Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Oct 4, 2008, 4:20 PM   #21

beachboy2 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Daniel, great animal shot.

Here's a WA WA photo. It's the start of construction of BHPs new office block in Perth.

Taken with Sigma 10-20 EX at 10mm. 1/500, ISO 100 and F 9.5.

Cheers

bb2
bb2
Did you do any cropping? Seems not quite wide at 10mm.
Impressive corner performance of the lens indeed

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2008, 10:17 PM   #22

Hi Daniel

The original photo had a small amount of barrell? distortion. I adjusted distortion to straighten verticals. A tiny crop to regain rectangular photo area and lose a shadow across the bottom of the photo caused by the pedestrian bridge from where I took the photo. Iam impressed with the Sigma 10-20. I posted elsewhere that my choice from online research would have been the Sigma 12-24, but price caused me to decide on this lens. Very happy with it. CA not noticeable. As the photo above shows, vignetting not an issue. My impression is that with any WA lens, there can be some variation between copies. Perhaps I was lucky. I did adjust the focus position on the K20D by a lot.

cheers

bb2
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2008, 9:31 PM   #23

Seems ironic that I live in Vermont, but the bestWA shot I have was taken in Denver this past summer. Our son is a volunteer with AmeriCorps based in Denver, and my wife and I visited over the July 4 holiday. We attended the Colorado Rockies baseball game on the 4th of July, and naturally, fireworks followed the game. I shot this hand held with my K100D, with the 16-45 f/4 lens set to 16mm.
Attached Images

mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2008, 11:56 PM   #24

Hi Daniel, Well this is the most interesting area of photography for me. My favorite image is from this June when I was out to sea supporting one of my company's systems. Its of an under way replenishment with a destroyer. We were running in to the sunset, there was about a 40 knot head wind. This is using the Pentax 10-17 FE at 10mm uncropped, so its a full 180 degree, field of view from edge to edge. I was out on the starboard side elevator, out over the water.
Attached Images

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2008, 5:52 AM   #25

interested_observer wrote:
Quote:
Hi Daniel,* Well this is the most interesting area of photography for me.* My favorite image is from this June when I was out to sea supporting one of my company's systems.* Its of an under way replenishment with a destroyer.* We were running in to the sunset, there was about a 40 know wind.* This is using the Pentax 10-17 FE at 10mm uncropped, so its a full 180 degree, field of view from edge to edge.
Wow great shot
The lens' flare resistance is a lot better than I thought. Well done. In similar situation my Zenitar may likely fail. Just may as shooting against light is generally a no no for fish eye lens

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2008, 10:13 AM   #26

Hi Daniel, Thanks! I do have to say that I have stuck to the Pentax lenses, and have been very happy (other than writing the check and paying the difference over other brands). The SMC coating from what I have seen and read, certainly appear to offer a significant difference between other brands. I have never really had any flare problems, and I violate the "don't shoot into the sun" rule all the time.

I have to attribute part of this image to Harriett - mtngal. I had been trying to decide if I should get the 12-24 and found myself a week prior to leaving and I had posted that I guess time had just run out. If I remember correctly, she posted that the 10-17 should do the job - just do not worry about it. Now if I had the 12-24, it would have been on the camera, and it is only 99 degrees wide, so I would only have been able to capture a bit of over half the image. I could not have changed lenses with a 40 knot wind, and they were darkening ship, so everyone had to leave the flight deck, so the picture would have been lost. Also, I know that everyone says image stabilization is really for telephoto work. However, with the wind, the camera and I were being blown around quite a bit. No IS no image. So in body stabilization really does work, especially when no vendor makes IS wide angle lenses.

One of the reasons I sort of let my arm be twisted at work to go out to sea and support this exercise, was to get an image exactly like this. Something at sea, extreme wide angle, that most people never get to see. I figured, first time in 30 years, and probably the last time - so take the opportunity.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2008, 11:01 PM   #27

I happened to be going through some pictures I took before I went on vacation, andcame acrossthis one. Taken with the DA12-24 at 12mm in August.

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote