K10D, kit 18-50 lens, and the new 55-300. We were very lucky because it did not rainmore than50% of the time, the fall colors were at the optimum in Denali, we saw a ton of wildlife in Denali, and Mt McKinnley was out for us a number of times. On the second day in Denali we saw 13 bears. That was a record for the vetran bus driver. Sadly it did rain the entire 2 days we were in Seward. My assuption that the kit lens and the 55-300 would cover it all was mostly correct. We never really wanted anything much wider. We (I) often wanted something bigger for the wildlife (like the Bigma) but when shooting from a (school) bus, I doubt the Bigma would have worked real well.The combination of the 18-50 and 55-300 was really about perfect when you look at size, weight, cost, flexability, and quality.

We are slowly moving through all the pics so I will post the better ones as they are discovered.
sgarthee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2008, 8:24 PM   #2

Welcome back Scott, looking forward to seeing the pics!

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2008, 8:06 PM   #3

Ditto what Tim sed!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2008, 9:09 PM   #4

Can't wait to see how the 55-300 did on your trip. I've always wanted to go to Alaska - I'll make it there one of these days...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2008, 10:18 PM   #5

OK we are moving really slow sorting the pics. Since my wife took almost all of them, she is taking her time picking out her keepers. Anyhow here are a few that jumped out so far...

From the train to Denali (kit lens and keep in mind we were moving)

One I took at Lake Hood in Anchorage (new 55-300)

We have not gotten to the wildlife and scenery of Denali yet. I hope to have a number of great shots from there.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 9:44 PM   #6

2 more...

(55-300 at 260 and cropped) A very wet Bald Eagle at Seward

(kit lens) Small boat harbor at Seward

Old Sep 17, 2008, 9:55 PM   #7

Wonderful shots - I really love the third one (my type of picture). Looks like you had lots of good subjects, and you aren't helping me deal with my itchy feet. I sure want to visit Alaska one of these days.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 7:52 AM   #8

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Wonderful shots - I really love the third one (my type of picture). Looks like you had lots of good subjects, and you aren't helping me deal with my itchy feet. I sure want to visit Alaska one of these days.
Thanks. I will pass your comments to my wife. She took the one you like most.

If this is making you want to go, wait until we get into the ones from Denali. The colors were at their peak and we have been told we were very lucky seeing McKinley each day and all the wildlife. I think we saw McKinley in 10 diffferent places over 3 days and we saw 23 brown bears, over 24 Dall Sheep, over 12 Caribou, about 8 Moose, multiple Golden Eagles, multiple other raptors, Ptarmigan, Spruce Grouse, Artic Hares, Artic Ground Squirrels, and a Wolf. The only big wildlife attractions we did not see were a Wolverine (very, very elusive) and a Lynx.

Of course I am going to be crushed if the keeper rate is really low from the Denali part of our trip.:sad:
Old Sep 18, 2008, 7:23 PM   #9

Wow, those are all really nice Scott. Like Harriet, I would love to visit Alaska someday. I am not picking a favorite, they are all good.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 8:44 PM   #10

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
Wow, those are all really nice Scott. Like Harriet, I would love to visit Alaska someday. I am not picking a favorite, they are all good.

Tim

Thank you. I will relay the comments to my wife since she took most of those. I ended-up being the sherpa most of the time on this trip.:G

I also feel these are pretty good but hopefully some great ones will surface as we move on through them all. I am sure I will add some more to this thread as we progress.

I do suggest that anyone who can find a way, visits Alaska at some point. This is my 3rd time up there (2 other times were work) and it is an entirely different place from most of the US.

EDIT: Here is a different shot from the train to Denali